What it Feels Like to Be Misunderstood

Hello everyone! I will be writing this MyTake especially for all of you who feel misunderstood, or who are trying to understand what is going through the mind of someone who is being misunderstood. My objective by this Take is to advise, support and explain. Hope you guys enjoy!

Let me just begin with a slight preface. I am a small- town girl. Shy, isolated, naive and young. I was never good at making friends. The friends I had came to me, but they were not strong friends as they liked to step over me, make me become someone I was not, and they made me feel like the bad person. So, I always lost every friendship I had. Now as I am a senior in high school, I am beginning to get used to it. Teenage life was never suitable for me.

What it Feels Like to Be Misunderstood

1. You are lonely.

That is probably the biggest part of being misunderstood. People leave you alone because they can`t quite get into your head. This is something I feel every teenager or young kid wants with someone else. They want to know your secrets, your deepest desires and every brain cell worth of thought. If they can`t know everything about you, you are a stranger to them. I was always a private, quiet person, and I think people were and are scared of me.

2. You have the loudest mind and you observe everything.

People shut you up because they make you feel your voice is less worth than theirs. I made the stupid decision by getting involved in a student committee at school, and no one in the group is considering my contributions. Since I cannot express myself verbally, I have much more time to consider my choice of words. I have so much to say, so many ideas to share. I just can`t, because they wouldn`t be interesting to anyone.

When it comes to observations, you find yourself to be more conscious of your surroundings. You see people in different situations, how they act and how you could do it differently. You feel like you know people before you even talk to them.

3. You keep thinking something is terribly wrong with you.

Do I act like an asshole? Do I talk too much? Do I express narcissistic traits? Am I a sociopath? These thoughts race my mind because they seem to be the only explanations to why people are ignoring me. If they are ignoring me, it has to mean it`s my problem. It kind of fucks you up since you go around thinking you have a mental disability.

4. You (prefer to) avoid the social stuff.

... which really sucks for me because I used to be social. I loved to be with a bunch of people and having fun. Now I feel like nobody cares, and I actually enjoy being alone or with my family binge-watching a series or playing board games. I don`t have to prove something of myself, nor do I have to make an effort to talk to a bunch of people and befriend them.

5. You desperately want to be seen, but at the same time, you like the feeling that you are invisible.

When you are misunderstood, people treat you like you are invisible. It feels good since you don`t have to do anything about it. They don`t care about anything you do. At least there is no pressure because of that. If everyone sees and notices you, the attention can be exhausting sometimes.

6. People annoy you more than usual.

Ever feel like you could roll your eyes at those people on the bus who won`t shut up about their daughter`s newborn baby? Laughing, talking, babbling about nonsense stuff that will not matter after a while. Yeah, people annoy the shit out of you for no reason at all. You even hate it when someone starts laughing with their best friend. It feels like jealousy, and maybe it is, but it annoys you that they are laughing for no legitimate reason. Someone had a fake ass interview while speaking in a childish voice? Yeah, I`m laughing my ass off.

7. You are thinking about ways to prove people wrong.

Maybe you join a sports club, organization or do voluntary work. The misunderstood people I know love to prove themselves for what they are worth. They can`t express themselves directly in a proper way, so they speak through actions, which I totally respect.

1121

Most Helpful Guys

• You must be my twin sister 👫 Pretty much everything here applies to me. I'm still trying to fit into the environment I'm surrounded by. Wondering how long I can last. Does your family ever worry about you? Do they bug you about the way you are not living a "Full Life"?

• Sometimes, yes hahaha

• My girlfriend and I met by kinda feeling like the weird ones. It wasn't that we actually were weird, it was more that we realized that interacting with people who didn't think like us is just so difficult.

Most Helpful Girls

• I was about to say it is their loss not yours if you are misunderstood. Famous and successful people were also misunderstood like Albert Einstein who made 1000 bulbs before getting it right and Galileo who spoke about the sun's position in the solar system and the Church got angry with him.

the guy who spoke about bacteria on hands and he said surgeons should wash their hands after every operation- people laughed at him and thought he was crazy but many women died because the surgeons used the same dirty equipment, they didn't wash their hands or their equipment

Lonely and misunderstood people are more creative, intelligent, they observe more, and you literally described my life with this mytake.

I am misunderstood by my parents. The woman who gave birth to me, whose blood runs in my veins, who carried me in her womb for 9 months doesn't understand me.

