What are some general tips for telling how old a woman is?

I have very little experience when it comes to dating... and when I say "little," I mean "none." It's embarrassing at my age, but there's no hiding from my inexperience.

One thing that I frequently worry about in regards to approaching women in public settings, just starting a conversation even, is that I have difficulty telling how old people are at a glance. What are some general guidelines to tell the difference between, say, a twenty-year-old and a twenty-six-year-old? The former is too young; I'd think four years younger to four years older than me would be an appropriate age range (I'm 27). Or am I overthinking this? Any help would be appreciated, I worry about this a lot.

Most Helpful Guy

• Honestly it's a hard thing to answer because thanks to makeup, a girl could honestly be 15 and she could look 21. There's really no line, anymore.

I guess the only thing I can recommend is to maybe just look for more "maturity" in the face. By this I mean a slightly more "structured" look, cheekbones, jawline, that sort of thing. Really it's hard to put into words.

Though in your shoes I would personally make it easier on myself and go for a girl that's close to 30, cause I think when a girl hit's 28 she does start to abandon that "youthful" look to her face. It's not really like with men where we can look youthful even in our 30's, women usually have a shorter timespan for that sort of thing.

media.philly.com/.../30-year-old-woman-istock.jpg

Every woman is gonna look different, but I guess "something" that looks more like this woman. Youthful, but not baby-faced. Again though, very hard to put into words.

What Girls Said 2

• There is not much difference between a 21 year old and a 26 year old. A lot of factors come into play - genetics, how well she takes care of herself, makeup, etc. Depending on how it plays out the 26 can look younger than the 21 year old.

Looking at the hands, neck, and eyes would give away age differences since these areas age faster and are often ignored. But I would say these are only useful for looking at larger age differences.

You can always ask them what they've been up to or their job. An older person usually has more life/work experience.

• Questions about work, what she drives, where she sees herself in 5 years. The younger she is the more these will give away her age. Good luck!

What Guys Said 2

• I think that if you've never been on a date, and a girl between 18 and 38 who you find attractive would like to go out on date with you, go out with her.

You don't date the average 18 year old, or the average 38 year old. You date an individual. You two get along or you don't.

• Here's how you do it. Guess her age as best you can, then subtract 5-10 years. Either you're close or you're telling her that she looks young for her age. Win, win.