Wtf does EMO mean?

OK I know you guys probably think I'm nuts but I see this weird a$$ word everywhere so what the hell does it men? Example: I have this friend and she is the emo type? WTF? Like does it mean emotional or something? or is it a new word for bi sexual? someone please answer because this little word is driving me freaking crazy!

OK I GET IT NOW!

Most Helpful Girl

• Ok whoever thinks 'emo' is short for emotional... WRONG!

Emo is basically a derivative of the punk music. We're talking types of music people!

People that are classified as emo;

-wear tight pants

-wear tight shirts

-have black hair, possible with colorful hair, and a long fringe that hangs in the eyes

-dress either all in black, or black with bright colors

-cut their wrists

-listen to whiny music, or hardcore metal music

Considering I fit half this description, I have never been classified as emo. I think this description is people just expressing themselves. Black is a base color in art, used to create shades of meaning in a painting. Black is the night, mysterious and, face it, black makes curves look hot. Tight clothes, a lot of people find comfortable. Long hair in the eyes, that's the style today!

Emo is a stupid high school stereotype. I think the term that people should use (although long) is 'person that expresses themselves through their looks'

There's my 2 cents worth =)

What Guys Said 9

• It's a revival genre of post-hardcore born out of 80's hardcore punk.

Timeline:

1979: Birth of hardcore punk.

1981-1985: Peak of hardcore punk.

1986: Hardcore punk bands dissolve and reform as crossover, crust, post-hardcore and early grindcore bands.

1986-1994: Post hardcore bands begin playing a more melodic sound, with lyrics focused on introspection rather than aggression. This is later dubbed emotional hardcore.

1994-2000: Post hardcore bands adopt indie rock melody, pop-punk tempos and give it a darker sound. Emotional hardcore spreads through out the underground post-hardcore movement. Emotional hardcore starts starts gaining popularity

2000-Present: Emotional hardcore bands breakthrough to the mainstream. The mainstream music community takes the most extreme aspects of it and grossly inflates them to into an monstrosity. Bands cash in and sell out. The "emo" fad is born.

• I like stuff that's considered emo but I don't cut. emo is a lifestyle not a genre of music

• Emotional hardcore is a genre of music, however poorly named and misconstrued it may be. If you think it is a lifestyle, then that's just you making sh*t up.

• Well, it implies a person is overly emotional. Like the people who cut themselves when they're depressed, that's a stereotypically "emo" thing. When used in that context, it is ALWAYS bad. However, it is also used to describe style trend popular among teens right now.

• Its short for, either emotional, emotional rocker or emotional hardcore, its used for all of these, either way its just music you put emotion into, so I guess there is actually a ton more 'emo' music than anyone thinks.

• This guy, right here. EMO!!!

• I listen to scandanavian death metal, as for the hair comments, I've shaved it off to join the navy, and my cothes vary, they don't all look like my photos. Lamb of god, watered down? no way, they are bringing something new to metal. I agree that slipknot are for metalhead wannabes, bodom can be hit and miss with their songs, but no ones perfect....

• He has the Emo look but doesn't mean that he is, perhaps you change the hair style man hehe I love metalheads! am one myself. I hate emos though!!

• Think watered down goth. Mainly lots of kins trying to be unique by all dressing the same and listening to the same music. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, maybe I'm getting old :o)

• Its a Style in a way.

Cheerleaders

Football Players

Nerds

Emo's

Emo is like a new way of expressing you like things dark, you like chains, you like to party, you like to hang out, chill, and do your hair in flat straightened styles

• Emotional. Kinda like all emotions in one I think. I think of it as more feminine/sensitive.

• Emo is short for Emotional. Dumb either way.

• Lol ah yes emo. I'm pretty sure it's short for emotional. Basically an over emotional person who gets depressed a lot, cries about everything, thinks their life sucks, cuts themselves (not necessarily), etc etc etc. My opinion of it is a bunch of fourteen year old boys with lame haircuts and not quite enough testosterone who hate their lives because their parents gave them a curfew. Also emo can be a style, though that's more called scene than emo.

