Did he make America Great Again, or have we lost our so-called greatness?

Many years ago, we had this...

Followed by this:

And this...

All Positive Points..

no no no.. I alone will Make America Great Again

America wasn't "great" .. but he will make it "great"...

Which brings us to my mash-up called "Maury Fued" mix of Maury Povich and Family Fued.

Where do we begin?
Where do we begin?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-trump-not-kept-promises-sotu-20190204-story.html- President Trump has not kept most of the promises he made at last year's State of the Union address

What was suppose to be fixed: IMMIGRATION, UNITY, INFRASTRUCTURE, CRIMINAL JUSTICE

We examine Immigration. What was his main concern. Illegals. Nothing more. A fixation on a wall, sorry a fence, sorry, a whatever you call it..

Was anything else about a wall talked about... SURVEY SAYS...

nope...
nope...

Next.. We go to unity.. UNITY.. We are to UNITE..

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/sep/14/trump-charlottesville-both-sides-tim-scott

Trump revives criticism of 'both sides' in Charlottesville

http://politicalflare.com/2019/01/trump-throws-his-full-support-behind-smirking-covington-kid-captivated-the-attention-of-the-world Trump Throws His Full Support Behind Smirking Covington Kid: ‘Captivated the Attention of the World!’

SURVEY SAYS

NOPE
NOPE

Infrastructure...

https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/trump-threatens-possible-infrastructure-bill-over-border-wall-demand - Trump Threatens Infrastructure Legislation Over Border Wall Demand

SURVEY SAYS!

Nope....
Nope....

and ah yes... CRIMINAL JUSTICE

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-appearances/kim-kardashian-meeting-donald-trump-in-the-oval-office-is-a-nightmare-we-cant-wake-up-from- Kim Kardashian Meeting Donald Trump in the Oval Office Is a Nightmare We Can’t Wake Up From

And what did we get out of this??

Criminal Justice Reform right here...
Criminal Justice Reform right here...

So not only nothing was fixed, but it was a MOCKERY..

My last question to you (I may pose this) Since the Republicans had the HOUSE and SENATE. for 2 years..How come you did not put up your WALL THEN!?

1635
legalboxers is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girls

• The USA lost it's so-called greatness before Obama moved into the White House. He just made America's slide down faster. The out-of-the-box view (a perspective from outside of the USA) of Obama's presidency is less-liked than Trump's but that doesn't make Donald's any better.

• @legalboxers: Thank you for the other MHGirl. :)

• Wow, you sound like you feel you have no power, weak and victimized. Maybe that’s true.

Either way, you do you girl.

May the road always rise up to meet you, may the wind always be at your back, and sun upon your face.

Best L

• @sjoes006: Hey, thank you! All the best to you as well. No worries, we've always managed forging our own destiny regardless of the powers that be.

Most Helpful Guys

• what he means is "make me great again" as well as "make russia great again"

that's what he's doing. he's USING AMERICA TO MAKE HIM AND RUSSIA GREAT AGAIN

IMPEACH45

#treason

Join the discussion

1433
  • International respect, that's what was thrown out the window the moment Trump won the elections.

There's still many good things about the US, but boasting isn't one of them. Trump is picking up fights with the EU, China, Japan... Well, basically everyone but Russia, and will that really benefit the US in the long run?
    What will happen once you start closing military bases world-wide and build barricades all around your frontiers? Will jobs and sallaries increase, will it create a better happier society? I personally think it won't, but I'm not from the US.

I will just say that, when I was a kid, the image I had of Americans is that they were both humble and generous, no matter how good in life they were doing. Now, especially judging from people here on GAG, is that people live their lives pretending to be something they're not, want to be different, the sexiest, prettiest, richer, smarter, more successful, etc. because just being you in whatever level that puts you is clearly not enough. And if you're failing in life (according to illusional parameters) then it's probably someone else's fault, starting with a parent, or your race, maybe your gender...

It's not an American trend only, but I digress. Anyway, historically every empire in the world has eventually reached an end.

• "Make America Great Again" to Trump zealots means back to the days where white men could slap women around and minorities were treated like garbage. The days they fantasize about.

