Do you agree with these three rules to help you get rich in America?

1. Graduate High school
2. Get married before you have babies (or just don't have babies outside of marriage. practice safe sex)
3. Get a job

• I completely agree
  • I completely disagree
  • I disagree with two of his rules, but not all of them
    Vote C
  • I disagree with one of his rules but not all of them
    Vote D
Should be stated that Ben Shapiro here usually says if you do these thinks you will stay out of permanent poverty rather than 'get rich' like he's saying here.

1033

Most Helpful Girl

• I never graduated high school, I have a GED. I earn more than my sister, and more then my father when he was still working. They both graduated high school. I'm earning nearly as much as my mother, who is a nurse.

My boyfriend, who doesn't even have a GED, is earning as much as my father was.

• A GED is still just as good though and doesn't really disprove his point

• @jacquesvol Ghost Tour Guide. The shift generally lasts about 2 hours 6 days a week, and I make $60 per tour + tips ($30 per hour) I wrote my own script, and I sit down for an hour reciting it, while the trolley driver who had to go to school and take a special class for a CDL only makes $40 per tour ($20 per hour), I don't agree with it.

My job requires zero special training of any kind.

My sister is getting $11 and had to learn power point and excel, my mom is getting $32, my father was getting $20, and had to have special licenses for his work as well.

My boyfriend is a tree removal specialist, working 6 days a week, and as many as 16 hours some days during hurricane season, we bring home the same amount in weekly pay during the summer, and I can live of my tips alone during that time.

I'm not trying to brag, because the system is BROKEN. . It's seriously fucked up how unequal these pay scales are, but I'm not bitching either, because I'm glad that I can pay bills.

• Tell me about your ghost tour... I love stuff like that.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nobody should say that getting a job is the way to get rich.

Getting a job is a necessary stepping stone on the way to making yourself rich, but as long as you're working for other people, they'll always get way more work out of you than they'll ever fairly compensate you for.

Don't work hard to make somebody else rich, use that paycheck to build your own business. Even a tiny one. Even if it fails and you have to get a job again. Work as much as you have to, but keep trying to eventually work exclusively for yourself.

What Girls Said 9

• Well, Shapiro talks about this A LOT. He frames it as... do these three things and you won't be permanently poor. Which is different than do these things and be rich. I generally agree with him because the statistics show this to be generally true, but not with you. :)

• he framed it as this in that video i posted.

• i think he means these rules are like a blueprint for how to get rich. like they may not always make everyone rich, but these things make it easier to do so.

• Yeah... I disagree with his wording on this one
      .. usually he's a lot more on message... in a sense you should do these to give yourself the chance. But I think he over reached. But overall I agree... do those things you're better off in the long run.

• I think if you do these things... you are well on your way. But I would add dont have children till you can totally afford them.

• Completely logical and solid advice

• I mean he's right about getting out of poverty by doing those three things but I always thought the three rules were: A high education, hanging out with the right people and having an open mind.

• It's when you get gave things like house car etc that give a advantage because it equals less payments for the objects. Like inherited a car or home or a trust fund is a big leap forward. Wished I had a wealthy family

• I don't think life is that simple with just these three options that will make you rich. I'm a conservative myself but I think Ben is not being practical and realistic.

• I disagree with no. 2. Safe Sex yeah, but marriage is by no means necessary in life.

• he more emphasizes the not having any children outside of marriage part really

• It's statistically true that having kids out of wedlock tend to go hand in hand with not being financially successful. Not a hard fast rule, but something that will clearly cause issues.

• So are you saying if you have kids out of wedlock it probably won't lead to poverty

• I completely agree

• Yup, may I also add: Attend university and get a degree.

What Guys Said 32

• i mean it's a decent foundation but other huge things have to factor into one's life in order to become rich

• Hard work with a plan brings success. These are tips to attempt to end the cycle of poverty. I guess that can still be considered a success if you grew up piss poor though like I did. Where I'm from, a white ghetto, everyone is a giant piece of shit lol.

• I would agree wholeheartedly if the second statement was changed to "don't have babies... PERIOD".

If you want to have children and still be exceptionally wealthy, you're going to have to do a hell of a lot more than get a high school diploma and find a job.

• These are basics

To get a better life is to continue education throughout your life.

Manage money well

Work on character

• They are more like how to avoid poverty.

Get a job seems pretty obvious.

TBH I've read there ARE statistically three things that radically avoid poor outcomes:
    - don't have a baby as a teen
    - don't drop out of school
    - don't go to jail.

• Option 5: these three rules can lead to a comfortable lower middle class lifestyle in certain states, however, schooling of some sort after high school is required for anything better than that. Getting rich requires a really good education at a major university (whether you finish the degree or not is unnecessary), a lot of powerful connections and contacts, a lot of ambition, as well as taking risks, a fair amount of luck, and a spirit of innovation.