• Think peter parker in spiderman 3.

What Girls Said 11

• Contrary to what people think, it actually once stood for emotive hardcore. In short, emo is a type of music. There are many interpretations of what emo music actually is, now it's basically most of that pop-punk stuff that's considered emo. But now it's more of a style, like a way of dressing. It's on yourscenesucks.com, haha I love that website. Some people also use it to mean emotional, like "she is acting so emo" if they're acting depressed. But what they were saying about your friend was probably referring to her style.It's not a new word for bisexual.

• This is the correct answer. "Emotive hardcore" was a name for a subgenre derived from punk rock bands in the 1980s and 90s. The term "emo" was then used to describe some rock bands in the late 90s and was co-opted by MTV pop acts in the 00s. Since it's a slang word, it's imprecisely and inconsistently defined and now appears to be used mainly to describe guys who wear eyeliner and girls who cut themselves in high school.

• . I don't hate it or like it. it's just out there and in two years, there will be another fanatic type of trend. emo means emotional. I like laughing at people who try too hard and they grow their hair all weird and dye it black and act useless and whiine and complain-they should be sent to Africa to do some charity work and help the poor and that will probably stop their whining and complaining. I just think it's a style and a sociological niche for today's teenagers.

• Emo = Emotional

But what it's turned into for guys is an excuse for boys to dress like girls and for everyone to cut them self and make them feel less pathetic about them selves even though it's exactly what they are

• No Emo is not basicly GOTH , goths will kick the sh*t out of emos darling!! cause emos are the ones who who f***ed it up for goths and metal heads!!!!

emo is just a new stereotype, Goth on the other hand goes way waaaay back!

read about Goth scene, it has nothing to do with being an emo.

goths are embracers of beauty of the world.

Not buhu I want my mommy and I wanna die emo posers!

• Sorry wanted to commnt and the one below you! lol my bad!

• Ok thanks for clearing that up, I never thought Goth was like emo and I really didn't know why you were freaking lol.

• Emo is a misused and misunderstood word

it means basically whatever you want it to mean and varies person to person

to me, its a style and a type of music. its not a bad thing. I embrace it when people call me emo and not offended.

• well people are always calling me me scene(which I don't understand) and emo and last time I checked I don't want to kill myself. but if it means bisexual, then it is appropriate lol. technically everyone is emo. unless they only show one emotion

• i know right lol

• it mean really an emotional person. it is not a new word for bisexual people

• emotionely unstabel

• Basically, most "emos" are attention seeking losers.

They have nothing real to be depressed about compared to people with real problems who get on with their life normally. Example...

emo kid: Shit my lace is untied

*goes into corner and slits wrists*

They are known for cutting themselves, having black hair and listening to bands like My Chemical Romance.

And they are pretty stupid when you think about it. Depression is a kind of illness not a "fad" or a "style". They just take serious things in life and make them stupid and out of control which makes people forget about the seriousness of depression.

• ITS NOT MUSIC.

Its a style. Your deep.. Sad..Emotional... And stuff..

and you usually dress in black red.. Its basically Goth... But yeah

And yes there is music that people call 'emo' its music emos listen to.

like scream

or

it actually stands for EMOTIONALLY DEPRESSED and your into emo music like my chemical romance and have dark thoughts, sometimes wish you were dead and basically depressed

or

it basically means emotional

but its also a style too

you don't have to be like I cut myself or I hate the world or I should just die to be emo

you can be emo and be the happiest person alive

if you hang with people who are considered emo they probably have black hair styled to one side that covers their eye

it can even be a different color then black just as long as the bangs and swept to the side

and they probably have lip piercing or nose piercing

and wear black eyeliner or black nail polish

skinny jeans

• Yo you never said what type of emo

• Well sorry people if I'm an emo and BTW we ain't posers we see the world as it is not all fake ass as you people put it so before you get judgmental please try be emo of a day and see our point of view

• means emotional!