Why do so many curvy girls make mean comments about girls with slim figures?

I mean girls with boyish figures, meaning not all the hips action and booty, boobs, etc. Kind of like standard model figure, but not as skinny, in my case. I'm also kind of petite.

anyway, what's the deal? if you call curvy girls fat or whatever, hell boils over and you never hear the end of it. which is fine, I understand that they sometimes struggle with the views on beauty in the fashion industry and I guess that somehow affects them. whatever. I usually don't make negative comments about their body types unless pushed to the point where I'm annoyed and upset. however, they seem to always take the liberty to make comments about my body type. I'm not skinny, I'm just have a flatter and narrower shape than they do, but they will make comments about how I could be hotter if I gained weight. one girl told me that I could probably look like her if I gained 30 lbs. lol I'm like, um no thanks. we all have different body types. I'm not curvy. if I that much gain weight, its not going to distribute on my body the way it would on hers. if I'm out with a guy they think is hot and they like him I guess, they make comments about my body around me. even when I'm not around a guy they like. we could be talking about guys and they will make comments like "no offense, but I don't like that men like women with no curves. what's sexy about that?" or they will decide that "men don't like girls who don't have shapely figures." I have a friend who makes little underhanded comments about my body all the time. she's very curvy. it could be something about how her cousin whos a freshman in high school has the same shape that I do, or how she's curvy because she "became a woman" (insinuating that I still havent). its little comments like that. strangers offer their comments sometimes too. some girl came up to my boyfriend at a club and asked him if he wanted to get with a "real woman" and started shaking her butt in front of him. we both started laughing but I almost killed her. seriously, are you crazy? I will cut you, bitch. lol girls stress me out, man.

what is going on here, people? if you're curvy and you think your body is more attractive, fine. you're entitled to feel that way. however, I really don't think its necessary to make comments about my body if you are really confident and happy with the way you look. I love my body. I wouldn't trade it in for a curvy one, like ever. not my taste. I don't feel I need to make comments about curvy girls. I get nothing from it. so that tells me that you must not be in the same place if you constantly feel the need to make negative comments.

What do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Jealousy or insecurity.

Most likely the latter. It's a way to reinforce to themselves that their body is "better". Realistically, it's easier for you to find clothes, be able to wear what you want, and an athletic shape is generally well appreciated by men.

Girls can be nasty and pathetic. They seem to think that all men can only like one type of body, and fail to recognise that most men like a variety.

I have a curvy body and will freely admit that girls with "straighter" bodies can look freaking hot. In fact, I'm going to the gym like crazy to try make my body leaner. Also, MOST women have straight bodies.

• yeah. to be fair, guys do that as well. people in general are kind of ridiculous and insecure. its interesting that you say that most women have straight bodies. hmm...anyway there's nothing wrong with being curvy :)

• Oh, I know. But I'm super tall, so being curvy tends to make me look bigger than I actually am.

And yup, I think something like 30-40% of women have straight bodies. Most just think they have hourglasses :P lol I think the guys who say "I want someone with some meat on her" mean it, but a lot feel pressured to say it because of the spreading belief that curvy = healthy. If you're naturally skinny and straight, work it. Wear things that flatter your body and I doubt any guy would complain ;)

What Guys Said 7

• I have an interest in this as a skinny guy. I get something quite similar happening to me. Just out of nowhere a person might say 'you're skinny'. I'm just thinking, bemused, no sh*t sherlock. What do you want me to do with that comment? Attacking skinny people is definitely seen as more acceptable than attacking fat people. Has it become more socially acceptable? Is it really a reflection of overweight people's insecurities? Most would argue it's just banter and that there's no hidden meaning behind it. I for one think it's vulgar and rude to comment on people's appearances like that. Enlighten me someone.

• hmm, I don't think making fun of skinny people is more socially acceptable, do you not hear about all the comments people say to fat people, its not like one is made fun of more.

• oh for f sakes, it was the question asker saying fail, ahah nvm.

• lol

• Jealousy and racism, since we're mainly talking Asian women nowadays in the US.

• disagree. I see a lot of girls like this all the time and a lot of them are not asian. I'm definitely not asian. Asians don't make up a large percentage of the country anyway so its kind of irrational to suggest this lol oh well. its OK :)

• I don't need to repeat myself. Jealousy and racism, that's why people put down the slim grls.

