Why Aren't Women Drafted? Should They Be?

Should women be drafted?
Should women be drafted?

These are the reasons below given by several people as to why women aren't "drafted" at 18. I say drafted in quotes, because no male in the US has been drafted since January of 1973 and it is now soon to be 2019. The US has a large enough volunteer force as it stands that no draft has been required or needed and one imagines a Vietnam era PR nightmare should it be re-instated to the point of actual use.

Let's talk about this though. Why aren't women "drafted" at 18? These are the reasons given by many people as to why women aren't or should not be drafted or serve in war. Do you agree or disagree?

1. Children/Pregnancy/Breastfeeding

For obvious reasons, a lot of women would be taken out of contingency for a draft due to these three things. You simply cannot have a pregnant woman running around a battlefield or leave young children unattended without their parent. I say parent in this instance to indicate that I am referring to a woman who is a single parent. If you want numbers/facts on this, in the US Approximately 82.2% of custodial single parents are female, and only 17.8% of custodial parents (approximately 1 in 6) are male.

2. Physical Weakness

Woman are constantly told BY MEN that they are too weak to do a lot of the work that is required for a solider. This is the same rhetoric used in police work, firefighting, and various other jobs to deny women the same opportunity, but it is also not completely untrue in many cases. Many jobs do in fact require the ability to lift, pull, etc. things that are too heavy for a good majority of women to lift. The average foot soldier has between 87-127lbs of gear. If you're 115lbs soaking wet, and don't lift, you do the math. If one cannot do that job, literally, one cannot do it (this goes for men too) and that can be dangerous in any war situation. No one wants someone on their team who literally cannot pull their weight because that can easily become a deadly situation.

3. The worst people in battle are those that don't want to be there

The last thing you want in a war is someone who really has no investment in it, is frightened of everything, and doesn't care about the person next to them. (Again, this applies to men too, but we're talking about women). This is another reason given as to why women aren't drafted---they are told, they are too emotional or mentally weak to serve.

4. Becoming a specific target

This is a fear of women who currently serve in the military in a lot of regions of the world, that they will become targets for rape and other abuses because they are women. Some groups around the world believe women have no place in the wars "of men," or any place in a society of men outside of childcare and would do anything they could to ensure that a woman's place is 'in the home,' including abuse, rape, torture. (Again, not that men aren't captured/tortured in war---making that clear) And it's not just from "the enemy." Just as women are targeted for rape (which could result in a pregnancy) at home by some men, just because its a war situation does not mean rape cannot occur on ones own team.

5. Distraction

Odds are if a female draft occurred, men and women would have to serve in the same places. The argument NOW even without a draft is that women provide a distraction and complicate things on the field. Men are worried if their backs are covered by someone they doubt can actually physically do the job and on another level, there is the age old drama with men and women that happens no matter what the situation. While on active duty in the US about 1.3% of women do become pregnant. That number would definitely increase if there was a draft.

6. Expensive adaptations

The military branches have set universal equipment that is generally tailored to the men who serve with the expectation that they can physically handle it. In order to accommodate a larger or equal female force, some equipment, or standards, would have to be adapted or changed so that women could use them. That is an expense as would a needed expense be for "extras" like birth control and female sanitary needs. If one believes no men and women would be having sex out there, they are delusional to the ways of how men and women work.

7. No Baby Boom

Historically, when wars have affected both the female and male population of a country/town, re-population has become an issue afterwards. One man can impregnate a lot of women but a woman can only usually have one child at a time, and that takes 9 months if successful at all. One does not want to create such a deficit that may take a long time to recover from because this affects a lot of industries, the work force, life as we know it, etc.

8. A lot of men don't want women there

For as much talk about "why isn't there equality in the draft," there is a HUGE contingent of men, military or otherwise, who for many of the reasons above or just pure sexism, do not want a woman on their 6. It is extremely hard to work with individuals whose constant mission is to see you fail or removed or who want to constantly prove that you cannot do the job as well as them. This does not provide for the crucial team dynamic that is needed to ensure a team is as safe as possible and everyone else is taking care of everyone else on the team so that they all make it home.

So what are your thoughts having read the list of reasons why some people think women have no business being drafted. Fair, not fair, sexist, is there a way to overcome this entire list, should women still be drafted---let me know what you think.

4188

Most Helpful Guys

• I am ok with women being in the military as long as they can meet the EXACT same requirements as men.. Which they cannot.. If the had to meet the same requirements as men you would see angry feminists screeching sexism and demanding special privileges because of it. Its the same in the police force and fire department. Female requirements are less because they cannot handle the same requirements.