When I come home tired, my parents don't give me a warm welcome, they don't say hello, ask about my day or say anything sweet. Instead, they shout and nag over petty things. My dad will start shouting at me for putting my bag and jacket on the sofa.

Yesterday, I had 9 hours of lectures, I got home at 7pm, and I told my mom that I got ill in the train, in the morning and a guy helped me carry my bag, I was expecting sympathy in return but instead she gave me a one hour lecture that I am not responsible enough, my bag could have been stolen, I don't take care of my belongings, my £500 laptop will be stolen, my bag is never zipped up, she screams to a point my head hurts, to a point I feel helpless and I feel like crying.

Lovers are also misunderstood by the society, they are also lonely, even today there are parents who are against love marriage, they call the best children disobedient and not good enough, just because they fell in love.

I feel pity on parents including mine, who never appreciate or understand their children. They may have the best, perfect and ideal children and still they are never happy.

• I can really relate to your MyTake! I enjoyed reading it too.
    I used to enjoy social events myself but now I would rather stay in and watch Netflix.
    Other people really annoy me now... and I'm always over analysing myself to try and figure out what's wrong with me.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 19

• Honey, this is everybody on the planet. If you can't sell people on your ideas and thoughts and concepts, then nothing happens. time to get outside yourself - practice practice practice.
    Social skills are learned - you can do this. And don't confuse shyness with introversion - they're two different things.

• I see myself in every point. Maybe not 100% on the point description, but this is very accurrate for me.
    I don't even have anything to add.
    I would welcome PM from you.

• Meh. Not impressed.

"I'm SOOOOOOOOO misunderstood."

Big fucking deal. Who isn't?

• So feeling misunderstood is wrong too... nice.

• Idiot, EVERYONE has had some time or another when they felt misunderstood--except, perhaps, if that person were a sociopath or narcissist. Anyone who has lived for any amount of time has had bad times to go through, times when they felt misunderstood. How is that hard to accept?

• Grow up.

• If you prefer to avoid being social, you'll never be understood I guess. And people won't misunderstand you if you don't talk to them and stay in the background

• Hey this take was very intuitive. I like everything you have to say.

• A lot of what you say describes me perfectly. I'm misunderstood 99.999 percent of the time.

• It sucks. I'm misunderstood enough. People sometimes tend to miss the messages I'm trying to give.

• Highly intelligent people can relate. Only them can understand themselves.

• You just described an introvert and of course many people understand introverts

• It’s chilling. I normally scoff at a list on here saying, in my mind, that one could make anything fit. I feel the same at 99.99% of your points. Excellent, poignant and not dramatic. I’ll never understand but I don’t need to. I don’t understand myself yet. I don’t know if it’s patronising or what but I constantly find myself in situations whereby loud people debate about things that are ill equipped to discuss. I know the facts of some of the situation but leave them to it because either, they’re just not worth my time or I don’t want to embarrass otherwise kind people. I’m comfortable knowing that I’m well read and I know I don’t know enough. I don’t need to talk about my degree, my languages, my music. It’s oartially an English thing to be unboastful I guess. I’m misunderstood but I don’t need anyone to understand me, I’m fed up with explaining thing to people that aren’t truly open.

• Forgiving the misspellings and grammar. There’s no way of making me sound less arrogant here. Arrogance is fine if it’s backed up with facts... To some degree.

• If you ever want to bounce an idea of someone PM me. No creep show.

• Damn 😐. You hit the nail right on the head. I feel all of these things and I graduated high school last year and I still feel the pain it inflicted. I still don't have any friends or a girlfriend.

• I felt like that a lot and it sucks also very irritating

• I can relate to it to an extent.

• Good mytake

• Very good take - Thoughtful and insightful

• i can attest to the accuracy

• I like it

• I shrug. I move on.

Im not desperate.

• Yet i bet you reject guys who relate to you because their too short.

• Yeah, this is the 21st century, everybody in the world believes they are misunderstood

What Girls Said 9

• It is Them Here, dear. God says you are Amazing. xx

• I'm really misunderstood too,
    Your description is perfect.

Does anyone else get called inappropriate things?
    I don't understand how someone could say that to another.

• I can relate to every single point. I'm not proud or complain, that I'm "sooooo misunderstood" (like @Herelbe said) but yeah, I feel those feelings, that you describe

• And the pain of your own loved people not understanding you... ouch.

• so true <3

• Thank you for sharing
    very relatable

• Very good

• Nice take

• Nice take 😊