Has any president been quite like Trump?

Cheers
Cheers

The Ugly Truth

Now please before you choose to string me up, allow me to tell you that I used that picture only because it was the quickest I could find. While I do think that they share certain qualities, they were not that much alike that I could place them as the same people. Although to be fair, I wouldn't do that with anyone it is not a fair assumption. Also I know that our country is an extremely divided nation, as is the world at large. Why is that considering that there are times I look and think to myself that these things should not be new to my generation. Older generations would also do well to remember the times that we have endured in the past. So please, if you want to read on I would appreciate the chance to lay out the point of view that I believe, but if you don't I will also wish you well and bid you farewell.

Now there are some that will be offended at this, but such is the burden of truth. Donald Trump, he can not be easily described because of the many sides that he shows. I think that he is an arrogant man that speaks whatever is on his mind at any given time. He holds no real loyalties because he thinks that he is smarter than the average person, and in doing so feels that others are out to get him over the smallest of insults. He is known for the people that he knows, but has no real friends. That is the best that I can sum up the man, but now that I am looking at what I wrote I realize these are the reasons that I voted for him. In truth we needed a strong will, and someone who didn't mind slinging mud so long as the job was finished. How shocked would you be if I could name another president that although had more qualifications was also like the man in office now?

John Adams
John Adams

John Adams 2nd President of the United States

John Adams was in more ways like the current president than historians would be willing to admit. While it would be hard to know the man on a personal level, it would seem that the behavior that we associate with the current president is not anything new at all. On top of Mr. Adams ability to put people down and the witty spirit he used to throw jabs at allies and foes alike, he was a very combative commander in chief that at most times would stand alone on his policies because his own cabinet did not agree.

Now although those are but a few similar traits I would like to move on in the interest of time and attention span. It does go to show that while we are continually either impressed or disgusted with the current administration, the struggle has been going on for many years.

James Monroe
James Monroe

James Monroe

If there was any man that may have beat the current president in terms of temper and tantrums, this man surely would be the rival. James Monroe, while being the 5th president of the USA has been known to be a true beast of anger at times. Two more memorable outbursts would be when he got into an argument with William H Crawford, the treasury of state, and in the end chased him from the room with a pair of hot fireplace tongs. Of course there was the time that he almost dueled Alexander Hamiltion had not a mutual friend settled the argument.

So as it seems there is no lack of presidents that have had the same issues that we today abhor. But as I have said the truth of the world is that we are doomed to repeat the past if for no other reason that we refuse to learn from it. But I will move on to some men that my generation has seen, or have heard of.

HMMM
HMMM

John F Kennedy

Now I know that there are some of you that are up in arms over this, I will be blunt. I said I would appreciate it if you read this, I did not now or ever break an arm to get you here. The truth of this comparison is simple. John F Kennedy as well as Donald Trump have made the stock markets rise on a constant basis, that is until they either made demands of another nation, or in the present case compromised with the other side in order to get further ahead. At which point, for both men, the rise on stock prices began to dip for a bit.

Which brings me to the last president which, in fact, does relate to the picture on the front of this take.

Ronald Reagan

Now some will scoff, and some will not. I was too young to actually be involved in politics at the time, but if you are my age, you may remember all the times that we had drills in the school in case of a missle launch. Not that I think hiding under a desk was much protection, but remember them I do. You see there are things that most people have lost to history, as for modern times this president has indeed set the standard of the Republican party. He has told people like it is, even when they didn't fully understand that he was taking a shot at them at their expense. Now I will not go so far to say that he is similar enough to Trump to actually place him there, but he does remind me of the reasons that I voted the way that I did.

So What HAVE They Done?

Here are but a small list of the achievements of the presidents listed above:

John Adams

He successfully defended British soldiers involved in the Boston Massacre. ...
He played a prominent role in igniting the American Revolution. ...
He was a leading member of the Continental Congress.

Adams played a principal role in administering the American Revolutionary War.

James Monroe

He participated in the Battle of Trenton during the American Revolution. ...
Monroe served as U.S. Minister to France from 1794 to 1796. ...
He served as Secretary of State and Secretary of War under President James Madison. ...
James Monroe served as the fifth President of the United States.

John F Kennedy

He was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for heroism during World War II. ...

John F. Kennedy is the youngest ever elected President of the United States. ...
He took the U.S. economy out of recession through his reforms. ...
He established the Peace Corps in 1961.

Ronald Reagan

Conquering the Cold War: ...
Strategic Defense Initiative: ...
A New Vision of the GOP: ...
American Values: ...

Now I am not going to put The President's out here, but for selfish reasons, I don't think that it matters to most what the man accomplishes. I think I would find what I know, that there are people who will always overlook the good in order to find the bad. I will though leave a link for you, that way if you ever decide to look at the things he HAS done and not the things that people say he has, you have the information available.

