Is a guy getting you lingerie for your birthday an insult?

I'm not sure what to think ... is a guy thinking "I'm bored with this chick ... I'm gonna get her something to try to help" or is he just thinking "expensive gift = good."

• Yes
  • No
He's my boyfriend of a year, by the way. It makes me wonder if he's bored and want something sexier in the bedroom, so it's his backwards way of getting himself something. I'm not mad, just curious.

Most Helpful Girl

• If he's your SO he's thinking much more than expensive gift = good, that probably hasn't crossed his mind...

I'd only take it as an insult if he wasn't my SO...

• No, definitely not. Even if he says it's to spice things up it's not his intention to insult you at all. My advice is don't take it in a bad way.

You know him better than any of us but I really don't think he meant it in a bad way and I really don't think it should be taken in a bad way.

• Both, unfortunately. But usually, his good side outweighs his bad.

• Just pretend you're kinda air-headed to his games and he'll probably learn to speak the truth. It's a gentle way of saying I won't put up with your crap; a slow/gentle/oblivious kind of reaction is likely to be taken better by a guy like him (kind of irrational).

What Guys Said 5

• I'd think that it depends on what has been said between you (or by you) about the subject of 'being sexy', about your and his likes and dislikes in sex.

• He might have thought it was a good idea

• He is messing around with u, I got my friend a dildo for his 18th birthday and I got my friend a box of condoms for her birthday. however I got them real presents too

• How can that be an insult?

• Him trying to tell me that I bore him in bed. He can a be a really critical guy when it comes to appearance and things like that.

• He's giving himself a present for my birthday, which is lame! Ha, ha. I don't really care about that part ... I guess I'm just trying to predict if he's going to go on a douchery spree like he sometimes does. BTW, he's a science geek, not a party boy/jock that people on GAG crusade against, before anyone sprews venom about "chicks only date douches."

• I think your perception is a bit messed.

• I don't think it is.

What Girls Said 4

• it's kind of a classic guy move, like what guy knows what to get a girl, EVER? haha, so lingerie can just be his easiest go to before jewelry. if you're really worried you should ask him... he'll probably tell you exactly what he was thinking.

• If you haven't discussed it, then yes..

as a funny side note.. today is my bf's birthday.. and his buddies last night, gave him a gift card to Victoria's Secret lol

• Guys buy lingerie for them..

Just like we buy it... for them.

• Or maybe he's just trying to be cute or something? :D Sometimes guys get really crappy/embarrassing gifts and think that it was a good present :D and be insulted if you didn't like it

• Not if he's my husband.