Honestly with the draft though, it should be eliminated all together. Men in the US are still the only class of people that dont automatically get the right to vote when they turn 18, They have to sign up for the draft, or be charged with a felony, be denied the right to vote, denied the right to ask for government aid with schooling, the works, and face imprisonment for something like 20 years. Women on the other hand get the vote simply by virtue of their genitals when they turn 18.. Its sad really..

• the problem with equality here is feminists and women only want equality on their terms, none of the responsibility.

• Aparently you dont know what a felony does to someone.. In most states the right to vote is removed when convicted of felony.. Your platitudes are irrelevant though the law is the law regardless of how much you feel like its enforced the fact remains if you fail to register you can be charged with a felony, and you can go to prison, being charged with a felony automatically i most states denies your right to vote and your right to carry a fire arm, Learn your law before you comment.

• the rest of your comment i agree with though.

• Women wanted to fight for the riht to be on front lines and they won it in america. So now there's no excuse there. It's either everyone is drafted/ has the risk to be drafted or nobody does.

1. I agree that pregnant women shouldn't be in battle and a single parent shouldn't be drafted because they have a child to take care of. Though these things could be taken into account before they get shipped off to war.

2. Just because you're drafted into the military doesn't necessarily mean you'll be on the ground fighting. You could potentially be in the airforce, or a nurse/doctor, or a technician. There are also men who ar ephysically weak who are drafted.

3. I'm pretty sure people in the military are trained to be emotionally tougher. Never served personally so I wouldn't know.

4. Lots of horrid things happen in war. It's war, there's nothing glamorous about it. Horrible things happen and to good people. It hasn't stopped the draft before, it shouldn't with this unless you want to get rid of it all together.

5. Women won't be wearing lingerie and high heels on the battlefield. They'll be in full military gear. So they wouldn't be much of a distraction. Also I'm pretty sure there is training and I'm pretty certain they wouldn't throw someone into a position they couldn't physically do.

6. If this is in the US that we're talking about I wouldn't worry about expenses. They tend to put a lot of their tax dollars towards the military. Like building a bunch of tanks just in case. If they really wanted women drafted into war they'd find a way to cover the expenses.

7. There will always be people who reproduce. Even you said earlier that there are possibilities that a woman will get pregnant in war. Plus on top of that ere are a lot of people who cheat while their significant other is out fighting in a war. If they're getting their needs met elsewhere that still decreases the chance of a baby boom when their significant others come back. Plus if my knowledge of the draft is correct it's not like women are serving their whole lives fighting a war, just mandatory subscription or when the country really needs people.

8. Never stopped women before. I'm sure their were a lot of sexist men back in the 1960's who didn't want women working and look at society now. I've personally seen more women against being drafted than men. Sexists will be everywhere, that's no excuse not to do something and to be honest in war people are more concerned about living than a woman

• Watching their backs.

I think if you're in a country truly working towards equality then women should be drafted alongside men or nobody should be drafted. My country has drafted once before but that because the war needed people and Canadians voted for it and in cases like that I think women should be drafted, with the exception of those who are pregnant or are a single parent.

• I think my point for 5 came off a bit wrong. I initially started writing at the title of distraction thinking of the excuse that if women dress sexy it'll distract guys (not to the point of rape/ sexual assault. Then I moved to responding to men not trusting a woman would be able to cover their backs. I do agree that relationships and pregnancy can happen in war. Though also friendships and other forms of bonds which I believe strengthen the way soldiers work because they don't want to see their loved ones die or get hurt. I also believe that the military trains for the greatest chances of survival and puts people into jobs they can handle though I'm getting off topic now. Your fifth point never brought up anything about rape or sexual assault so I didn't comment on that in my fifth point. Though I agree that it does happen and that their should be solutions reduce it or at least punish those who rape others in their own military. I also agree that rape can happen to anyone no (cont)

• Matter how they are dressed. Depending on the nature of the rape and the rapist I do believe they may target girls wearing skimpier may be targetted (same with drunk) just because it's easier to actually commit the act of rape against them for the rapist. I'm not saying it's right and I'm not saying blame a girl for being raped because no matter how she dresses it's not her fault, it's the rapists. I think any case that involves rape should be taken seriously and looked into seriously, not just for the acuser but also for the accusee.

