Do you think I'm cut out for boxing?

My reason for actually joining a league is that I dont feel successful in other venues of my life. I think that I can express my self-loathing and desperation for improvement through my fighting technique. I don't necessarily care for the sport itself, but I feel like while everyone else is having their happy relationships and experiences, I need to refine myself and obtain victory with my own hands. Boxing is a perfect place to do that because my hard work directly translates to results in a way that is tangible and obtainable for idiots like me.

People say that my reasons for wanting to fight are wrong and that I won't do well but I feel the complete opposite. I'm tired of people looking at me and thinking so lowly of me. I want my opponents and the people watching to feel my intensity in every punch, and when I win, nobody deny me my victories.

Its angsty and edgy, but yeah. This is what goes on in my head.

*me for reference*Do you think I'm cut out for boxing?
Updates:
I have been training since I was 16

0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• I can't see any reason why not. Your reasons aren't wrong - some people when it comes to things like this turn to unhealthy outlets such as drink, drugs etc. With boxing however it will only improve your health and your confidence in general. Many of the best boxers/fighters have been disadvantaged and that was their motivation.

However you mention that you don't care for the sport - in order to do well you have to care about it. Your heart has to be in it. It requires a ton of discipline, a lot of sacrifices in order to do well. You'll have good days and bad days like anyone else - if your heart isn't in it, you most likely won't stay disciplined on your bad days. Heart is what gets you through the hard training and through hard fights.

You have to love the sport to do well, and you have to be obsessive about it - obsessive is the word average people use to describe the dedicated. You have to eat right all the time - you're in good shape but you need to lose some more fat. Avoid partying, alcohol etc. Again people will call this "unhealthy", but if you eat nothing but good food and you avoid filling your body with shit, it's not unhealthy at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who cares what you look like how’s your footwork? What’s your weight/reach, how’s lower how’s the jab? Can you mix aggression with being smart? How do you react when hit?

0|0
    0|0
    • My footwork is decent, but I have a bad left knee so I am a little slower than I could be. I am 165, 5'10 but I have not measures my arms since high school. I am a very cerebral boxer; I try not to get hit ever for no reason. If I get hit i try and get a winning trade or a counter. I always outpace my orthodox partners because I am southpaw and my jabs last longer than theirs. I put a lot of thought into how to fight, but I never had the drive to actually compete until now

• Show All
    • Yeah I know I sounded ambitious but realistically itll just be a small gym league and Im going to school as well so I'll be focusing on that mainly

• Yeah do it. I wish I had younger.

I remember telling myself before my first fight night that the only difference between winning and losing is talent, practice and sometimes tactics haha. But the difference between people who get in the ring and those who don’t is a lot bigger then that.

Most Helpful Girl

• Dunno. Topless shots don't tell me anything about skill

0|0
    0|0
    • I was talking more about the mentality aspect of it. Like do you think someone with my mentality can do well?

• Dunno. Seen some people like it before. Didn't go well for them but then again they aren't boxers soo

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• If you don't care for boxing, don't invest your time in boxing. Aside from the great workout and potential for injury, you'll get nothing.
    Look for something you could be passionate about that could also earn others' respect.
    If you have a passion for boxing, then I agree 100%. Otherwise, either develop a passion for it, or find something else that you actually have a passion for.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you gotta have a passion for the sport to succeed and become a professional. If your heart not in it. You will fail or just give up. You gotta have the passion. So that reason I don't think your cut off for boxing.
    When you said " I don't necessarily care for the sport itself" You don't have the passion or drive.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sounds like you're perfectly motivated to me. You should go for it. Get that poison out of your system in a legitimate way or you'll wind up crackin or robbing a gas station or something stupid like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • Bruh, I respect anyone who does anything in pursuit of fitness. Even if the motivation may seem wrong, at the very least, you are improving in some form.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes you just have to keep trying I saw that you said that never actually boxes before but like everything you could be good it just takes practice

0|0
    0|0
  • I mean you got the motivation and probably the physical strength so yeah

0|0
    0|0
  • Too late
    You should be at your peak right now
    Meaning starting at like 13

0|0
    0|0
    • I have been training since I was 16** forgot to mention. But I have never taken an actual fight.

• You look fit there but unfortunately I know nothing about boxing.

0|0
    0|0
  • Only you know if you are cut out for boxing, nobody else.

0|0
    0|0
  • how tall are you dude?

0|0
    0|0
  • Do it. Nobody will be thinking lowly of you when you ko someone talking smack.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes