If You Were Immortal How Would You Stay Sane?

It said that immortality comes with a price.
Unfortunately, that price is more than just a nose which is why insanity is a common theme when dealing with immortal beings. The years of years of traumatic experiences can pile on top of each other becoming a weight too much to bare PTSD to the max. Even if your experiences are not too traumatic you would still have to watch your loved ones die over and over again.
So that brings me to the question if you were immortal could you stay sane and if so how?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it all comes down to someone's will and what their goals are if they had immortality.

I think if somehow an immortal being choose to abandon everyone and everything and just leave it all behind since they already know and is aware the fact that the inevitable would have happened either way, then they won't have to suffer by watching others suffer over and over again.

If it was possible why not just skip ahead really far into the distant future? Everyone's long gone and not longer exist by then and thus they would Never had been there the whole time to watch and see their loved ones suffer and die in the first place.

Would it not have been better to just NEVER been present there at all to watch and see their loved ones suffer and then eventually die anyway?

If I was immortal wouldn't waste time and effort in trying to change or better a world such as ours for example, in which I know and believe can absolutely never be fixed or change for the better, and I find no point of saving or harming anyone or anything since the end results are all the same: They would always eventually die no matter what, all attempts to change and make it better are entirely futile attempts, but I do give credit and respect for those that continue to try and try and try. But I just don't expect it ever really get better when I looked into our Planet's and Humanity's history altogether, I find the negative to greatly outweigh any of the positive.

And that the best anyone could really do is just postpone and delay the inevitable.

Also it is because I absolute know that I can not control the world, I can never control the world, and NEITHER would I ever have any desire to control the world as how it would turn out and because I know I will never ever have control over other people. So I'd forget about trying to change or save the world, because I just absolutely don't believe it can be saved. Again, all attempts I believed would be eventually futile.

Ideally like I said, if I was immortal I would want to skip ahead far far far into the very very distant future through space Faster-Than-Light travel or some sort of time displacement. Or if not possible, I'd find a way to leave to go to a new world in a far away planet or alternate reality or dimension and have a complete fresh start. But that would be my clear goal.

And depending on what kind or type of immortality you're referring to specifically? Any specific requirements to maintain the immortality?

• No particular requirements or type I kept it broad on purpose to give everyone some creative freedon.

• Yeah perhaps. If said angels are not secretly of an alien race with advanced technology. But then if one is an angel that would involve serving a holy deity of some kind. I doubt they are allowed to just poof where ever they want to.

• If not an alien that is.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd change careers often and I'd learn to play cello, piano, guitar, violin so I could take out my frustrations on a music sheet. Then again, I'm already crazy so there would be no damage.

• See that's what I meant. That's the spirit. You have to have goals. Goals that are set and then immortality wouldn't be so damn pointless. But now you would have all the time to learn how to play all those various instruments and learn about pretty much everything else if you had become immortal.

• Thanks for MHO, OP. :)

What Guys Said 14

• I have always wondered that - It must be very hard - I once saw a TV show where a guy wanted to be made immortal and he got his wish with a twist, he was made a living statue, fully conscious, fully aware but coundn't speak or move, be careful what you ask for.

• That dude really should have been thinking more deeply before rushing a decision to just make a wish, I mean he didn't even bother to look at every possible angle of what the version of immortality he was gonna be receiving? He said he want to live forever, BUT then he forgot to say that he actually wanted to RETAIN all of his motor functions, or that they'd be intact. Maybe he should have wrote everything down and make sure there is very little that his own words when making the wish would go against him. Should revise it over and over and find every possibility of flaws in the way he decides to word his wish and then he'd won't regret anything, well even if he did it would be substantially less. But look on the bright side, I suppose as a conscious and self-aware statue for all eternity, he doesn't have any maintenance requirements. it's like he instantly converted from bio organic matter into an eternal stone.

• I wouldn't be able to stay sane. I couldn't handle seeing generations of people leaving my life. It would be too emotional

• Yeah me to unless I'm not human and there were others like me I think.

• That's why I said I'd leave earth and leave everyone and everything behind as I wouldn't want to be there to watch, hear or feel everyone else suffer and die and not get so overly emotionally attached, as if I'm not already attached emotionally to some people already. Either I'd leave earth or go so far into the future that even if the people are all gone I skipped past it all never would have seen, heard, or felt how they had all die and/or suffered. After all, it all comes down to which version of immortality, but she said it is open ended. And what goals you would set and what you would want to do in such a hypothetical situation. I want to explore the entire universe and outer space for all eternity, since it's an impossible goal to begin with, same goes for attaining an ideal version of immortality.

• Immortal people can still die, just not of a natural cause.

If I were immortal and I got tired of my life I could end it.

• So you wouldn't even try to stay sane? 😕

• That's why I asked her which version of immortality? There's like a shit tons of different ones. Some aren't truly immortal. It requires maintenance and even then can die under certain circumstances. Examples are like Vampires, they might live forever provided the fact they continue to be able to maintain that immortality by drinking fresh human blood, but once they don't have that, then they're fucked. Also they aren't 100% immune to everything depending upon the lore or version, usually decapitation, sunlight, or stake through the heart and they're done for. I get that in general many people would automatically presume that immortality would mean immune to dying from ONLY causes of aging and not physical trauma, toxins or chemicals, illnesses. But that's why I even ask, which version of immortality, but she kept it open ended.

• I only know if I'm immortal

• Use your imagination!

• Ah alright!!! I'd feel great! XD
      I mean, yeah, I can't find love.. Or I'd have to find another person who answered this question and try a relationship with that person!

Also I'm an optimistic person and since you said that I don't age that means that I can do Capoeira forever, I can practise other sports, I can learn and take the time to master whatever :)
      Limitlesssssssssssss

• Still have to be careful if you don't age just like as if you were regular human being now. You should have asked more like are you completely immune from all forms of harm, like physical harm, or illnesses or diseases, etc., Wouldn't it be worse if you could suffer from any of those things and it never ever healed right and because you couldn't die at all anymore?

Oh, and uh. No dying from ONLY the effects of Aging would also meant that you still have to pay bills, taxes, etc. and you'd still have to eat, sleep, drink water, need to have shelter, etc., and all of the necessities still apply since that would meant you can still die from starving, thirst, dehydration, etc.

I'd always check and see which version of immortality someone is talking about specifically and if it's not the ideal best possible one, then I would think it really isn't worth it or all that much difference compared to being a regular mortal being, in fact that kind of Immortality then becomes HARDER.

• I have no idea. I guess I would make an never ending checklist of things to do and then set out to do it at a really slow pace.

• That list would have to be as infinite as pi. 😅

• It would have to indeed :D

• Guess you're never gonna get bored. I figured if I could never ever die, then I really wouldn't mind exploring all over the entire universe going to outer space and beyond. After all, why remain on earth any more when you could be exploring whatever is out there. Again, depending upon the version of immortality but she kept it open ended without any specifics or restrictions. I would only want immortality if there are absolutely no maintenance requirements to sustain and retain the immortality (no longer limited such as by any required necessities) and most importantly total protection over all possibilities of harm, death and destruction under pretty much all circumstances, unless and with only exceptions to the universe itself totally collapsing and ended itself. As I can't see how something can exist anymore when there isn't even an existence at all anymore and the universe is essential to being an existence.

• I'd just accept insanity or kill myself.

• I guess if the kind of immortality you had received rendered you invulnerable and impossible to kill yourself, you'd eventually lose your sanity? I thought about it myself, it would suck to watch everyone suffer and die before your eyes and hears, I figured the only real objective that makes sense is to explore the entire universe in outer space and beyond earth if immortality was ever been attainable, again depending upon which variation. I mean if you couldn't die would that no longer hold you back from exploring whatever it is out there in this entire universe? Besides you would have all the time to explore and seek out new and possibly interesting things out there since you couldn't die.

• @JudgmentDay Biology immortality means an organism cannot die of senescence which is the condition or process of deterioration with age. So yeah we would still have to eat, sleep, and drink.