• thtat's not how you get rich... those might be contributing factors and/or are correlated, but that's not what makes people rich. i really don't get why people think he's that smart? he knows how to form arguments, but every time i hear him, he just spits a lot of arbitrary shit that are usually invalid.

• No your just joining the rat race. The only way to get rich is
    1. Be born rich and left money
    2. Have a high paying profession
    3. Gamble your money on a high return investment
    4. Have lots of people working for you that earns you money.

Contrary to what your told no one gets rich off of their own sweat as they are too busy working to earn money

• These aren't the rules to be rich. These are the rules to never be financially poor and yes I do agree with these rules for never being financially poor. Becoming rich is a different subset of rules, but these could help for sure as well. Because you're cutting the fat.

• It won't make you rich it makes you middle-class. But then again that is pretty rich compared to most of the world

• This actually comes from studying poverty and what are the key reasons for being poor and staying poor. Statistically if you do these 3 things you'll not remain in the poverty band for more than a year, you'll move out and live a comfortable life.

• That should do a pretty good job of keeping you out of poverty. To get rich you'd want to add something like "work 60-80 hours per week in your 20s," and "save and invest 20% of your income."

• You will be rich is very different from you will not go poor.
    And one more thing is lacking - don't spend more than you're earning.
    Credit cards are abundant in the US.
    When I was there, it's so easy to use credit card and to spend, that I had to use cash to "limit" my spending. LOL.

• You'd better graduate college after HS and then marry and have a baby once you have a stable job.

Of course, the simplest way is to have a millionaire dad.

• "Graduate High school" Duh, obviously.
    "Get married before you have babies", you need a solid relationship, marriage certificate not required.
    "Get a job" In America, today, that won't make you rich. A good job might make you well off, but to be rich you have to exploit other people's work.

• Nah lol more like
    1. Suck up to the right dickhead
    2. Work from age 15 and take the right steps to get 1 million by 25 ... invest and grow
    3. Have some luck on your side

• It depends on what he means by rich. If he means do these things and you can be a millionaire by the time you retire (i. e. middle class), then sure. It's not going to help you get rich in a reasonable amount of time though.

• Ben is a good guy. It would pay young people dividends to pay heed to his advice.
    But they won't, they think they already know everything. :)

• On update...
      Young people suffer an onslaught of advice, good and bad, and generally cannot sort out the good from the bad. And they feel entitled to some kind of existence which is a total fail. You get what you get, you reap what you sow, you establish a success pattern early on with your studies, you have to rise above the rest, and you have to seize opportunity when it presents itself. Most people miss all their opportunities and then say they have no options.
      And NEVER give up 'till you make it.

• nope. It's all BS.

It should be mentioned that tons of people go to college then are jobless afterwards and end up getting a job not related to their degree.

• Except he never mentions college at all dude. He said high school, not college.

• @Phoenix98 dude, this dickhead started out by jabbering about how awesome the education system is (college). That was how he made his entire living.

Listen man. When you are like 17yrs old and you are thrown 10million dollars its hard to jabber about "how to get rich".

• I don't know what your talking about but Ben isn't a millionaire or 17.

• Grad h's
    Get job
    Work hard
    Work hard
    Change jobs
    Work hard
    Change jobs,
    work hard
    Educate yourself
    Work hard

• I disagree with the second one.

• If you don't get married or have kids you'll probably have more money

• I completely disagree. High school is for chumps, I don't see how having babies outside of marriage has anything to do with it, and many of the richest people in the world don't have real jobs

• 1. good luck getting a job without finishing high school or getting a GED.
      2. Babies = time and money to take care of that could be spent bettering yourself
      3. not many, only very few people get by without working. and not having 'real' jobs still = jobs so it doesn't disprove his point

• 2. But how does being married help?

• Studies prove that kids do a lot better with two parental guardians. It doesn't necessarily have to be marriage, but a stable permanent relationship is better than a kid living under a single parent.

• That's it?
    Either it's easy to be rich in America or he's optimistic.

• you need to be good in high school in order to get a good job. but most of rich people didn't even so i disagree

• Interesting

• Don't get married or have kids.

• I completely agree with him all the way but the only thing Is not everybody gets married but it is best to wait to you get married to have a kid or until you are financially stable to have a kid

• One step only. Become a high priced man whore.

• Be selfish, alienate everybody, turn into a hermit nobody likes

• How is alienating everybody being selfish?

• The last two "statements" are pretty much related for a 'hermit' lives in alienation, so it makes sense for the first to connect with the other two.

• @vyvyn aye on your planet

• More from Guys
    2