Should I allow my 15 year old son to wear nail polish?

I do not mean black
Thanks to everyone opinions, I think I'll allow it and let him decide on anything else, as for all the send him out with his father comments, he already works there on weekends, thanks for assuming he is completely girly when he is not.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 25

• Unless he is openly gay then it is a bad idea for him to wear it. We can talk about equality all we want, but the truth is that any straight guy that doesn't act like a "real man" gets bullied and treated like shit. At best people will talk shit about him behind his back. Most women don't want guys that act or dress like women, so if he is straight his options in who he dates is restricted to nearly no one.

Women don't understand how much more men are locked into our gender roles than women are locked into theirs. That is why you have men saying no, and women saying yes. That is just how our society is when it comes to the male gender role.

I would warn him about how people might bully him, then let him make his decision. If he complains about people bullying him over the way he dresses and acts, then I would tell him to shut the hell up. He made the choice knowing what could happen, and he needs to deal with the consequences.

People have to learn to deal with the judgements of others. Otherwise they don't get to enjoy the privilege of being different. We are all held to social norms in one way or another. Stepping outside those norms always has, and always will create problems for that person. If they want to change social norms, then they need to be strong enough to handle any backlash they may receive.

• Why would he even want to do that? He will just get beat up in school and no you should not let him do it

• noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• that's cause ur an idiot

• no I understand what your saying, but your contradicting yourself (saying one then and then the opposite) sorry, but your an idiot, and studying won't help you.

• like I said there just feelings

• I wouldn't It sounds messed up to me.

• Messed up? It's just nail polish.

• No it's just nail polish when it's on a girl's fingernails. But it's no longer just nail polish when a boy signal wants to put it on his own nails it's then a bad signal.

• No it's just nail polish when it's on a girl's fingernails. But it's no longer just nail polish when a boy wants to put it on his own nails then it's then a bad signal.

• No you should not.

• As a straight, self-secure male nearing his forties... I say yes. I wear earrings in both ears, and it doesn't bother me in the least. No one does a double take. Why not let him paint his nails? Come to think of it, I might start looking at painting my nails, too.

The only trouble is the upkeep. You know what I'm talking about, and he may get bored of it. lol

• haha, yea let them be them, at the end of the day bullies exist ether way, and by the sounds of it upkeep will be big for this teenager, but at the end of the day he'll ether grow out of it or do it once he leaves home and learn to tell people to f**k off and get a life of there own. They mock us cause we are different little do they know we mock them because they are all the same. Heck he could be doing a lot worse like drugs. At the end of the day who gives a f**k,

• I suggest you watch the movie valentine road.

• is that the movie about the idiot who shoot dead a classmate because he thought the kid had a crush on him? if so the kid who did it is so stupid

• Oh not that girly? So what do you call it wearing colorful nail polish?

• not as girly as wearing heels, make up and being a boy who was clearly transgender. I'm not saying its traditional, but he isn't that bad. but I do not care what you think of my son, you have the idea in your head and I can't change it, plus he has a girlfriend, not that I would care if he was gay, nether would his father and he knows that.

• Of course you should, I do however think it's kind of silly of people to assume that he'd be a homosexual for wanting to wear nail polish. You can even have a stereotypical "gay" personality and still be more straight than the jocks. Some women like makeup, some men like makeup, some women don't like makeup, some men don't like makeup it has nothing to do with sexuality. Anyway some might argue that it may get him bullied. But I think for most people being yourself is more important than being bullied also, he must have one heck of a self confidence to defy a social norm like that. Actually it might even make him feel worse than being bullied due to feeling like he's being supressed and forced to not express himself. Sorry, I'm just rambling on. TL;DR: Yes, yes you should.

• I think it's weird but if he wants to wear nail polish then I think you should let him. It's not like he's hurting himself or anyone else by wearing nail polish

• Yes. Let him embrace himself fully.

• If u want to allow him to be him, then do it. Tho I suggest that you watch the movie valentine road & remember that whatever happens to him after; both the good & the bad, will be ur fault. Bad parenting has been the driving force of many suicides in the USA...

• I would warn him before hand that if he dose he is practically inviting bullies to torment him. but if he really wants to let him

• i think you should make him aware of what goes along with guys wearing nail polish. like what people will think and so on. but you should let him decide after educating him.

• no, you shouldn't.

• You seem to despise equal rights. Are you a sexist or a racist?

• i don't. but there's nothing wrong with sexism and racism.

• wow your one of those no I'm not like that but there's nothing wrong with it people, if you truly weren't like it you would see why it was wrong

• Nope nope nope. Proper dress code and style can help in all areas of life. For instance, I have the "right" to wear a dress to a job interview, or walk down the sidewalk with a traffic cone on my head, but is it advisable? Definitely not.