• I’m from the UK and wanted Hillary Clinton to win... I don’t feel my opinion matters as I don’t live in the USA... but I believe that he deserves to not be vilified all the time as he had the guts to go for presidency and won! Life is different now and leaders are celebrities now more than people who want what’s right

• " The American Way of life is individualistic, dynamic, and pragmatic. It affirms the supreme value and dignity of the individual; it stresses incessant activity on his part, for he is never to rest but is always to be striving to "get ahead"; it defines an ethic of self-reliance, merit, and character, and judges by achievement: "deeds, not creeds" are what count. The "American Way of Life" is humanitarian, "forward-looking", optimistic. Americans are easily the most generous and philanthropic people in the world, in terms of their ready and unstinting response to suffering anywhere on the globe. The American believes in progress, in self-improvement, and quite fanatically in education. But above all, the American is idealistic. Americans cannot go on making money or achieving worldly success simply on its own merits; such "materialistic" things must, in the American mind, be justified in "higher" terms, in terms of "service" or "stewardship" or "general welfare"... And because they are so idealistic, Americans tend to be moralistic; they are inclined to see all issues as plain and simple, black and white, issues of morality.

— William Herberg, Protestant, Catholic, Jew: an Essay in American religious sociology"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I think most people can agree we have gotten away from our core values as a country and that our adherence to the principles of our own ethos "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" has waned. I don't think Trump ever said HE will make America Great Again. He said we have gotten away from who we are (according to our values) and that WE together can make this country great again (getting back to our values). Which is why he hammers down "America is Great" this is who we are and we haven't been living up to who we are. That's why you see ardent defense to assaults on Freedom of Speech. Or how we actually have to debate places calling for abortion up until the day of birth.

There's an old song title that says it well.
    "Who I am Ain't Who I've Been".

• Truth is, your country stopped being great a long time ago. What you call "greatness" was just the threat your gigantic military power threw over the world.
    People wouldn't challenge you, because you were prompt to invade and crush anyone who wouldn't obey.
    As it has been said before, the US has no allies, only vassals or enemies.

• And honestly, many of us don't think back on previous times as particularly great either.

There have been many great things about the US. Public library system, education (not as much now TBH), our Constitution, advancements in Science and Medicine (that no one can afford now), etc.

But if you are part of a marginalized group those old days meant incursions to our civil rights all the time (sadly, that's what Donny Dipshit DID revive in America.)

I think we squandered the good will of the world after 9-11.

• Well you can't really pretend he hasn't been trying to meet his promise on immigration, he just hasn't been successful.
    A call for unity isn't really a promise, so that hardly counts.
    And the first article itself brings up the First Step Act, which is him meeting the criminal justice promise.

Obviously he's got more to do to satisfy supporters and yadda yadda but the only one of the 4 he hasn't touched yet in infrastructure.

• Well America was never great to begin with so jot that down.
    And no, he's actively made it worse in every way possible

• It's simple really. We're at a point in the nation where you can build a culture around being proud of male anal sex, being HIV positive, march in the streets mostly naked with giant dildos, and the media will laud you as amazing and wonderful.

Start a culture based around being proud of "our ancestors gave us the Renaissance, Shakespeare, Democracy, Western Civilization " and you are evil incarnate.

• What constitutes great, it's a word without meaning or content unless clearly defined?

In many ways, I think the USA is great, but in many other ways, I do not believe the USA is great or even adequate. So it's all about your definition of what constitutes greatness.

* It is military, then yes, USA is great
    * It is socials justice, then no
    * It is personal liberty then yes
    * It is welfare then no

What is great and how is it measured?

• It somehow reminds me of Tywin Lannister's line in A Storm of Swords.

'When you are opposed by your enemies, you show them steel and fire, when they bend their knees to you, however, you help them rise back on their feet. Elsewise noone will ever bend their knee to you. And any man who feels a need to remind people that he is the king is no true king at all. Aerys never understood that, but you will'

Same principle, any country that professes itself as greatness is no great by any means.

• Trump is a complete embarrassment... Sorry but it's true

• When he was elected by the nation's paint chip munchers, we lost a lot of international credibility.

• I feel like America is that grandpa who still thinks he's hot shit and won't stop embarrassing the hell out of you but can be bad ass when the time calls for it.

