Why dont girls wear a belt with jeans anymore?

What's the point of belt loops and selling Jean belts?

Bump
Few more answers

Most Helpful Girl

• The jeans are so tight, a belt almost isn't necessary.

The only people I know that wear belts are people with large enough butts that they have to buy pants a size or two larger to fit themselves inside of it, and they need the belt to keep their waistband from sliding down to reveal their butt crack.

• You sayin I got a big butt, AND I'm modest. :3 yassssssss

• Thanks for Most Helpful!!

And in response to that picture, the girl is just wearing it as a fashion statement. The belt isn't doing anything useful, just looking pretty like a scarf when it's not cold outside.

• Your welcome!

Hey, it still looks nice, I appreciate how it looks on her πŸ˜‰

Most Helpful Guy

• I like belts but you are right you don't see them as much anymore - I presume the base design has the belt loops and is one of the things they never change - Why I don't know for sure - I suppose people buying might go "Well one day I might wear a belt so I better not get a pair without loops",

Sponsored

What Girls Said 53

• i wear thin belts with my jeans

• Because they're so tight now that it's just not necessary...

• Do you only wear skinny jeans, because there are other styles and not all are very tight.

• I wear bootcut jeans more than skinny jeans, but they're all tight up... they may be loose on the bottom, but that's it.
      Loose, wide leg pants are cute, but they'd make me look like a dwarf. Too short for them.

• The style for women's jeans is pretty skinny-jean centric right now. Even flared and straight cuts (different styles of jeans, not skinny jeans) cling to the butt and thigh area, so belts are unnecessary.

I'm sure you could find women that wear belts with khakis or looser pants if they wear them for work or even casual wear, though. It's just not as common anymore, because the most popular style of pants doesn't require them.

• Then why put belt loops and sell belts for them? Clearly enough girls have to buy them for companies to make profit. And what about the fact belts look good with jeans as a style?
      Back in the 90s and early 2000's there were hip hugging jeans and not loose fit, and girls always seemed to wear belts. They still have both skinny and boyfriend jeans and both still can be worn with belts.

Not to mention, overly skinny jeans can cause health risks so this might not be a good fashion trend afterall

• I have a sister and where she shops (American eagle) is geared for teens and young adults or mid adult (30-40), not older moms jeans, and they all have belt loops and sell belts. Let me tell you I think the style looks great on girls even women my age in there 30s and I still see belts worn by them just not as often as it used to be.

• Absolutely! I mean, my mom's pretty young (43) so it's not like she's wearing 'mom jeans'. She usually wears skinny, straight, or slightly flared jeans, all of which I'd wear myself lol. I can't pretend to be all knowing as to why women don't wear belts as often as they used to, just made a few guesses based on personal experience! :)

• I think they went out of fashion with tucking in shirts. Most people now don't tuck in shirts so a belt isn't even seen. If I tucked, I'd wear one.

• Half tucks are pretty popular, and not all shirts reach below the belt area, especially in Warmer weather. I see belts worn but not as much, I thought it looked good with a belt, and when a belt is worn with wonens jeabs the crotch area is less saggy and straighter.

• I always wear a belt as long as my jeans or pants have belt loops. It's not about holding them up, otherwise I wouldn't wear one. It looks better, and I think a big belt really makes a statement. Plus, I like the tight feeling on my waist!

• It does make a statement in looks, and the snug feeling you describe is comfortable.

• i do, almost every single damn time -.-
    i have no other choice.

• Don't complain I would like seeing it if I knew you πŸ™‚

• I always have to wear a belt with any pants including jeans. The waists are always too big and I'm not fat enough to fit into them properly :(

• Don't feel bad my sister is the same way, I am too! We own a few different belts because we both use them often.

• I don't wear a belt because I actually buy jeans that fit me. Using belts as an accessory wouldn't work for me either, because I usually wear shirts and sweaters that are so long that they would cover the belt anyway. Plus, if you wear something tighter and it goes over the belt part, it looks hella weird when it sticks out.

• I'm a fan of belts! I wear belts almost daily, whether with skirts or jeans. Jeans always look smarter with a belt if the shirt is tucked in :-)

• its just not fashionable I suppose, kind of wishing it was as it would mean I wouldn't have to keep pulling my skinny jeans up so many times x

• I think you should wear one, you shouldn't have to pull them up. I think it looks good with jeans and it's fashionable. Don't care what others think do what makes you happy. I actually know many girls who wear belts, so to hear girls don't wear them seems odd to me I'm used to seeing them all the time and I wear them always.

• I normally wear belt with my jeans but I have some jeans that are so wedged on , its easy to get away with not wearing a belt.

• Because I said so.

• Good question. It's not a trend no more. But I also think it depends on the outfit, style and the the belt itself. I still wear classic belts on high waisted pants. It defines the small waist shape.

• I was talking with any jeans, or pants. Sure, not every pair of jeans should need a belt to hold them up, but belts really do improve the look of your jeans.

• Yes exactly! And this works for my hourglass shape, so when I want to create the illusion of longer legs I do that, if it makes any sense. and if I want to focus more on my upper body, like chest and abs I wear solid color mini tight dress with a mini thin patterned belt under the chest. I like to manipulate how things work with clothes. I've been doing it for so long that it's very intuitive for me now :)

• I know, I have long legs and so I have to put focus on my upper body, but I can't put a belt anywhere than in my pants being a guy so I usually wear untucked shirts. My sister does what you do and it works.

• Because most of the time we buy pants that "fit" or are tight so there's no need for one. I just bough some jeans not too long ago but the waist is a little to big so I definatelty have to wear a belt with them

• Jeans look weird without loops. I tend to only wear a belt when I'm tucking a shirt into my jeans or my jeans are feeling loose.

