Are sweatpants OK to wear on a first date?

My sister says no, but I won't change my style just because my sister thinks it's disrespectful to wear sweatpants on a date. What do you think?

don't know what's wrong with wearing sweatpants. I am not a pretty girl and I won't dress up. what's the problem? wearing a clean pair of sweatpants = not sloppy at all...
HAHAHA look what I found: link

"U.S. company unveils a sweatpant disguised as a dress pant... Gentlemen, you probably wouldn’t wear them to the office or on a first date — but what if your beloved sweatpants were disguised as dress pants?"

HAHA these "dress sweatpants" look like sh*t.

Most Helpful Girl

• It looks sloppy like you don't care. I would think a guy is a slob and didn't care. I wouldn't be impressed, I'd be turned off like "really, this is the best you can do?" If you expect the girl you're dating to look nice then show the same respect. it's not changing your style, its not looking bummy

What Girls Said 15

• unless your date is going jogging, sweatpants are a no no.

the only time sweatpants are okay is in a long term relationship and even then its thin ice

• oh come on, don't be so harsh and shallow. girls who don't want guys to wear sweatpants on a date are very shallow. wearing sweatpants doesn't give a good impression? it shows the guy is confident/doesn't care what other people think/is laid back. black sweatpants can look very nice with a nice shirt in my opinion. a clean pair of sweatpants combined with expensive shoes and a nice shirt = not sloppy at all.

• sweatpants say that the guy doesn't care about the date thus about the girl. it has nothing to do with how he looks in it

• Dress comfy but put some pants on at least for the first date. I'd have no problem with a guy I'm dating to wear sweatpants honestly but the first date its a turn off. It just gives off the impression that he doesn't care about impressing me.

• so it turns you on if a guy feels the need to impress you? if I were a girl, I would think he's desperate and pathetic.

• No, its definitely not desperate. It shows that he actually gives a f*** about me and my feelings.

• I agree with your sister. I understand that you don't feel like changing your style for someone else but at the same time, it is good manners to show respect to the other person - especially if you like them enough to go on a date. She or he will most likely have put in some effort into how they look and dress for the occasion and it is respectful to give the other person the same courtesy.

• Are you taking her to the gym for a first date or something? If not I definitely wouldn't be impressed if a guy wore sweatpants on a date. That's a nono, you should care about making a good impression on her and not looking lazy / you just rolled out of bed.

Just because you wear track pants all the time doesn't make you look "confident" but like your trying to cover-up yourself.

Track pants are fine when your going to bed, working out or just relaxing around the house.. that's it imo.

• it doesn't make me LOOK confident. it is proof I am confident. shy and insecure people dress up to cover up their insecurities. they wouldn't dare to wear sweatpants in public. black sweatpants can look very nice with a nice shirt in my opinion. who says jeans are more classy?

• "Shy and insecure people dress up to cover up their insecurities. they wouldn't dare to wear sweatpants in public" - not necessarily.. If you feel good about yourself you would want people to notice (dressing nice/put-together). In *my opinion walking around looking frumpy all the time doesn't mean someones confident, and yes I would consider jeans to be more classier than sweats.

• Do not wear sweatpants and the dress pants//sweat pants thing it's amusing but a girl will like a man with jeans better

• I say it doesn't give a good first impression, I'm casual so I'll wear jeans on a date, but I wouldn't go so far as sweat pants. For me that would be fine to wear if you're just having a night in with your SO, or if you're going grocery shopping or something.

Personally, I feel that it says you're not willing to put in the effort to try to clean yourself up and the person you're going on a date with might feel that you don't think they're worth trying to impress.

• i don't dress to impress. I am not shallow. girls who don't want guys to wear sweatpants on a date are very shallow. wearing sweatpants doesn't give a good impression? it shows the guy is confident/doesn't care what other people think/is laid back...

• Well that's rather a generalisation. As a previous answerer said, it depends where the date is. If it's appropriate for the location, then sure, wear the sweatpants. I suppose you could use it to tell if the girl is too "shallow" for you.

• If you want to stay laid back about it, then wear a pair of jeans and a clean/nice t-sh*t or blouse. Sweatpants aren't appropriate.

• If a guy showed up to a date in sweatpants, I would not have a 2nd date with him. If he can't even try to put in an effort the first time, there's no way in hell he's getting a 2nd date. Put on some jeans dude

• wearing jeans = more effort than wearing sweatpants? why is that? you act like wearing jeans equals putting in an effort... lol

• because jeans are something you can wear to lots of things.. whether it be a date, the bar, sports events.. as long as they're not ripped. Jeans can look very nice when paired with a nice shirt

• black sweatpants can look very nice with a nice shirt in my opinion. a clean pair of sweatpants combined with expensive shoes and a nice shirt = not sloppy at all.

• I wouldn't, unless the date is super casual. like SUPER casual. I mean, its a first date and the girl will be stressed out over what to wear and her hair etc, and you will just be in your sweats. She may be insulted and think you didn't care. Anyways, in general sweatpants are fine I don't see why everyone thinks they are like the plague or something, they are comfy and can even be attractive. Just save them for not your first date.

• Depends where the date is.

• don't wear them on a date, especially a first one

• hell to the no.

• Keep wearing sweatpants on dates and are how much sex you get

• and are how much sex you get?

what? ? ?

• And see* how much sex you get. Gotta love autocorrect

• lol you act like guys who wear sweatpants don't get laid... ahaha

• Sweatpants are fine normally, but it just looks like you don't care. I think if you like the girl at all you should take the time to wear jeans or other pants. First impressions are important.

• girls who don't want guys to wear sweatpants on a date are very shallow. wearing sweatpants doesn't give a good impression? it shows the guy is confident/doesn't care what other people think/is laid back. black sweatpants can look very nice with a nice shirt in my opinion. a clean pair of sweatpants combined with expensive shoes and a nice shirt = not sloppy at all.

• I see your point but it also shows that the guy doesn't care what his date thinks either and that's not really a great impression to be giving the girl you are interested in.

• sloppy and never ok

What Guys Said 7

• For the love of all things ever, dear god no.

This question makes me sad.

• what's wrong with wearing sweatpants on a first date?

• not really. try to be more convincing next time.

• Well for one it's incredibly rude. It shows your date that you don't respect her enough to put in at least some consideration to your appearance for her.

• No. It's way too laid back. Trust me, getting a little dressed up once every now and then is not that bad. Just wear a pair of jeans and a polo.

• Hell no. Most girls don't like em.

• no, never. don't do it.

• Unfortunately who have to leave a good impression lol.

• If you've known the guy as a friend first, I think it'd be cool.

I myself would thoroughly welcome that.

• Rofl I'm totally going to start wearing sweats to dates just to piss girls off.