Back to topic, I also agree that there should be no draft and any form of draft should be voted on when it comes time to need one. Though if it comes down to there being a draft I still think the draft shouldn't take into account gender. Lifestyle and living situations yes because some people really aren't in positions where going to war is in others best interests. (like when a child or elderly they're taking care of is involved)

Most Helpful Girls

• No one, and I mean NO ONE should be drafted. Drafting people to do something against their will is the opposite of FREE WILL. If people do not want to fight, then maybe the cause is not worth fighting for. I certainly don't want to fight for a country that wants to violate my human rights and my right to life. A country that does that sees the people it's killing as disposable pawns in a game, and that's evil and wrong. True leaders of a FREE nation INSPIRE people to fight for a cause.

• I agree!
      What the governments have conflict between other governments they should deal with it themselves and leave us out of it.

• That's why i have a strong prejudice against any governments.

• That’s ridiculous

• Yes, all of those reasons are sexist and stupid. But the world itself is shit so what should we expect?
    Anyways, women should still be drafted. Once upon a time, I did want to serve mainly because my dad and my uncle were encouraging me to sign up since I was AWESOME in ROTC and my asvab scores were... impressive, to say the least 😋
    My physical strength was fine and I was no where near intimidated by boys/men even though I was very short 👀😂
    But I never really went in that direction because life got in way and I had greater passions.

The only way to overcome that ridiculous list is if dudes put their ego aside and allow the women to prove them wrong.
    And honestly... I don’t think anyone needs to fucking while they’re serving. Seriously, that needs to end. We don’t want families acting all sour because you’re away and we don’t need women going on maternity leave. STOP FUCKING AND DO YOUR JOB.

• Number one has nothing to do with sexism. We're referring to a draft here which could potentially come at any time and if one is pregnant as the draft is happening, or is a single parent, you think that's a stupid and sexist reason not to send her into combat? And sex happens---especially when people think they're about to die. Again, any person who thinks men and women aren't going to have sex...because someone said so, is fooling themselves.

I wouldn't want men or women serving who do NOT want to serve. You wanted or would be willing to serve, and as you say, you're in shape, that's great, but imagine someone that's supposed to have your back, man or woman, not wanting to be there, unable to handle the equiptment, losing it...this is why a draft for men or women is a terrible idea. It should be just as it is now, on a voluntary basis for men and women.

• I only said that they shouldn’t have sex while serving. That’s just my opinion. Doesn’t mean it’s going to change anything.
      Maybe I shouldn’t have said all of it was sexist.
      But all of it is bullshit. Concerning number one, that is why people in the military should not be having sex.
      It will continue, but it wouldn’t have to if people just learned to do their job.
      You don’t have to agree, I never asked you to.
      I don’t think anyone should be drafted against their will. But if it’s going to happen, I don’t think men should be the only ones subjected to that rule. It’s not really fair to them.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 86

• people should accept that men and women are not meant to be equal

• Exactly. They should realize that men and women excel in different fields, why do they have to debase what women excel in and raise what men excel in to a higher standard.

• Yeah. But service fit men don't usually cry in a shower of bullets.

• @s2firestar give me a fucking break. If we are talking about the Air Force I hear you... however, I have seen grown men cry like babies to get out of deployments. It has been my experience that men mentally break down quicker when not working along side women. Hence one of the reasons why the segregate the sexes during bootcamp in the marines... they want to mentally break down the recruits.

• Whether the draft we ever be instated or not, the selective service requirements are extremely unfair against being male. If a male does not willfully sign the selective service form, he will not receive educational assistance, be blocked from many jobs, and the stigma of not will follow him forever. He is out casted in the system on so many levels. Women however, will receive all the benefits and will never see a selective service form come in the mail and this is because no body of Congress would ever send their sweet little precious daughters off to the military. So, in the event there ever is an “Army of the United States” re-enacted the male suckers of the selective service will have to spill their blood while the free the nipple; I want to be paid more than men for less hours; all men are rapists, we need to reduce the male population of men to 10%; men are creepy, and basically f all men women, sip their soda in their a/c corner CEO offices.

