Love it or Hate it: What is your experience with Valentines Day?

The first year I had a legit boyfriend the one that talked about wanting to marry me I was excited when Valentines Day came around I dressed all cute and got him balloons and flowers and picked the perfect card and wrote the sweetest message in it.

something was wrong though. So I made the mistake of saying “it seems like you don’t even want a girlfriend” and he was quiet and said “maybe I don’t”

The problem he was struggling with was his suicidal crackhead mom couldn’t stand him having a girlfriend that had him bettering his life. And my parents were too squeeky clean making her feel ashamed. And he still loves me 25 years and a divorce later.

But it seems that confusing breakup cursed me!

Valentines Day historically makes me sad and even when I was married didn’t meet my expectations. But the things he did for me were rushed and devoid of actual love.

This year I am dating someone passionate but due to his culture being different not sure he celebrates it. But I will take the passion!

39

Most Helpful Guys

• I just forget about this kind of holidays. It's just an excuse to buy, book, travel...

I mean, If you really love your partner, why you should wait to an specific day to have a detail? Just do it when you feel it's the right time.

• HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT...

HATE IT

Just another excuse for a woman to be disappointed that I didn’t spend enough. Lol

Join the discussion

37
  • Forgettable. The times I had a girlfriend and did valentines day was generally annoying to painful.

When I was single, I can just do whatever. It really is a terrible day no matter where I stand.

• So almost what’s the point it’s supposed to be about love and leaves you lonely 😢

• I have my doubts on the intuitiveness on Valentines day. They said love is supposed to be unconditional, yet Valentines day seems to be the day to express love, when you and your partner can just do that on any other day. Heck anniversaries make more sense as the quasi-Valentines day. I just can't see the point of the day.

• I've always been good at celebrating the holiday when in a relationship. I usually grab the right gifts and convey the right sentiments but I find the day itself is largely one sided.

• I'm sort of indifferent to v day. It's just another day. Some years I'll incorporate some candy n flowers, othere I don't bother.

• Good take

• It's expensive

• Being perpetually lonely

• Out of experience It's actually just another day

• Waste of a holiday

• Interesting

• Valentines day is a day of female entitlement.

• I can see why you feel that way for sure 😢

• Thanks for your honesty.