6 Reasons Why I Do Not Drink Alcohol

1. My parents are not drinkers at all.

Both my parents seldom drink alcohol. They are extremely adverse to the substance. I know why my father does not drink it. One time when he was in college, he saw a pretty bowl of wine. He thought the pretty bowl of wine would be tasty or good to try out. But when he actually tasted the wine, he found out that the wine tasted extremely bitter. I am not sure why my mother does not drink it. Not drinking alcohol does not mean they do not keep alcohol in the house. Occasionally, they would buy a bottle of wine - whatever brand - and give it as a gift, because wine bottles are pricey enough to be the perfect gift and to show off personal wealth.

They would also keep wine bottles, given by friends over the years, and store the wine bottles in the little wine cellar rack (the rack was there when they bought the house). I think one of the bottles is about 10 years old now, and it has never been opened. Sometimes, they would buy a six-pack of beer cans for a party, but that pack would be exclusively for guests. If the guests did not consume the cans entirely, then my father would pick up one unopened can and finish it to avoid the beer going to waste. Like I said, my father does not like drinking alcohol that much, so if there are too many unopened beer cans, then my mother would use the leftover unopened beer cans in cooking. The cooking process would infuse the beer flavor into the food, and the alcohol content would be starkly reduced.

2. I didn't want to get into trouble with the law.

The legal drinking age in the United States is 21. Vendors cannot sell or offer any alcoholic beverages to minors or people under that age. This includes the vast majority of college students. Despite the age limit, some college students still have access to alcohol and may throw parties with alcohol. This leads to drunk driving, wild partying, sexual assault, and other indiscretions.

I realize that my high school classmates, who had been brought up in Christian environments, would ask the teacher about communion, and the teacher would explain that the wine in communion has low concentration of alcohol and is given in extremely low doses, so that is tolerable. Later, as I learned more about Christianity through self-study, I found out that some Christian denominations rejected the use of alcohol in communion, preferring to use grape juice instead, or even dropped the practice altogether, believing it to be unbiblical or unchristian.

For me, I didn't care about that religious stuff, even though it was interesting to know. I just cared about following the law. Getting pulled over for a DUI is not cool and leaves a bad mark on the driving record.

3. My first sip of alcohol left a bad impression in me.

When I was 21 years old, I thought about going to the bar on the college campus. I am not sure why a bar would appear on the college campus in the student union building, when most traditional students are below the drinking age. I suppose non-traditional students, graduate students, faculty members, staff, and older visitors are more likely to use the bar.

Anyway, the bartender was offering free samples of beer. I tried one. It tasted awful and burned my tongue. I immediately had to spit it out, because I couldn't handle the burning sensation anymore. I was afraid that the substance would burn my esophagus.

4. Subsequent experiences were equally awful.

A local grocery store offered wine samples. I thought wine must taste better than beer, wouldn't it? Well, the good thing about wine was that it didn't burn as much as beer. I could swallow it safely. However, it had an extremely bitter taste and aftertaste. Fortunately, the wine at the sample stand was accompanied by cheese, which completely cleansed the palate.

5. Alcohol contains a relatively high amount of calories per gram.

Alcohol is a high-calorie substance. In one gram of alcohol, there are 7 calories! In one gram of pure fat, there are 9 calories. And in a gram of protein or carbohydrate, there are only 4 calories. Therefore, it is not surprising that alcohol is linked to fatty liver disease, even though non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and cirrhosis of the liver exist in obese people.

6. Not drinking alcohol means going to bars is useless to me - and that's a very good thing!

Bars, pubs, and nightclubs have a seedy reputation. They are associated with hook-up culture. Men and women go in, get a drink, meet new people, and chill. People who repeatedly live in this toxic environment may never learn how to outgrow it and mature into functional adults. They live a wild life, hooking up without caring for the consequences. We don't live in a world where alcoholic beverages are cleaner and more sanitary than water. We can just drink water. It's free, whereas alcohol usually costs a lot of money. So, it makes economical sense to drink ONLY water. The body can tolerate more water than alcohol, and water nourishes the body's cells. Therefore, biologically, water is the healthier choice. And alcohol does not make you look cool. Fruits and vegetables do. They give you the nutrients you need to stay healthy, while alcohol robs away your youth.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 35

I don't drink, either. The taste has always put me off and frankly, I just don't see the point. I LIKE maintaining full control of all my faculties. ;)

You might not like the taste but you could be drinking it wrong. Also some alcoholic beverages are your healthiest option at a restaurant, and pair very nicely with food. Regardless, it's always a good thing to be responsible when drinking.

Usually, water is free in a restaurant. Water is nourishing and economical. :D

Yes, but it is more economical to buy local. If you live near an orange farm and prefer apples, then you have to pay more for apples due to the transportation costs.

True. If they are not priced equally then it can become more economical to purchase the other but it still doesn't change your preference. There is a formula you can use to figure out which option is more economical.

I don't drink, because I need no more vices in my life. I've enough already.

The last reason is not good, but I agree with the rest.