Something will change with this no doubt and I think women should serve side-by-side and spill their blood too. F-em

• I've sat in classrooms when I was in the military and listened to men go off on why women should not be in the military. Total garbage coming out of their mouths.
    When I look at history and other countries who's women have served with pride and dignity in the defense of their nations as infantry. Russia had a full battalion of women infantry in WW1. They turned the tide against the Germans and reinvigorated the men to fight. The Russian women who fought in WW2 were some of the most feared and pulled off what would be called impossible missions against German forces.
    In Isreal women serve in nearly every facet of the Defense Force. Including the infantry, and they carry out their jobs just as well as the men.
    While it is a scientific fact that men have more upper strength, it is also scientific fact that women have more lower body strength. But, if women can meet the qualifications for the job, they should be allowed to do that job.
    Dealing with pregnancies can be taken from history as well. While impossible to stop "romantic interludes" between men and women in combat, it can be handled. Women who are pregnant are sent back to the rear. Relationships between those in the same command are frowned upon, just as they are today.
    While no man, including myself, would want to see a woman shot, maimed, or killed next to me. I'm sure no woman would want to see a man harmed the same way. But, it is a fact of war and the mission must be accomplished.
    Women serve in the other ABC's of our country (FBI, CIA, ATF, etc.) They can encounter the same gun fire and hand to hand in those capacities. Women serving as Military Police in Iraq and Afghanistan saw actual combat, and carried out the mission just as men did.
    So, with all of this, why are they not allowed? If they pass the basic qualifications, they should be allowed.
    A side note: I know the British Royal Marines do not have a restriction on women joining their ranks. However, no woman has ever applied to the RM's. Having no one apply is one thing, restriction is another deal altogether.

• Yeah, no. Well said. I wouldn't be averse to women being drafted for non-combat roles. If the issue is males have a social obligation while females do not, okay, that can be equalized by requiring women to serve in some form that they are more suited for. But combat roles are a different thing all together. You can't equalize biology. Well, not yet. Women are simply not up to par when it comes to war or fighting.

Half as dense bones, means much higher likelihood of injury. 50% as strong per pound upper body, 65% as strong lower body; and, guys tend to weigh more anyway and put on muscle a lot easier, meaning about a 300%-500% difference in base strength. That is not negligible.

And fertility issues due to physical strain is a big issue for military women. She goes into that kind of physical stress, she could likely become infertile. Err, well it appears it's not that different between males and females, there. 13.8% of veterans have expressed issues with infertility, while 15.8% of females have. Still a concern, but apparently not a woman-specific concern.

On the same hand, we can't force men to give birth. So, women die in childbirth; men die on the battlefield. But, like I said, if the issue is the social obligation and responsibility, women can still be held to a standard. Just not one involving combat.

• Here's the deal- there is not a draft in the US, hasn't been one for decades, and there isn't likely to be one any time soon for a long list of reasons.

However, in the name of this whole push for equality, women should also be registered for the Selective Service just like all men, especially now that combat jobs are open to women. Equality is a double-edged sword.

1. Women intentionally getting pregnant to avoid deployments is already a rampant problem.

2. A woman in the Army, under the old APFT, could pass while executing less than half as many pushups and completing a run time several minutes slower than a man who passes by the skin of his teeth. The simple solution here would've been to simply hold everyone to same standard, which they are going to do, but they brought the standards generally lower in doing so.

3. Which is exactly why I'm against the draft.

4. That's not speculation, it definitely will happen. It does happen.

5. The distraction aspect isn't as likely as they think, but the rest is about right.

6. Most people don't even think of this one, but it's also not that relevant. Everyone in the force gets issued the same gear even if they have a cushy desk job, so female specific equipment gets procured regardless.

7. Won't be an issue.

8. Unit cohesiveness issues are caused by a lot of things, but this would be relatively minor. Inept leadership, a biproduct of both Bush's surge and Obama's politicizing of the military causes a lot more problems that need to be fixed ASAP.

• Well all of these are legitimate reasons, as well as the fact that data shows that mixed gender units fair significantly worse then the all male units which is a big deal considering that failure doesn't result in loss of money like in a business, it results in a loss of (potentially catastrophic) life. Also its not men telling women that they are weaker, they ARE weaker based upon scientific data (and every single person, man and womans interactions with the opposite gender). Men are almost 60% stronger in upper body and about 48% stronger in lower body, denser bones (by a substantial margin), 25% more collagen in the skin (i. e. thicker skinned), handle negative stimuli substantially better (women are twice as likely to get PTSD and they are less likely to be on the front lines like men meaning that they are even more likely to get it if they where put under the same pressures and stresses as their male counter parts), etc. Sexism is absolutely unrelated to why women are not conscripted (in fact all data suggests a significantly greater prioritization of women then men (hence why we will suggest that not letting women vote (because it was contingent on being drafted) is sexist but that men being forcibly conscripted was not sexist (despite a much more sever situation one that would likely result in their death).