• Oh, BTW, I forgot to add that they're also homphobic!

• You have to make this sh*t shorter I didn't even read past 3 sentences the thing is that curvy girls feel insecure or inferior to petite or skinny girls because you generally see more of them with guys. There isn't many girls that actually fit the word "curvy". Its pretty annoying how a girl has a little bit of an ass and maybe a B or C cup and think she's curvy. I mean the word is so loosely thrown around nowadays.

• Yep, this.

I only made it to the hell boils over part. Paragraphs, QA! Paragraphs!

• so what do you consider curvy, if you don't mind me asking? because I've always thought of myself as curvy, granted I ain't no B or C cup lol.

• lol you all suck. listen to my rants, damn it!

• It's because people today have little to no respect for other people. If you are happy with you and your body good F#%$ what other people think or say.

• JEALOUSY!

• is that from the simpsons? I don't think I've ever seen that episode...

• You seem upset :( took it too serious?

• i forgive you and that's why I allow you to send me a friend request.

• lol they jealous b*tches

• Ran into this a LOT when I went back to the states with my Japanese girlfriend. Women are very jealous of women that are better looking than them I guess heh

• i mean it doesn't even have to be like that. a lot of people think curvy women are attractive just like many people prefer women who aren't curvy. I don't see the problem. but they love to try and put down other women who aren't curvy. I don't get it, personally, but its ridiculous in any case. a little self esteem, real self esteem that isn't boosted at the expense of others, is definitely in order.

• you have issues, my love. very rotten inside, not a good or even a nice guy. no bueno.

• Some people have it coming. America has this idiotic notion that you can go around and say whatever you want without consequence. The rest of the world doesn't work this way. In London if you say that sort of sh*t to someone in a bar, you will get beaten down in seconds.

So basically what I am here to say is f*** you people. F***your individualistic, self-absorbed bullsh*t. It:'s why 9/11 happened and its why people f***ing hate America. And they aren't wrong to, because Americans are a**holes

What Girls Said 15

• I'm sorry but I only read the question lol. Too much reading, I'm feeling a little lazy right now. But you have to notice that people do this to one another because of jealousy - mostly...I guess. I remember how wherever I went, people would always tell me that I'm too skinny & that I need "to put meet on them bones" when really, wasn't skinny. I'm more in between skinny & curvy but people always seem to ignore that...I admit at first it bothered me but I found out that it's not only "skinny" people that get discriminated against. (I don't know why but while I'm writing this, I feel like I'm getting mad already...). Everybody gets discriminated against! Geez don't you know? I've heard a lot about people calling other people "curvy" or "fat" in a disgusted way, so why are you complaining? Everybody has at least one person or category of people that they discriminate against so why does it matter? You shouldn't care what they think anyway...See the other side will you? I'm not trying to give a negative comment, I'm just making a point. Besides, on tv, you see a whole bunch of girls who are "fit" or "skinny" & I can't help but think about how people who are curvy might find that insulting - I know I would. I can pin point it exactly because I don't fit in that category but...so when they see a skinny girl they feel they have to say something because they probably want to know that they're not alone...? Like Adele...?...

• Girls who are nasty to each other about appearance, have issues with their own looks. I'm deeeefinitely curvy, a very defined hourglass, but I honestly don't think it is the 'most' attractive body type. One of my best friends is almost completely flat and I think she's gorgeous and very womanly. And besides that, what do they want you to do, get implants? Hell no, if they don't have to change their body, neither do you.

As long as you know how to dress for your body type, to flatter what you do have, you're going to be, in my opinion, a lot more attractive than the curvy girls who don't have a clue.

• It's their way of being 'happy' with their bodies. When you're curvy in this society your gonna be insecure at some points in your life no doubt! So to pretend like they're totally happy and confident with their body they start saying that curvy is the best thing to be and anything else isn't. I'm slightly curvy and tall, but I have only skinny friends, so as I said I also had some insecurities and to be honest I also think that curves are beautiful, but I've also been jealous of skinny girls in the past. So please just do you, don't mind them and rock your bodyshape.

• I only read the first sentence. curvy is when a girl has a flat stomach, big boobs, and butt NOT fat, so I don't think they would be jealous of someone else. Skinny girls make fun of actual fat girls, so it goes both ways.

