Do you have to be thin to model?

I really want to try to model I'm 5'6 and ( not done growing ) suppose to be 5'10 or 5'11. I'm Young and I have the " look " to model? I'm not gonna describe myself cause that take to long . But I think I'm pretty but I'm not thin ? I am pretty tall so you wouldn't be able to tell what size I am , I'm size 7. Anyways there's this modeling Co. Coming to my town and you doont have to have pictures justt come with youreself. But then my sister called me fat -_- And told me they would never pick me she said they would pick people like ______ or _______ or with muscle and thin. And they said they would never pick me so Do you think I have a shot or do you think I should save my embarresment ?

• Yes give it a shot!! You never know?
  • No, Don't even try .
I went And I got a couple jobs!:)! I got a couple jobs for the local magazines in our county . Maybe I'm naive But maybe I can work up from here :)!

Most Helpful Girl

• Im around 5'6 too..and yes...i believe for a run way fashion model...you have to be skinny...or slender...not exactly anorexic...but like a size 2-4...or even a 0...depends...

Now...if you want to do catalog modeling...you can look anysize or if you want to be a plus size model...you can look from a size 6-1000...it doesn't matter much...

But eh,give it a shot...you never know...if you look good...you can make it.

What Guys Said 4

• Give it a shot, why not, but generally you have to be tall more than anything. I mean, you can't be like obese, but that goes without saying. If you are slightly heavy set I don't see that being a big problem. Unless you are trying to model for like under armor or something haha

• Right now I'm about to hit 5'7 I'm 13 and not done growing. I have a wide waist but Its not full of fat if that makes sence ha ha :P

• There's no reason not to go. You could talk to them about your expected height gains, and see what they say.

For non 'plus sized' they are looking for thin, without question.

They like tall runway models because they seem even thinner, which means the designers can put them in any sort of insane garbage they like and they still seem thin.

• Well, to be like a fashion model, you do basically have to be quite tall, long, and thin. If you're short and a little thick, you're not going to be a runway-type model.

• No. I knew 2 people brother and sister that modeled in high school that were not even all that attractive (they always tried to get me to model but that's not my thing). The guy was in good shape, but had a messed up face. He never could even get a girlfriend, but was able to do underwear molding. The girl was average looking but had clean skin and a cute smile. She did teen clothing modeling. The very thin anorexic girls are usually the runway girls, that go after high fashion and most fall hard and never make it. Most models are average looking people modeling average clothes that most people wear. Looking in news paper flyers for things like K-MART, JC Penney's, etc. Do those girls look like cover girls? Not a chance...

• @update: Good luck, have fun following your dream! =)

What Girls Said 10

• Do you have to be thin to model!? No there are plus sized models

Do you think I have a shot or do you think I should save my embarresment ? You have a shot if they have a plus size model section

• if you really want to do it then go for it! you can't be a runway model but I think you could have a shot at doing magazine modeling! :)

• Have ya heard of plus-sized models? I think if it's something you want to do then go for it! But if you keep going back and forth and doubting it, then maybe ya shouldn't until you are ready.

• you probably won't do well with fashion modelling,but there are different types of modelling,like bikini models are usually shorter,like you,and photo models are usually allowed to be chubbier than fashion models.

• Catalog modeling? Sure, go for it, although they do prefer thin

Runway/high end? Yes you have to be thin & they prefer the girls around 5'8/5'9. Too tall is a negative & too short is a negative

• No, there are models of all sizes. It just depends on the kind of modeling that you do.

• I am not fat but I'm just quite big in general, and this kind of puts me in the middle, I'm no way plus size but I'm not super skinny either.

I got told once by an Agency I was too big and this knocked me back not to try again, but its worth a go :)

• I do a bit of modelling and you have to be pretty skinny for some companys I went as a size 8 and they told me I still have to lose weight, harsh words so if you do go. Wear thick skin :)

• give it a god. there are more types of modelling than just runway anyway.

• Size 7 isn't fat hun. If you're pretty and your bubbly, you can be a model. Go for it! (And by the way, your sister's jealous.)