• Yes women should be drafted in the intrest of equality though a large percentage of military age us citizens are unfit for the draft anyway, like if your too fat they won't draft you.
    The draft is irrealvent and uneeded anyway as the US has 1,281,900 active personal in the military and another 811,000 in reserve, all volunteers which is an unheard of number. There are also about 1 million vetereans not under arms that are fit for service.
    Women are currently in the us military and have a long history of service, women currently make up about 20% of the US military and the US military would not be able to function as well without them. Apart from frontline infantry duties which most women are unfit women are currently doing every other duty you can think of and many have seen combat. As for women getting pregnant, sanitary towels contraception well all in all its not overly expensive and men and women have sex it's no big deal. Most men don't care that women are in the military with them, I was commanded by a woman in Afghanistan, it was no big deal.
    Your take is disproven and irrelevant I'm afraid due to the 2018 reality of huge numbers of women currently serving in the US military and deployed on active service with none of the points in your take being a problem.
    I'm afraid it's time you women signed up for the draft in the intrest of equality.

• 1. Singe male parents are not subject to the draft either, actually. that's a automatic deferral.
    2. As you point out, the same thing applies to men. They are used to fill other billets that do NOT require that level of strength, or are rejected. So again, gender isn't relevant. Set the standard, and let those who pass in.
    3. Again, the draft make a LOT of soldiers unhappy to be there, as we saw during Vietnam. not an argument against a female draft, but against the draft as a whole.
    4. This is the first one that makes any sense. Of course, by this argument, we should draft only homosexuals, since some men rape other men, too. The solution is to make the penalty for forcing a woman draconian enough that it doesn't happen. The enemy will torture and rape either gender; while women are more vulnerable, it's only because of the code of silence that you don't hear about it happening to guys, too.
    5 & 6. the Israeli Defense Force is the best counter-argument against this. Both me AND women are drafted, and required to serve. The conversion is expensive, but one you have enough women, the economies of scale apply, and it's no longer a hurdle.
    7. "Women have demonstrated already that they're quite capable of lowering moral standards and picking up the slack after a war. Having them die in greater numbers just means you won't have to lower the morality to make it up. Populations will still rise back to pre-war levels, because the price of labor increases, and affluence then increases the number of couples having kids.
    8. Suck it up, buckwheat. no one cares if your "men's only" club is violated. War is not a social organization.

• There is no need to draft women. Most males are themselves not qualified for military service. The era of huge land wars necessitating lots of cannon fodder is long gone. Hackers and cybersecurity specialists are more needed for modern warfare.

• I live in Australia where there was compulsory national service in the military for men until 1972 when it was abolished. Many people, particularly in the older generations would like to bring it back. If it does come back, and I doubt it ever will, then compulsory service should only apply to men for the reasons outlined above. Women should be able to volunteer but generally should not be used in primary combat roles.

• IMHO, yes, they should be. There are literally 1000's of jobs in the military that don't require biceps of steel. In fact, the vast majority of the military occupations are support roles. Every able bodied male that sits behind a desk is one less gunner, pilot, etc. Women can do combat too, but their efficacy is somewhat limited, with rare exception. Those women who can do combat, should. Those who cannot should help their brothers and sisters in arms get their bullets, boots and biscuits.

• Women should not be coddled, not in the post-feminist age. They want the rights of men, they get the responsibilities of men, too. No voting men off to die in wars while knowing you can sit back with impunity.

• I don't think women should be drafted, but every one of your points are contradictory to the current view of women in the military, which is a bit ironic lol

• Pretty weird mytake...

• Those are not my points of view. They are reasons that have been given in general as to why women should not serve. The only real definitive one I see, is number 1, and that only applies to certain women (and in some cases, men). I truly believe that there should be no draft. I want people in that position that want to be there and feel that they are upholding freedom or whatever they believe in, not someone who worked in a mall kiosk and are scared out of their minds..notice I said people, aka men too. Let people go who voluntarily want to be there, which is the system we have working now.

• If woman want 100% equality, then of course. If it's voluntary for men, then the same should prevail for women. But, God did not make men and women equal in certain respects. Viva la difference! That said, that Israeli gal in item #6 above could certainly be used as a diversionary tactic against the male enemies! So, let's just admit that the sexes are different for some very good reasons, let the women join if they want, and let's get on with life.

• because women only want the desirable parts of traditionally male roles and none of the burdens. Likewise they only want to unload their burdens but not the perks of being female.

Ever see feminists demonstrating because there aren't enough female drywall workers or too few male nurses?

