How many people here think Amanda Todd 'deserved' what happened to her?

If you do, please explain why you think so.
Are you people forgetting that she was just a 13 year old girl? and for one mistake she 'deserves' isolation and bullying? that's really sick!
What do you guys think of the top anon guys answer?

1210

Most Helpful Girl

• Absolutely not.

No offense... actually no, all offense meant; anyone who thinks otherwise is just as sick as that older guy who was the cause of most of the stuff that happened to her.

No person deserves such extreme harassment, bullying, suffering and pain that that young girl had to endure. She had a momentary lapse of judgement, yes, which resulted in her flashing her breasts to a stranger on the internet, yes. But she was only 15! Like honestly, anyone who says she "deserved it" is completely out of touch with reality. Show me a teenager who hasn't made one mistake, ever, or has never had a momentary lapse in judgment, ever, and I'll eat my words. The only thing that Ms. Todd deserves is compassion, sympathy and understanding. Even for people to say that she didn't deserve to die, but did deserve the isolation, harassment and/or bullying is pretty disgusting to me, especially seeing as those things *were* the cause that led to her suicide in the first place, as they were the root of her pain.

Usually my answers are quite eloquent, but with this one I'm just so frustrated. The world doesn't need less Amanda Todds, it needs less of the people, that guy in particular, who brought her to the point where she felt taking her life was the only option she had. It needs less of the people who, after hearing about her suicide, say that she deserved most of what she got because she was "stupid" enough to flash her breasts online. It needs less of the people who don't even care at all because it's "just one girl; just one suicide". And when I say that I don't mean that I think those people should off themselves too. What I mean is that the world needs more people who exhibit compassion, sympathy, caring, and often times are quite proactive for trying to find solutions for situations like this, and that it'd be much better off if the ignorant people I was referring to earlier (the "less understanding" ones) developed the qualities that I just listed, instead of the ones that they have.

• As well, for the people who say the whole "It's just one girl, this stuff happens all the time, I don't know why her story is getting so much attention, etc." That attitude is exactly why all the other teen suicides are just lumped together. Each and every one teen suicide is news-worthy, worth caring about, and looking at as *one* case that needs attention. Instead of *one of many*, because then they all get lumped together, and people become desensitized because it's no longer an individual,

• it's a group, consisting of something tragic that "happens all the time". No problem can be fixed overnight. Society needs to start somewhere, even if it's just with one. The imperative point is that once society starts caring about one case, it needs to keep that momentum going and care about the next, and the next, and the next. To garner the speed, the backing, and the funding to come up with effective solutions so that this sort of thing doesn't just "happen all the time".