• What the hell is wrong with people!? they shouldn't treat you like that no matter what shape and size you are. Anything that would posses women to be so rude would be jealousy, they aren't skinny and never will be so they get jealous of girls who are naturally and get all catty. Also a lot of people think it is okay to be rude to a skinny person because they are skinny and being skinny is seen as a positive so somehow the rude comments are meant to be seen as a compliment in some twisted way, but then if you call someone fat/ tell them to loose weight, or even talk about obese people around fat people you are a heartless monster wtf!. As a somewhat curvy girl (thick ass/ thighs, large hip-waist ration, smaller upper body) I don't understand why so many girls seem to think that what a guy thinks of your body is the only opinion that matters or how the size of your ass can determine how woman you are? No matter what you look like other girls will always decide that one of the traits guys don't like simply to make them selves feel better/ make them think more guys like them, I mean one of my friends told me "no offence but guys only like tan girls, pale girls look dead" (i'm super pale) it's like yes and you have obviously interviewed every straight and bisexual male on the planet to make this an accurate generalization -.- I've had a lot of skinny friends and they always run into this crap from other girls all you can do is be like "excuse me but what gives you the right to treat me like this?" or ignore them as for your friends I'd have a nice long chat with them about how rude they are being.

• They're jealous

Curvy girls or self proclaimed curvy girls are normally fat & could use some running around the block & they know they aren't ideal. It hurts them to know guys will always drool over a model over someone like Christina Hendricks(who's fat) or America Ferrera

• Christina Hendrix is a goddess. A classic beauty.

• Agree with the curvy girls comment. I've met few so called curvy women who aren't at least 20 pounds overweight. Christina Hendricks is a little chubby but her breasts are absolutely grotesque. I'd hate to see them out of a bra

• no these girls are curvy not obese or anything. my friend has a figure like christina, the one who makes underhanded comments about my body. fat women hardly ever make comments about me. its the curvy women who do.

• I think that a lot of the time, they are self-conscious about their figures and they are jealous of skinnier girls, so they are rude about it.. It seems really weird to be that they're allowed to tell skinny girls they're gross and bony but skinnier people can't say that stuff about curvy or fat people...

• I believe they're jealous because they're not skinny. Skinny girls can be curvy too. It's just wrong for anybody to make rude comments about skinny girls. I'm a plus-size girl and I don't make rude comments about skinny girls. Them girls who tease skinny girls need to get a damn life.

• They are very stupid... ahem... Unlearned in the respect department.

• Jelousy!

• this is coming from a curvy girl who isn't fat but very curvy. huge boobs and ass, thick thighs.

i never put down skinny girls. the truth is, being curvy isn't always so amazing. I had body image issues for years because I wasn't a stick and never will be. it's a lot easier to wear cute clothes if you aren't as curvy many many clothes just don't fit me right or look ridiculous on me. and then you get many guys who just want to bang you, I feel like many more guys are just interested in having sex with me rather than a relationship.

while I do like my body now, I feel self conscious sometimes and I always wondered what it is like to be skinny, and I will never know.

and I don't have a fast metabolism. I have to watch myself. if I stay thin my curves look nice but I am sure I would look like a huge fatass if I put on 30 pounds. my ass would be ginormous and my hips would be huge and those thighs, forget it.

if you are naturally thin I am sure many girls are quite jealous.

• I have run into this as a skinny girl but its whatevs

• true. you can't really change people so I guess it doesn't matter how I feel about this.

• they are just mad that someday they will be fat...

• 1) The "curvy" girls who tend to make these comments are usually just fat/overweight and jealous of people who aren't, regardless of their shape

2) Most truly curvy girls aren't jealous of other girls' bodies, whether thin or overweight because scientifically a curvy hourglass is the body type that most attracts men, so why would they be jealous of something that's not as good as what they've got?

• Because Media seems to trick women into doing anything.

• nope, its the other way around for me. I have fat friends who don't make mean comments about me. the curvy girls I know are all about promoting the message to the world that their body is best. lol its like okay, we hear you, sit down.

• I don't know why they would do that. I am curvy (not fat lol) and I never feel the need to put down either friends that are bigger then me or friends that are thinner than me. Maybe the just aren't confident in their bodies. I'm confident in mine so I don't need to make fun of other people.

Just worry about how you feel about your body

• They're just jealous and take it out on others to make themselves feel better. Ridiculous. Don't pay any attention to them