10 Interesting Things About Canada to Share with the World

Hi everyone :)

I'm from Canada, and would like to take this opportunity to present some interesting things about Canada that not everyone may know. Enjoy!

1. We have a lot of poutine, and it's amazing

The poutine is a French-Canadian cuisine originating from Quebec

For a long time, poutine was celebrated as a symbol of Quebecois pride, until it's rise in popularity that saw uptake in provinces outside Quebec, and in other parts of North America. It has since been considered a national Canadian dish that I would certainly recommend trying.

The traditional poutine consists of fries smothered in cheese curd and gravy (which helps melt the cheese). This is considered the "base" poutine, but since, there have been several variations with elements that get added in to this recipe. Some of these variations include pulled pork, sausage, perogy, and chicken, as well as stranger variants such as the "thanksgiving special" which has stuffing and turkey in it.

2. There's wild polar bears

The polar bear is considered a national mammal

In the northern territories of Canada (Nunavut, Northwest Territories, and Yukon), as well as northern Ontario, a tourist may be lucky enough to run into a wild polar bear. Unfortunately, the WHO lists these kingly mammals as endangered species, as they are being threatened by melting polar ice caps in the ocean that they use to hunt seals.

3. The CN Tower was once the largest freestanding building in the world

Toronto, Ontario

The CN Tower, located in Toronto Ontario, provides scenic panoramic views of lake Ontario and the city proper. 4 elevators carry visitors to the viewing level, where they may sit in a rotating restaurant and order food, or step onto a glass floor overlooking the ground below. For an extra fee, visitors may take a second elevator to the very tip of the tower. For 30 years, it was the tallest freestanding structure in the world, but has since been surpassed by the Burj Khalifa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

4. Basketball was founded by a Canadian

James Naismith, born in Almonte, Ontario

Believe it or not, as popular as basketball is in the United States, the basketball program was actually developed by a Canadian. He studied physical education at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec before moving to Springfield Massachusetts, where he developed the game in 1891. He would go on to be one of the coaches for the University of Kansas Jayhawks, but had a losing record as a coach.

5. The Stereotypes

Canadians are known by several stereotypes around the world. Some examples of these stereotypes are listed below:

- we feel the need to apologize for everything

- we say "eh" a lot

- we're hockey fanatics

- apparently we ride polar bears

- plaid, plaid, plaid

- we put maple syrup on everything

6. We are the largest international producer of Maple Syrup

You know that stuff you pour over your waffles or pancakes, there is a good chance that it is maple syrup that was produced in Canada. Maple syrup is produced in a traditional process. As the temperature begins to warm in spring, starches in sugar maple trees are converted naturally into sugar. Sap is made as ground water mixes with the sugar in the tree. This sap is collected through tap holes into buckets that are hung around the tree. The buckets of sap are transported back to a sugarhouse, where the boiling process draws out the water from the sap, leading to caramelization of the sugar. When the pans reach a high temperature, the syrup is drawn out and collected, then tested for density and flavour. The maple products are then sold for retail. At least 80% of the world's maple syrup is exported from Canada.

7. Unyielding politeness

There is a general politeness surrounding people in Canada that is evident to others from around the world (I say this based on posts others have made and personal experience). We welcome tourists, and you will never need to feel embarrassed or worried to ask for help with directions. When two people walk into each other in a grocery store, both individuals usually apologize, even though neither were at fault.

I quote “Though there are polite people the world over, saying please and thank you is ingrained into every Canadian at a young age. It costs nothing to say yet it provides so much to those receiving it. You can say that Canada is rich in social pleasantries.”

8. Canada's lowest recorded temperature is as cold as Mars

Canada has long been known for having harsh winters that can reach frigid temperatures. In 1947, the lowest recorded temperature in Canada was -61C (-81.4F), with average temperatures today around -14 to -20 in Ontario (6.1F). The lowest temperature recorded is the same temperature a visitor to Mars would experience upon reaching the surface!

9. There is gorgeous scenery to be found everywhere

From historic lighthouses and Nordic-like scenery on the east coast, to scenic mountain ranges bordering lakes on the west coast, Canada has a multitude of different types of scenery to explore. I would recommend a trip starting at one side of Canada, then travel across each province to the other side, and you'll really notice how much is here. If you've ever thought about travelling here for a visit, I would definitely recommend it just for the scenery and vistas alone. For an added bonus, you may also get a chance to see the aurora borealis in the northern territories.

10. You can write a letter to the North Pole, and get a letter back from Santa

Learning about this fact even surprised me. A letter can be sent to Santa Clause at the North Pole in any language, and a letter will be sent back from the man himself. For the past 14 years, the program has averaged one million letters or more a year, and in total answered more than 24.7 million letters. All letters are sent to the postal code H0H 0H0 (or Ho Ho Ho). This is great for the kids!

Thanks for reading everyone, hopefully you learned something interesting.

~JC

2737

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 27

What Guys Said 37

• Lacrosse, the National Summer Sport of Canada, comes from Canada, eh?

Meanwhile, kick-ass and sexy curling women?

And don't forget Alert!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alert,_Nunavut

• 2d

That's the only reason I ever watch curling.
      I have no idea what's going on, but whatever it is the women sure look good doing it.