• actually the traffic cone thing, you do not have the right to do

• Yep you should let him :) heaps of guys do it these days!

• Really? I've never seen it before

• I can honestly say I have only ever seen black on guys, but I mean, I have to think about this now.

• I have seen heaps of different colors but I think you should let him. Its only nail polish if other people have a problem its their problem. Let your son be himself :)

• Let him be a girly man if he wants to be.

• He'll be wearing your underwear and heels in like 2 years lol

• No, does he have father figure?

• yes, why do you ask? (I'm assuming you mean does he have his father around) his father is a construction worker

• Is it dangerous or harmful to him?

• No. bad idea

• well not in public.

• the point kinda is in public, if it wasn't in public why would I even ask?

• okay then how would you feel if come to you and say that his friends in school tease him for that... its kinda weird and stupid totally. my point is.. no you shouldn't.

• You are evil.

• Yeah if he/she wants just do it no mater of gender, we are just humans.

I saw many pictures in The Humans of new york (is a photoblog and bestselling book featuring street portraits and interviews collected in New York City) and all people are different (no shit sherlock) check it out it's really interesting site.

• Some guys like the whole "emo" look, where they paint their nails black. That's OK but other than that, no, leave it to women

What Girls Said 16

• Yes, you should. If you really don't want to allow him that, then compromise on something else. Give him some freedom, otherwise you will end up being an overbearing parent and trust me, you wouldn't want that.

• Just let him, who cares. It's probably a stupid phase.

• Yes, if he wants to.

• He is his own man, let him do what he wants. It's probably just a phase of some sort. And if it isn't, support him any how.

• You should let him :)

• Yes you should. A few weeks ago I tried to convince guys of my class to let me put nail polish on their nails. Only one agreed and just for two fingers. All the others were like : "don't even approach me, I ain't no woman." All I could answer was : Is it really that bad to be a woman that you don't even want to have anything in common with us?
    It's fine your son wants to wear nail polish, he is being fun and don't take himself and his gender too seriously. Great kid !

• "Is it really that bad to be a woman that you don't even want to have anything in common with us?" That isn't what is going on all all. There is nothing wrong with being a woman if you are a woman. Men however are constantly shamed for failure of being a "real man". Any behavior outside of what is acceptable for a real man is seen as something to be ashamed of if the person doing it is a man. Hence the common uses of terms such as "man up", "real man", and "take it like a man" are still commonly used, and always reinforce the idea that if we step outside of what society says is okay for our gender, then we have failed as men.

It is similar to how women that wanted to wear pants, were mistreated in society. It isn't that anything was wrong with being a man, but rather that the both genders were stuck in gender roles. Today men are still stuck in our gender roles, as feminism has mostly been focused on helping women out of their roles.

• That's why I think it's a good thing for that kid to wear nail polish. So that the lines between our genders get blurrier (while still acknowledging the beautiful differences that exist among men and women). Everyone should be allowed to do anything as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

• Yes, why not?

• isn't it weird?

• @colt_nz You can attract bullies by doing literally nothing. So I don't think you should prevent your kid from doing something he likes just because it may attract bullies.

• that was me in high school, I'm not gonna lie I don't know the kid so I can't comment really, he might already be dealing with bullies and thus can handle himself

• Let him do what he wants. doesn't hurt anything

• Sure, let him do it. Have you asked him if he is gay or bisexual? That could be a possibility.

• Why not? Its not damaging to his health and its not like you are forcing it on him, he wants it.

• Why not, if it makes him happy

• Of course you should. If you don't then you are a shitty human being, who should never have been allowed to have children.

• No, you shouldn't. Like everyone is saying, it could probably be just a phase, but that's exactly why you shouldn't allow it. When kids are young, they can get into all kids of things that is not necessarily good for them even if that's not who they are and it could stick with them. Plus, this isn't really a necessity and it could only cause problems for him. If it's not just a phase, he can make that decision when he is a mature adult.

• I mean realistically how many people do we keep talking to after high school? it could also have a negative effect of even my parents don't accept it so he keeps himself locked away in himself for the rest of his life, I mean I just don't know

• It's honestly not a big deal if you don't allow him to. It's the same as my mom not allowing me to wear makeup till around 16 years old. Whether his nails are painted or not will not define him as a person, and that's exactly what you should tell him; that he is more than that and there are more important things to worry about at his age.

• @takada Yes, but we all know people bully whether we like it or not.

• I've actually seen plenty of guys paint their nails. The other day I was on the train and this guy roughly 20-25 had his nails painted each a different colour. If you're concerned about bullying, let him try it one day and see the result and then decide if you should allow it whenever

• I wouldn't but that's just me.

• Yes :) let them be who they are