• I do.
    Nothing ever fits me right.

• I still wear belts.

• I wear one

• Very Uncomfortable. I buy tight jeans and they are tight enough around my waist that i dont need a belt. More comfy than a hard belt. Ill usually wear a belt if it looks good with my outfit and that like 10% of the time. I guess they still have belt loops on jeans because some people might want to wear a belt and others dont..

• I wear belts. Otherwise I'd be pulling up my jeans every 5 minutes.

• Do you wear skinny jeans?

• I love your style! 😎❀️

• Thanks :)

• unless you're a working girl like me working on a ranch you never see them cause girls like their panties showing they think its hot but its not

• Where do you live where they like panties showing? πŸ˜› I like girls on ranches and farms because they wear jeans I like that look on girls , but I've seen plenty of girls wearing belts like that, more than where I live in the city. I guess you wear belts than?

• I was agreeing with you

• They do, they probably just hide it. I still do and depending on the shirt/belt it can be more/less obvious.

• That's a good point. This was also based on what I read online or from word of mouth. I like the look of belted jeans so I wish they wouldn't hide it

• Hmm, I actually haven't worn a belt with jeans in a long time. I wear the super skinny leg ones, so I don't need to. I do wear belts sometimes, but not with these jeans. I guess if they were a bit more loose, then I would wear them again.

• What jeans need the belt worn with them?

• I guess something that is more loose? My jeans are tight enough that they don't move, so I don't need to wear it. I mean, if someone really liked the aesthetic of a belt + jeans, they can totally wear it at any time.

• I wear a belt all the time. My pants usually need one. Now it's hotter, so, I'll be wearing dresses and shorts, which are so tight, no one usually needs a belt.

• I wear that literally every day._.

• I hate belts. My pants are usually looser around the waist, but I'd rather just keep pulling them up than wear belts because I hate belts.

• You only wear belts if your pants will sag otherwise. Most girls put some effort in finding pants that fit well. Belts are not very comfortable and a lot of girls wear their shirts over their pants anyways, so there's no special accessory effect to it.

• My sister wears skinny jeans and jegging jeans all the time, they slide a little and it's hard to find a perfect fit. Ever heard the term "skinny jean slide"?, it's very common as its not always easy to find the perfect fit. So she wears a belt to hold in place, the jeans are tight everywhere but her waist is in between sizes. Plus she has little kids to chase and bending over you don't want anyone to see underwear, that goes for any girl! If you have to pull them up even a little you should have a belt. Plus there are different sized belts, they don't have to be huge and bulky. My sister wears a plain belt 1 inch wide and she never finds its a pain, even a belt 1 1/2 inches wide.
      You can tell if a girl has a belt as the crotch area won't have as much sag, my sister told me that. Many girls do half tucks with shirts or shirts reach barely below waist so just enough to show off a nice belt. Belts really look nice on girls, that's coming from me a guy. πŸ™‚

• I only wear a belt if my jeans is a little older and it got stretched out a bit. My hips are pretty round, so my jeans do stay in place since they rest on my hips.
      But people should do whatever they want. I don't think belts are accessories that must be shown, but every person for their own.

• I understand

• I wore that on Friday for work. Khaki coloured jeans, black belt, black tshirt and a khaki coloured coat

• For work, what about casually?

• Yes, many girls here only wear a belt for work, but if you wore is casually it shows some girls still wear belts for all ocassions πŸ™‚

• I see what you mean. I only wore it for fashionable purposes. My pants all fit me well, but I like wearing a belt to be more fashionable. Whether that would be around my hips or around my waist

• I have no idea, I still wear them. They're great accessories!

• My jeans just fit, so I don't need to. I only wear a belt if my pants are too big, and since my weight fluctuates I keep one handy.
    Them being too big is not the problem at the moment so my belt is a little dusty :p
    If you are a steady size and buy pants that fit there is no need. Guys usually wear looser fit pants, so they need them. Women usually wear more form fitting pants so they aren't needed.

• More from Girls
    23

2 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 11

• They went out of style about a decade ago. I certainly do miss 2006 and the "scene" scene opposed to this hipster crap that passes for fashion now.

• It's just seen as more of a masculine style in my opinion. Plus, let's be real, many girls get jeans tight enough to showcase their lovely ass, no belts are needed.

• Back in the 90s and early 2000's belts were in and it had nothing to do with Jean fit for women

• I wonder where these chicks are getting pants that fit them perfectly like that, lol. When I buy jeans that actually fit me around the waist (US 8) they are way too short! I have to buy plus sized haha.

• @musicbrain5 ha ha your right about that! Mabye they squeeze so tight into a pair that cuts off leg circulation, because rarely do jeans fit perfectly.

• girls have bigger hips and the proportion between the waist and the hips allows the pants to stay in it's place without needing a belt !

• Is it so? I don't know.

• They all wear belts where i'm from - just as a fashion accessory rather than actually holding the jeans up, since they're tight enough anyway.

• The logic is the same here, but too many yoga pants fad, they remind me of pajamas! Go back to wearing jeans ladies πŸ™‚

• I dunno, looks maybe? I always wear a belt. Pants are always on the loose side around the waist :P

• Who tf likes belts?

• you missed the thick white belt trend... lucky.

• Jeans without belt loops are weird.

• I always get jeans that fit me, i never wear belts.

• Your powers of observation are much, much better than mine.

I never notice if girls are wearing belts or not. If the majority of the population ever did wear belts than it skipped my attention

• I check out women's bodies, so it's kinda obvious...

• I do it too, and it's not obvious to me