289 Accomplishments

617

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe you don't remember Reagan. I do. Reagan was a visionary. When it came to world affairs, he was simply compelling. His view was that America and America alone had to lead the world to a new future. That our system of government, our democratic institutions were the gold standard that all other nations should aspire to. That was what made him compelling for me. I was only 8 years old when he was elected. But I was aware enough through high school in his second term of his policies. I remember the Berlin Wall, all of it.

The world was a much different place back then. And he had a big part in making possible the changes that were needed in world affairs.

• I never said that Reagan was not a great president, in fact I think he was one of the better ones that I have seen in my years. I only made mention of him based on the way that he had acted in the media with the unruly press, as well as others. Which is not to say he was wrong. In fact sometimes I feel that a firm hand is needed in order to get a point made. Sometimes it seems that people think that the one who talks louder will become the winner, this is a sorry state of thinking though. Only if for the fact then when we raise our voices against each other, neither side hears what the other says.

• Okay I understand you now. And I hope my point was understood as well.

Thank you sir. I am off to go see Battle Angel, as soon as I can schedule a suitable viewing time.

• Aw yes, I see, I have heard that is good.

Most Helpful Girl

Join the discussion

516
  • Trump is a populist , loyal to the people as any president should be. I can't compare him easily to other presidents as the country has never faced as grave a threat as the cultural Marxist one that threatens the entire west. None of the others had to deal with something as apocalyptic as that.

• Well said and thought out. Thank you

• The Soviet Union, with mutually assured destruction that almost accidentally destroyed eveyone on the planet at least once is nothing compared to people saying that healthcare is good. Right?

Is he loyal to the people, or just some of the people?

• @goaded Trump is loyal to classic liberalism which is a racial. The only way he is not loyal to you is if you are not a classic liberal. If you are not, then you do not support the American system.

• This is an odd analysis. To stipulate similarities between President Trump and other Presidents based on similarities of personality is problematic.

By that standard, you may as well compare President Trump to Mother Teresea. The range of human behavior is highly variable and is apt, in any number of ways to overlap with other humans. What makes human beings unique is the combination of various qualities inherent in themselves.

To say that two human beings are - to use an example you used above - combative, is rather banal. In general, people summon in themselves combativeness when that quality is required.

The difference between, for example, Reagan and Trump is not that both were/are combative. It is rather how they express that quality in any given context.

Mr. Trump is combative almost as a religion. He has a knack for pouring salt in the social wounds when a more temperate expression of his views might be better, not just for the country, but even for himself.

By contrast, for Reagan, those moments of combativeness were the exception and not the rule. For the most part, he came across as a sunny optimist with old fashioned good manners. Coming out of the tumult of the 1960s and 70s this was a tonic as Reagan's personality soothed ruffled feathers of 20 years of social combat.

This is not to say that Reagan's policies were not controversial - indeed compared to Mr. Trump, they were pioneering. (Trump tends to be either unoriginal - his tax cuts ape the Reagan model - or retrograde - his trade policies would have horrified Reagan.) However, Reagan expressed them in such a way as to moderate social conflict, and hence, in part, the relative social peace of the 1980s.

This was brilliantly captured by a cartoon published in the 80s. (I remember it and regret I have not been able to track it down.) The first panel showed a pollster asking a voter what he thinks of Reagan's policies. The voter replies, angrily, #$*!@. The next panel shows the pollster asking the same voter what he thinks of Reagan personally. The voter replies, "Oh, great guy! Genial. Really likeable. Friendly."

Suffice to say, it is hard to imagine attributing those latter qualities to President Trump - and that is the difference. It is why Mr. Trump must be judged, in terms of his constitutional role of Head of State - that is in terms of the President's symbolic and ceremonial duties - a failure even this early in his tenure.

Mr. Trump seems to be operating on the assumption that economic prosperity, in and of itself, will be an adequate substitute for social peace. This is almost assuredly mistaken. Indeed, the more prosperous the society, absent social harmony, the more likely citizens will feel sufficiently secure in a material sense to give vent to their harshest instincts.

This, then, likely in due course endangering the very prosperity that makes such conflict possible. See also how the prosperity and social upheaval of the 60s set the stage for the economic decline and social upheaval of the 70s.

The irony is that in making personal comparisons, you ignored the more pertinent philosophical question. We have, in that sense, been here before.

Mr. Trump is a populist - and we have seen this before. President Andrew Jackson - allowing for differences of time and context - is the President most like Mr. Trump. Indeed, it is reported that Mr. Trump is an admirer of President Jackson.

To be fair, populism is not so much a schematic philosophy in the sense of conservatism and liberalism, as it is a disposition toward society characterized by the almost deification of the common man. By hostility toward hierarchy, elites and established institutions.

This sums up Mr. Trump's view. In this, however, it is a stark contrast again to Reagan. To be sure, Reagan often spoke of "We the people" and distrust of government, but he was careful to couch in terms of respect for the Founding Fathers and the Constitution.