• @Valkyrie1

That's what I was afraid of and wouldn't desire. That's what I meant by "maintenance" requirements. It's not all set and done, set it and forget it, not like once you have a way to live forever that's all done and you wouldn't have to still maintain and protect the body, so that is really a very limited immortality you can't just go about anywhere and not worry about clumsiness or unexpected things that could get you killed such as accidents or even being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I figured bio immortality would be like that, you "can" live forever provided the fact you can continuous pay the toll and maintain and protect your body from ever getting severely hurt and continuing providing it with nutrients for nourishment, but then that's really not much difference than how we are now, other than requiring even more lengthy amount of maintenance and hard work, whereas we normally could just retire once we're too old or can not work to support ourselves anymore.

• I would stay sane. How? It's just the type of person I am. Death is natural and it happens. If you refuse to accept reality and what has happened this will draw you to insanity. I don't have a problem accepting things.

• Death is inevitable for all mere mortal biological organic beings. It's just watching people suffer and die and seeing the agony they're going through, especially if they were close you like friends, family, significant other, loved ones, etc., and especially in this scenario if you were to never ever die, but everyone else around you still can and will die.

But you can always try and stay away as much as possible and not get overly attached if you knew that it was going to happen and that it could and would affect your own emotion in a real bad or sad way when their time is up, and it's their time to go.

• I'm not convinced that there's any correlation between immortality and insanity. So to answer your question by just being me.

• Impossible to stay sane, but what is sanity really? Is it not just how we agree one should view reality? When you are the only one left and your view of reality is absolute then you will of course be sane? Or is sanity only possible when multiple observers can agree on their separate views of reality?

In the end it seems like you should just play Dar Souls to find your answer!

• I'd be fine. I just need to always have $26 on hand.

• i 30 and can't be sane
    being immortal is like being the ultimate insane
    just living with these people is nuts
    the more you live with them the more you take off your brain

• If I got laid everyday, then I would stay sane.

I'm already insane, though. Because I don't get laid.

Hey, at least I'm truthful about it. Most people lie about their sanity.

• If that's the case you better ask if the immortality package comes with full immunity to all STDs, and venereal diseases, the last thing you would want is to live forever AND SUFFER all of the horrible effects of various STDs like AIDs with No Possibility of dying, or make sure that death is still possible regularly, just not from Aging specifically. I'd go with the first option: full immunity from all bad effects of STDs, or entirely immune to ever catching any of them in the first place. But you're still gonna need birth control, last thing you want is to knock up shit tons of girls and pay child support for all eternity or something like that. LOL

• Sanity is over rated. If no one can kill you, you can make up your own definition.

• Is that almost like the Joker's way of seeing things? Somebody did once say that in an insane world that only the insane are "truly" sane.

• @JudgmentDay The label of insanity is flexible and changes with the attitude of the public. 50 years ago psychologist labeled mentally handicapped people insane and put them in institutions. Before that they exiled them to colonies for the mad. Today, they have a different view of insanity. In 50 years, there will be a new way of looking at it again. Ultimately it comes down to what people within civilization deem abnormal. So if the masses can't execute you for being different, it doesn't really matter if you're different... There would be no way for them to govern your behavior with threat of death. That's all I'm really saying. That doesn't mean you need to go on a murderous rampage just because you can survive it. But if you act a littler fucking weird and they mob you with pitch forks, fuck emm... :D

• "OMG you'd go crazy!" Yeah, that's a shallow meme.

What Girls Said 6

• dedicate a lifetime to bettering the world cuz i'll have to live in it

• I'd hang out with Magnus Bane lol that's enough crazy for both of us :P

• I am not immortal but my mom is. Nothing stops her. She is invincible. Sometimes she is normal, but other times she freaks out, because as you said, she experienced a lot. But that doesn't stop her...
    Nothing does.

• I would travel the world and have some exciting adventures.

• @ZellRocx666 Sounded like what I wanted to do. But why stop there and just explore this planet? Why not also considered the possibilities and opportunities to explore in outer space and beyond earth, I mean if you can never die, you'd have all the time and the possibility to do it and not have to worry about returning home to earth just because your spaceship's about to run out of fuel or that you'll run out of air.

• @JudgmentDay I would definitely explore the planets if I would be able to. Sounds like an adventure.

• by drinking more wine

• I'd be fine... I would never have a pitty party! Immortality seems awesome