• 10h

When Donald was elected many people near me were pretty mad about everything. I think that's he's a liar and made this country more of a laughing stock to other countries. But America is great because we have rights but we as a country are not perfect either

• 6d

One thing I think Trump nailed in was polarized thought.

Things are either right or wrong now. There's no compromise. We can't work on separate issues in parallel. There's only one option.

His most lasting impact is going to be that ignorance and destruction is power.

• Trump won't have time to make America Great again. We will be better than before. He will move US in right direction, but it depends on next President. Reagan America better. Clinton stained the Oval Office and degraded it.

• It’s the people that make our country what it is. Not the president.

• America is still one of the GREATEST places on earth to live, we still a have dollar that's worth something and we still have many of our personal freedoms that many Americans enjoy.

• 7d

The Bushes, Clintons and Obama are traitors. The evidence is there and more is coming out as we comment on this Take.

As for Trump; anybody can do the reasearch and look at the numbers.

Hail the God-Emperor.

• I don't see how anyone could be against the things he said in the state of the union unless they are people who are unamerican because he addressed very important things and whether you like him or not he was right

• I feel that great is subjective. I don't think Trump has made great again. He's essentially made America a joke and a laughing stock. It's far from what it used to be. It's not even worth fighting for. America is Titanic of Countries.

• Not trying to be a dick, but was it ever all that great?

• It hasn’t been great for a long time.

But now it’s a joke.

• 12h

Well... your post is a bit much, but to answer, America hasn't been great for a really, really long time. Maybe we never were. We're too fucking stupid to be great. 45 is simply case in point.

• In 2015 when same sex marriage was legalized that was the end of America being great Trump had nothing to do with it until that is overturned and things are back to normal nothing is great

• Well, he did help America.

And the fact you Americans think greatness was ever your thing, well... it just make me laugh.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTACH1eVIaA translation: americans are stupid.

• In Finland, people do memes from TRUMP. People Too watch news and think what shit Trump is going To do.. Yes you have lost it.

• This country was never "great". So how can it be again?

• I’m not from the USA, but America is and was great, making America great again is pointless because it is still a great country, it may have flaws but so do all other countries, republicans like appealing to nostalgia, they like to remember a time in history that never existed, almost like a 1950s utopia, that’s why trumps slogan works because it hits that nostalgia factor, and democrats seem to appeal to this utopian future where nobody is poor and no bad people exist, basically what I’m getting at is America is a great country but their politics is a bit of a gong show

• Yeah. He's just like everyone else who runs for office.

• America has been benefiting from WW2 financially until fairly recently. No wonder the economy isn't as good as it was

• There's no slogan he could have came up with, that would be OK with the libtards.

• He is making American to take proud of things they never achieved. Having a believe that I'm best is good, only I'm best is a disease.

• I don't want to say but obama was far better enough than trump...

• America's Greatness was our common love for the nation. That has been gone for my whole life.

• I love it when dimwits downvote but don't respond so as to avoid showing how ignorant they are.

• 12h

I think America best times are way long time ago passed. It's last times was until 2001. After that it started losing its Super power statues or at least its greatness.

I am from Europe when I was a kid my dream was to live in USA. I was growing up in 90s so i remember all this great movies, music from that time and Michael Jordan playing in NBA. But since 2005 even more early I would say 2001 after 9/11 it started losing it's coolness. Everything just changed there. People drive even less American cars. When I was in USA east coast more then half of people cars drive are either European or Japanese. It's even hard to see American car anymore. Ny lost it's symbol , statues being removed, less free then it was. People less cool... It just not the same it was. I wish i could go back in time and visit USA of it's past. 80s,90s,50s..

• Politicians lie and throw out buzz phrases. This is not new information.

• Only time will tell, but it’s a shit show.

• No one seems to ask - great for whom?

• If anything he does give people a laugh!!

• America was nevet great top begin with.

• America was never great to begin with.

• It was never really that great

• We've always been great

• His point is that America is Great, but we haven't been living that out. Like the song "Who I Am Ain't Who I've Been". We've gotten away from who we are is the point. Agree or disagree he's not saying we aren't great. He's saying we are great and we should be living up to that greatness.

• He made the USA a laughing stock, literally

• America was never that great