Trump is, then, the anti-Reagan.

• I think it's quite funny actually, how TEA partiers have this PR strategy of playing Yankee Doodle Dandy -- and many deluded supporters have actually bought into it too -- all while the president they pick is actually a wannabe Francisco Franco.

The American conservative does not like Trump because he is constitutional -- that means jack shit to them -- they like him because deep down they feel that western-style liberal democracy has failed them. They wanted proto-fascism all along, why would they stump for a system that would bring them Social Democracy? The reality is that time is the enemy of the conservative. He is always one election away from a few of his ideas being lost to history. To truly preserve the social order they want, there's only one fix: a strong-man dictator.

Mark my words, readers, the Republican Party is out to destroy what we know as our constitutional system and American way of life. A tradition that goes from John C. Calhoun to Harry Flood Byrd to James Buchanan to David and Charles Koch is dead set on rallying phalanxes of loyal republican operatives in every body of legislation across the country with the intention of holding a constitutional convention to amend section 5, nullify the 17th amendment and 8 other horrors that would undo our American government as we know it. You think we're a proto-fascist aristocracy now? Just wait until they their ducks in a row.

You don't care though, OP, about history or the constitution or anything. This racist wall is more important to you than the future of our country. Can we at least just stop playing this game of pretending you believe in anything besides watered-down, Americanized fascism? No moderate or reasonable person would make a post like this, OP. You are a far-right neoreactionary.

• Wow... someone else has hair and makes thumbs up sign...
    I think they always link him to Nixon and Ronald Reagan and I do support both

• I take that as a sign that you breezed through this without reading, I say that in the confidence that the very first line gave the reasoning for that picture. That being said, I will refrain from commenting on your age, as I find sometimes that doesn't matter. I will though make comment to your reading and research habits, as they are of a much deeper concern both to myself as well as the future of the American republic. When tasked with burden of research, it is the duty of those tasked to read all facts whether they are for or against your beliefs. In not doing so, one will always come to a conclusion that is incomplete and lacks credibility. So in that I wish that you would continue with that knowledge that while not everything is to your like, it will not ever be so. Men and women have done the same things that you just did with the same bland results, and right now in this day and age it shows. News is not gleamed from Blurbs on a social news feed, nor will it ever replace the value of history and what it has to teach.

• I didn't read all but most. And I'm not American

• No. And I read the entire half damage control/should have been a mytake guestion!

• I accept all fail associated with saying guestion.. Dammit

• No, the comment though eluded me as to what you meant. As to your opinion I was referencing the comment itself. The My Take is my opinion, people will agree as well as disagree, and yet others will agree to disagree.

• As did the No. that preceded my comment. Anyway I doubt Trump will show up on paper currency. We would have had one hell of a wall already. And there will never be any voter or bipartisan legislative landslide for the guy.

• Reagan was a failure and destructive to this country.
    1. Legalized no fault divorce, which has utterly cratered marriage rates by making marriage literally less than a scrap of paper.
    2. Provided amnesties for illegal aliens, in return for... nothing.
    3. Pass gun control laws that did utterly nothing to help the USA.

• All of them. You need a level of self importance, narcissism and sociopathy to think YOU are the one who can perfectly run a country.

• Not in living memory for sure. I mean George W Bush was dumb but he wasn't isolated like Trump.

• No, but each president has been different in his own way.

• Has any president been quite like Trump?
    His aggressivity is on par with Andrew Jackson

• maybe

• He's an idiot, bigot and liar. But there have been others.

• Ronald Reagan was the greatest president who ever lived Trump is ok I don't love him I don't hate him

• 5d

I think trump is much more like other presidents in my life than a lot of people want to admit, they should all be in jail

• Yeah but not to this extent

• True but to be fair, the shock value of society has risen over the last decades with people like Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, Jerry Springer to name but a few. So it seems fitting that we now face someone who is much more that we are used to in this day and age. Mind you I am not defending him either. I will only judge him based on results at this point. :) So there is that, and also if looked at from the right to left, many believe that some of the newer delegates we have elected are also much more than we have handled in the past as well.

• Lol Not Quite. xx

• Facing a communist opposition party? No, none.

• Good mytake

• If Trump were only an arrogant man, our country would be much better off. Unfortunately, he is a malignant narcissist, and a compulsive liar, who had divided our country, and brought out the worst in Americans. He has already damaged our governing institutions and our respect for the rule of law to the extent that we may never fully recover, and he has made it much easier for a dictatorial president to become a dictator in the not necessarily so distant future. Trump is at least the worst president since James Buchanan, and may well be the worst president ever.

• Trump is not a great president and to be compared to others. Trump will go down as one of the worst. Guaranteed.

• Has any other US president been immature, irrational and arrogant altogether like Trump? No.