Girls, Tall, 'dark', and handsome? Why dark?

So we all know the saying tall, dark and handsome to describe a stereotypical attractive guy. I understand the tall and handsome part, but does dark really matter. It seems like girls will like guys who are pale white to blacker than black, it really doesn't seem to matter. I know lots of girls who like pale white guys, the dark part just doesn't seem true to me.

• It is true, dark guys are much more attractive
    38% (18)
  • No, pale guys can be just as attractive, it isn't true
    43% (20)
  • Other?
    19% (9)
And you are? I'm a GirlGuys can not vote on this poll

27

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's not really true. I'll agree with the tall and handsome. Because most girls want a guy who is taller than them and everyone wants someone at least some what attractive but as far as dark goes, I don't think it's referring to like a non white guy or anything. It's just more of a tanned thing. But pale guys are fine too. In my experience though with me and a lot of my friends the stereotypical guys who are attractive are foreign guys (typically a tanner skin tone than some), country boys (ya know, got that farmers tan going on), as well as guys who don't fit into stereotypical categories. But i think the saying has stuck because it seems to have a ring to it.

What Girls Said 26

• When they say "dark", they don't necessarily mean dark skinned. Traditionally it means dark features, like hair and eyes. At least that was what I was taught.

• I don't believe it has anything to do with race. I was always under the impression that it meant dark features like dark hair, dark eyes, etc. It's an ideal that stemmed from movies and such.

Guys of all heights with all hair/eye colours and skin colours can be attractive though. At least I think so.

• I prefer brown hair with brown or green eyes and white. I'm not so much into people my skin tone (tanned), Oh and they have to be tall like 6'2

• A lot of girls like guys who are naturally tan or have olive skin tone

i0.wp.com/.../Winter-man.png?resize=218%2C328

www.faceframestudio.com/.../...ray-tan-225x390.jpg

• It's usually about hair. But I don't fin pale skin attractive. I like tanned skin. I think th majority of women like men with darker shades of hair and some shade/pigment of skin.

• When people say "Dark", they aren't necessarily referring to race. It's more referring to the person's features and sometimes to their personality in a way.

• I think they mean dark hair. Dark hair, tall, handsome, confident. That was the typical male lead in movies.

• Ok think they're both equally attractive. When they say tall dark, Eric the dark means mysterious not necessarily color

• It has nothing to do with race it's the hair color.

• It's just a phrase. There's no secret meaning behind it.

• I don't know. I'm blonde and I'm not really attracted to blonde men at all. It could be because my dad is a dark Sicilian.

• I always thought the 'dark' part was about hair color. Since a lot of women prefer dark hair over light.

• I always thought the dark referred to hair, but that's just me.

• Darkness is associated with masculinity in the West and fairness femininity.

• I don't really care if a guy is 'dark' or not.

• Both can be attractive. Skin color doesn't really matter.

• Okay, let's not get into the race part. To me, tan guys are hotter than pale guys. It just implies you've been out in the sun doing exercise.

• They're equally attractive

• When they say dark they mean dark features, not (necessarly ) dark skinn

• I dont think its race related. i think it means a guy who's mysterious with perhaps dark hair.

• I like yellow guys

• Its not talking about race.. Some girls just like more of a bad boy, the ones that wear black leather and ripped jeans. That kind of black.. Not any kind or racial preference.

• dark = mysterious, so it doesn't matter what shade or tan you are born with

• I don't think they're referencing a mysterious personality when they say dark in this saying though.

• mysterious as in personality, you don't know much about them but intrigued with finding out which make the guy more attractive, and you hope it really sexy personality

• The "dark" was referring to the guy having dark hair, dark eyes etc.

• I don't care much about skin color.

• I would say I have a weak preference for dark hair dark eyes tanned skin... that is, most guys I am attracted to have darker features but not all. So I picked B.

• What about guys with dark hair, and brown eyes, but pale skin?

• Yes I often find them attractive too - first guy I ever had a crush on looked like that -and quite a few after him.
      For me it is really just a mild preference but not one that really matters all that much.