• If you think the need for the drat has disappeared, think about. If there were the case them males wouldn't still be required to register for it when they hit 18. But to all the feminist that enjoy the special rights that men don't have, I have to warn you, I don't have the freedom you have and I won't fight should the need arise, you have the freedom it's your fight not mine.

• English version:

If you think the need for the draft has disappeared, think again. If that were the case then males wouldn't still be required to register for it when they hit 18. But to all the feminist that enjoy your special rights and freedom I don't have men don't have, I have to warn you, I don't have those same freedoms you have and I won't fight for yours should the need arise, you will fight next time, it's your fight not mine. I won't

• @chopper1977 letting them vote was a HUGE mistake by the way. Look what has happened. That is how Obama got on the ballot and elected for one

• @malegender Totally that is for certain.

• Nobody should be drafted unless it is absolutely necessary like in a huge world war.
    I think women that are in the military should be in separate units than men so the men don't have to worry about protecting a lesser soldier that is actually endangering the rest of the unit.

• Women are entitled to vote but don't need to risk their lives for their country. Hell yes they should be drafted.

• So you've been drafted recently? Men NOR women are currently risking their lives unless voluntarily in the US. No one has been drafted since 1973 so this at the moment is a moot argument.

• Now yes, but if a crisis occurs and people start getting drafted, it's not fair that men are the only ones who have to risk their lives.

• It's fair since men made the rules. Didn't want us there but now you do. 😂

• Well placing women in battlefield is like fighting a war with needle or trying to sew with a sword..

Things are made for a reason each has their job.. Don't mess it up..

Besides a women can offer 10 times the stuff inside the nation than being in battlefield..

• If you go 50/50 in the military, the talibans are going to laugh their ass off as you get fkd in actual, bloody, arduous combat. Women are not suited for murdering and destroying.

• Lol this made me laugh, so true. It’s fine if they wish to, but your everyday women wouldn’t fair so well in the military.

• @xhejo Honestly, if I was in a trench, and I saw a pack of five women get mutilated by a grenade, screaming in pain and terror, it would just be a whole new level of wrong. They're the ones who are supposed to be safe in the first place...

• The draft is a declaration by the government that you are its property to use and dispose of as it sees fit. It is anathema to a free society. No one should be drafted.

• They aren't drafted because women are only equal when it suits. 😂

• So what are some of your solutions to the "issues" listed then? And why not fight for an end to draft sign up, period, knowing many men equally have no desire to serve on a non voluntary basis?

• I'm not sure why the two anons are being downvoted when plenty of men believe women are much more valuable. I've read history books of great leaders who considered men to be expendable. The truth is men are indeed seen as less valuable because men consider them to be such.

• Feminism - give me all the benefits of being a male with none of the responsibilities

• Haha 3 women thus far downvoted this. That is a purely objective argument. How can anyone logically disagree with that. Equal rights + equal responsibilities = being drafted for war. The down votes just prove the point you just made.

• I say draft women too. I dont care what role they play, but if i'm gonna risk my life in a pointless war then some of them should come along for the ride.
    Seriously its amazing how disrespectful a lot of women are these days, and yet the expect us to protect their asses the moment things go south.
    Fuck that, they wanna be protected here's a gun.

• If you are going to have a draft you should have a draft for both genders just having it for some is discriminatory
    The best is to not have a draft at all though

• You would want it to be discrimanatory though. The military requires strong, durable, loyal, and hardworking soldiers to succeed. And the fact of the matter is while some women can be equal or even better than most men, most women fall far below that mark.

• @MisterAnon69 that's why we should have a full volunteer force in the army. Professionally. No more of the shit called The Draft. In my place, Vietnam we just bribe the local government to get out of it.

• @MisterAnon69
      It is not discriminatory to have high benchmarks to meet
      Dismissing a gender from those outright however is
      We still have a draft here in my country though they only take in a certain number a year so it is a bit of a lottery as such but part of it is a physical examination and interview etc. Where you can be dismissed if you do not meet the requirements and women are exempt from this and they shouldn't be.

• bcs most women aren't able to reach the physical standard required to be accepted. i also doubt most women could handle the stress of war. yes you should be drafted like men bcs you can vote like men... more checking of female privilage is required

• Honestly, what good is a nation when you have drafted both it's men and women in a grave time of war? If things got really bad, basically you are left arming children, women, and the elderly, anyone who would not have qualified for the draft to begin with.

If you need to draft your population for a dire time of war, you want it to be qualified men, even those who don't want to fight and those who won't be affected or worried about the woman they are forced to serve alongside. This is military thinking at hand. There are so many aspects at play to this argument. For a draft situation, I feel including women would be a huge mistake.