• 2d

@ChrisTruthseeker We are now beginning to get potato chips with ketchup flavor.
      As for those bars, possibly - I am not in the market for them.
      We need Nainamo bars too!

• 2d

I see you guys are into Crown Royal Rye Whiskey from Canada now.
      It's advertised in America.
      Tastes good, I don't drink much anymore though.
      Yeah, we've had ketchup chips forever.
      Not sure why some things only make it to the states from Canada 50 years later? LoL!
      We got pretty much all your stuff.
      Thank you America. : )

• 3d

These literally are things everyone knows about Canada. Maybe talk about the Inuit and Inu of Canada or the eastern most province Newfoundland which barely anyone knows exists...

• 2d

I freakin love Newfoundland/Laborador.

• 2d

Went to Florida one time a few years ago during the summer, and can't even tell you how many times I was asked if it was snowing in Canada right now.

• 2d

@musicbrain5 And those were the smart ones.

• 7d

This is nice and all, but what the guys really wanna know is how the women are. You see, we have all heard about this crazy red head in Toronto called big red... And to be honest, if that is what your Canadian women are like, well no thanks.

• 7d

Who the heck is Big Red? lol

• 3d

Just_A_Guy2018 Came across so many of em during my stay in Ontario. It no longer is just a phenomena in USA campuses or UK. Crazy feminists are flooding Canada too. Ryerson in Toronto is just like Berkley.

• 2d

@InTimoreDei Ryerson likes to let feminists spew their anti-men shit all over the campus. They also let religious wing nuts, usually Christians, proselytize outside buildings and hand out graphic anti-abortion pamphlets with pictures of dead and bloody fetuses on them.

• 7d

Poutine has started to crop up in the UK now, too.

We had attempts at it before, but not the real thing. Chips and gravy has a long established pedigree, where I'm from, though.

• 6d

2) There's also polar bears in northern Manitoba, northern Quebec, and northern Labrador.
    3) The CN tower was never the world's tallest building because it's classified as a structure. It used to be the world's tallest free-standing structure.
    7) I'm not sure anyone on this site would characterize me as polite

But here's a fun tid-bit for y'all. We have the largest lake on an island in a lake in the world.

• 7d

11. President Trump whipped your socialist asses in the trade deal. He beat that communist wimp Trudeau like a rented mule. The lesson Canada learned is "Don't bite the hand that feeds you." NEXT!

• 7d

Whipped how, exactly?

I don't think you (or trump) actually understand how trade works. It's not a contest, it benefits both. Canada-US trade is enormous for both.

• 2d

@musicbrain5 sssssh the Americans are convinced they got the better deal. Lol just let them think that. With their crappy media they’ll never really know the truth.

• 2d

@0112358 Don't try to reason with an idiot

• 7d

Chips with gravy are pretty common here in Australia as well except not with cheese curds.

• 7d

Thanks so much for Basketball (my favorite Sport). Love polar bears, too.

• 4d

Great take and a really interesting and I think a really nice country.

Fun fact
    "surface temperatures may reach a high of about 20 °C (293 K; 68 °F) at noon, at the equator, and a low of about −153 °C (120 K; −243 °F) at the poles, on Mars"

• 5d

Fun fact: French Canadians are genetically adapted to eat poutine. Everyone else will have a heart attack if they eat it more than twice in a year. Only half joking.

• 7d

Wow lots of great info and the Santa letter amazing

• 7d

Fries with gravy does make more sense than fries with ketchup.

• 2d

I'm Canadian.
    We definitely apologize for being in each other's way.
    It's cute.

• 7d

ain't the polar bars gon eat me if i met them in person... Nice take on Canada tho

• Neat, I enjoyed the read. Interesting stuff. I hope to go Canada one day.

• Great take. I always wanted to visit Toronto and Montreal one day, hopefully I'll do:)

• 3d

East coast is better if you want the whole Canadian experience. Montreal and Toronto are identical to other major cities.

• 7d

Bud I live in Canada and we are far from polite here

• 7d

2. I've found plenty of articles where they are actually contradictory to your claim. Video evidence presented about a polar bear affected by climate change was in fact experiencing the seasonal famine.
    thefederalist.com/.../
    news.vice.com/.../america-keeps-telling-canada-that-polar-bears-are-going-extinct-canada-disagrees

• 7d

I want to to go Canada for my master's degree and want to settle there. I love Canada even though I have never been there

• 4d

Best things about Canada:
    Gorgeous scenery in the mountains
    Really friendly women, especially in Vancouver where they all wear boots!
    The Okanagan Valley.
    Fantastic Asian food on the west coast.
    Worst things about Canada:
    Poutine - 2nd worst food ever, behind the 'Bloomin' Onion'
    Fuel prices - they have all the crude oil but no freaking refineries? WTF?
    Government regulated liquor/wine prices - In order to help Canadian wineries, imported wine is through the roof. Problem is, Canadian wine is NOT as good as Canadian producers tell you it is, except for Chardonnay from the Okanagan.
    Parts of Quebec and French Canadians - by and large, a bunch of assholes who dislike EVERYONE, including non French speaking Canucks, and who don't tip when they travel, even in places where tipping is the norm.

• More from Guys
    17