• A big resounding, yes. All in the name of equality.

• The draft does not exist anymore

The last one was over 30 years ago

Plus, a draft is beyond stupid

• It isn't, until it is again. Sword of fucking Damocles.

• Show more from Guys
    56

What Girls Said 39

• NO ONE IS BEING DRAFTED.

Women will be drafted if there is a draft bc they already serve in the military- which they fought to be able to do.

women have been drafted for centuries in other countries. United States did not create Adam And Eve. seriously.

• No one is being drafted currently no, but when a male turns 18 he has an option to sign a paper saying he agrees to letting his name into selective services (if there's another draft). If he does not sign the said agreement his rights to attend college, work inside the U. S and the right to vote will be not given to him.

• That's not how the draft works. Women are currently not forced to sign up for a draft. Anyone, woman or man, currently serving, signed up of their free will to serve voluntarily. The draft takes on anyone regardless of whether they have a desire to fight for country or not and is not voluntary. Women in previous wars signed up to help the war effort, but were never required to.

• @kreamykraemez It is called selective service

• If there ever was a WW3 I would volunteer my services... like a nursing assistant or something. I think countries need people to volunteer, not be drafted. It’s hard to work with people who don’t want to be there!

• For your information, they have a lot of women serving in the service at the time, in all fields. Now, since women feel they should be treated equally as men in everything else, including being able to join the Boy Scouts, then I think they should be able to be drafted too. Israeli women serve in the army in Israel. Are the US women a bunch of wuss bitches who are only good for posting pics on Instagram and getting their nails done weekly, or are they tough and ready to rumble?

• I think we should. Just because you can carry 50lbs more or run faster than me does NOT mean you are better equipped to serve our country. Soldiers are just pawns in actual war, and honestly now, we have such high tech technology Being able to carry 200 more pounds ain't going to make you bullet or bomb proof.

• One problem is when a woman is captured by enemy , she will be train loaded. Of course most women are doing that in private anyway.

• Yes they should be drafted in countries with conscription and they actually are. Israel is one example.
    Since guns and other weaponry have rendered physical imbalances pretty irrelevant when it comes to battles there's no reason why women wouldn't do well here. They probably make quite brilliant snipers, air force pilots, etc.

• a Woman on average is physically weaker than a man, and why the fuck do feminists gotta bitch and moan about every fuckin thing i don't want to be forced to go to war if we end up in a real big war where drafting happens, Fuckin ell its like all you feminists do is find your blessing and complain about them

• In my opinion they shouldn’t be, on average women do tend to be physically weaker. It’s just due to biology and bone structure, not some made up patriarchy telling women what they can and can’t do. Men on average also tend to be more muscular and are more likely to be patriotic/pro-military.

• No one should have to be drafted unless they want to fight, but chances are if all hell breaks loose and there is a world war 3 (which i think will happen in future) , we're all gonna be thrown in it regardless. If you think about it, no one is really safe from a world war, men and women will die even if they are or aren't on the battlefield.

• Personally, I dont think that men or women should be drafted period. I think that joining the military should be a personal decision. It is tough to get in to the military for both men and women.

• I don't see a place for women on the battlefield UNLESS they are willing to bust ass and work just as hard as the men do. I don't think your average woman has what it takes to be a soldier and I don't see the point in drafting us.

• I thought the draft ended but if it didn't I think it should end. No one should be forced to put their life on the line.

• when a male turns 18 he has an option to sign for selective service which is basically the next draft if he doesn't sign it he will lose the majority of his rights as an us citizen

• I served 4 years in the marines... women should be drafted just as men. Moreover, if shit hits the fan just that bad, that we are resorting to a draft, it's likely going to occur on US soil to some extent. Women against it need to quit behaving like helpless pussies, partaking of the freedoms that others fight for. Men against it need to grow the hell up and quit taking it personal when a women out runs, out shoots etc. Distraction? Pull your pecker more so your eye doesn't wander as much. Women targets for rape? Men get raped just like women do... especially on foreign soil. Just because Game of Thrones and other biased shit only shows women getting raped (for entertainment purposes? haven't figure that one out yet) doesn't mean that the men are not getting raped too.

• Thank you for your service. Your a braver person than i.

• Genuinely, thanks for your service, but to be perfectly honest, I think your slightly delusional. 100% of the women in my family couldn't shoulder an AR15 let alone fire it without having a teary meltdown. Very few women are "at your level".

• @malegender I think you are diminishing the capabilities of the women in your family. Unless they have handicaps, there is no reason why a woman is incapable of shouldering a 6-8 pound weapon. When instructed properly, the recoil becomes manageable for even the frailest woman. I would encourage you to at least encourage the women in your household to become familiar enough with the most basic hunting rifle, so that they may stand their ground if needed... kill an animal for food. Also it's not a man/woman thing... very few men are at my level. But, it's amazing what some encouragement, training, and confidence can do. Many of the recruits who join the service have never fired a weapon. The point is, yes, women can. They should be drafted just as the men. I am not saying they should be training to be a ground pounder... most of the jobs in the military have nothing to do with actual combat other than support. I don't even think the men/women in the Air force are even issued a weapon.

• I feel the day men have artificial wombs easy to produce and that work perfectly they won't care if a woman dies just like any other man in war. What make us precious for society and different is our womb, which is also why we aren't drafted.

About drafting, I don't know enaugh to say what's better for society. Just led by what seems to be fair is fair that if a man is drafted a woman is too... Wasn't made military service obligatory for both men and women in Morocco just a time ago? Would be interesting to see how they are doing.

About a woman beign weak, I think plenty of weak men could be drafted too and isn't a problem. Every individual could be useful. Is the job of a good strategist to make everyone necessary and useful and make it work. However I prefer nobody to be drafted, I prefer military service to be volunteer for both sexes, since I live in a society we're it haven't existed any military draft since 2001.

• As a women I don't want to be drafted I don't want to die.

• Those who don't want to be drafted shouldn't be drafted. Period.

Women's contribution to run an economy when men have been out to war is so valuable though.

• Well I heard when a woman is in pain the guys instinct is to freak out and give all of his attention to her. Something about a woman being in trouble and the guy has to help. So picture that in a war, that guy would kill his squad by giving her special treatment. Unless they are incels or guys that just really hate women, they would probably watch her die with pleasure.

Also this: www.militarytimes.com/.../

• I think that there should be extensive mental and physical testing, for both men and women, to see if they're deemed fit to serve.

• I don't think anyone should be drafted. War is bad.

• no one should be drafted men nor women

• what if there is a hostile force invading your town, what if they will rape your mothers or sisters?

• Not at all. Females didn't make the rule. Men back then, some even now, laughed and laugh at the thought of women doing any sort of physical work. Still tell us we should have stayed in the kitchen. It's so not feminine.
    Loved and love to talk about how women are physically inferior etc. Well yeah hope you enjoy the draft.
    I accepted I can't do things a "man" was built for. My stepdad set me in my place long ago with that reality.
    They can keep it. Don't be mad at females for something your own gender decided.

• Lol you have tons of self-hate

Did a religion brainwashed you?

• Yeah you're right I have a lot of self-hate. I hate myself not because of my gender just I do.
      I wish I was dead never born. I don't wanna be alive but I'm to much if a coward to die. I'm a disappointment to everyone. I wish I could give my life to someone who would make use of it.

• Waking up everyday just reminding me of how worthless I am.
      Being hated
      Trying to make others happy fix things.
      I can't anymore
      I just cry and cry
      No one can help me I can't even help myself.

No one cares
      Bottles of pill
      I can't even jump. I just chicken out and sit there crying.
      I can't go to anyone.
      I have no one
      I can't do anything right.
      I'm nothing but cancer a disease.
      I don't deserve to live.
      I'm not going to be a coward anymore it wouldn't matter to anyone if I just died. That would just make everyone happy. The world would be better off.

• On number 6, why would the military. Need to pay for their birth control?

• Military and dependents have very nice medical coverage.

• It's a strange point though. There are tons of women in the military, and so this is not any more of an issue in a draft that without a draft. Also, military dependents (most of whom are women) still get the same benefits. So, fighting or not, the government pays for this in the U. S. I don't know about other countries.

• No one should be drafted.

• I don't believe women belong in the military

• I think everybody who wants to be there should get a chance to be in the military... and on the otherhand, if you dont want you shoudnt have to.

• @MidnightCowboy No it's common sense. Most women are weaker than men.

• depends on training, iam a bodybuild, iam way stronger than the average men.
      Just our beauty standards doesn't encurage woman to work out.

• No one should be drafted

• DID THEY SEND ME DAUGHTERS WHEN I ASKED FOR SONS

• Rape

• No we have periods. I'll pass

• I thought they changed that.

• Good take

• In the end the more the merrier right?

• Show more from Girls
    9