Why are you G@G people so sober? lol

I actually liked my first taste of beer, but what I don't really like is the bar scene or getting too drunk. I'd rather be in a quiet relaxing environment while drinking.

I mean 2 doesn't explain why you wouldn't drink after you're 21.

3 & 4 is just "I don't like the taste"

And when it comes to 5, a typical 40% vodka contains only about 2.3 calories/gram and you can mix it with something that has a low amount of calories so you probably wouldn't be getting that many calories unless you can drink like a 40 year old russian man.

6. This problem is solved by having a small amount of self control, also water doesn't make you feel good like alcohol does. People drink alcohol to get intoxicated, not for health reasons so this argument makes no sense.

I don't get it either, whisky and stuff just make my throat burn, it's awful.

i dindt have a single drop in months, and i feel good about it. no more drunk madness and regrets for me ;) ! im over that bs

Great write up with no trace of judgement. So not even wine huh... that's crazy.
    What was the bartenders reaction when spat back the beer taster lol?

Why do i get the sense you were really well behaved as a child.

Alcohol really is a cultural thing for me. My family is made up of mostly Brits, Irishmen, and Germans, so when we get together, there has always been alcohol. I will usually drink a beer or two every couple, but I do a lot of exercise to keep in shape, it works lol. I love the taste of beer, whisky, gin, wine, and even vodka. If you're responsible, then it really is something of zero consequence. But obviously no one should be forced to drink it. As the devils advocate, I just have to say that I love alcohol, and probably won't stop drinking until the day I die hahaha.

I have one good reason I never drank in life. Alcohol is garbage and I don't put garbage in my body.

My girlfriend doesn't drink it because of the calories, and feels she doesn't need it to have a good time.

Alcohol is good but it causes gaining fat on body, when I don't give a damn about being fat, I will start drinking alcohol. I was 89 kilograms. I gave up alcohol and I lost 24 kilograms. I started running after I gave up alcohol. I think After the age 30, I will start drinking alcohol and be fat again. Also some people say I lost too much weight. This makes me a little angry. Some people are critisizing me for it. This makes the time come faster for me to be fat again. I guess I will. Fuck all people. Whatever you do, you are bad.

I actually regret I did the attempt of losing weight. People say I lost too much weight. They are talking bad of me. I feel like gaining all the weight I lost and be FAT again.

@ElissaDido

I am desperate

-Saves money
    -saves brain cells and health in general

i'll stick o my diet cokes.

"When reporting a medical need for another minor due to underage drinking"? What the hell does that mean?

I don't drink heavily, because I don't want to. Don't need to justify it to anyone with it being unhealthy and.. blah blah blah.

Reasons why I don't drink alcohol:
    #1. It's bad for health.
    ---- over ----

You as well? I also don't drink. Even the taste... It tastes horrible. I can think of so many more non-alcoholic drinks that would actually entice me. And the consequence of impaired judgement... how is that an attractive reward?

• More from Guys
    15

What Girls Said 13

I have literally never had a sip, taste, or drink of alcohol and thankfully this actually worked out for me in the long run because for medical reasons now, I am not supposed to drink it. Like you, my parents only very rarely drink, and it's just never been a big deal to me not to drink. People in my college days especially would try to really pressure me to drink, but I would always do what my brother taught me, which was just get a solo cup, fill it with water, and walk around with that at parties and people will just assume you're drinking. Worked like a charm!

Yeah, same reasons for me. Also - I just don't like the taste...

I don't drink because I'm Muslim. + most of the reasons you stated!
    Too bad the guy I'm talking to drinks :/

It's not for you.. good on you for figuring that out and not bending to peer pressure.

As long as you're not self righteous about it, it's a good thing :)

Many people enjoy alcohol and are able to do so responsibly. Others go through a party phase. There's no sense in being judgmental towards those people. It's pretty normal. Obviously, some people have drinking problems and those need to be taken seriously and addressed, but that's best left to the people who love them.

I don't drink because it kills brain cells, clouds judgment, screws up memory and basically is for losers. If I get picked up at a bar and yes I do go to bars I want to know what I'm doing not wind up in somebody's bed and I don't even know his name

While I don't drink either (maybe once a year I have a couple drinks). The last point is a bit more of a personal choice with little to do with drinking.
    I'd go out clubbing all the time over the last couple years, even without drinking, just to dance. I'd go out, dance all night, and go home. That's why I went out, the hook up culture doesn't change the fact I get to dance to music.

With my partner now, we go to the bar every weekend, get dinner, sometimes chat to people there. Doesn't affect us in any way if others are there to hook up or whatever, he's having a beer, I'm not drinking.

If you don't enjoy that scene though that's completely cool too.

My only issue comes when people say "oh you must have no fun" when you say you don't drink, or go to a club, or do drugs (or all of that). It just means we have different things we find fun and enjoy!

I rarely drink alcohol... right, @akadatank44? ;p

i can drink socially. I have no problem to drink when i am at vacation or with friends, it doesn't make me alchoholic, or makes me crave alchohol...
    i think dont drink at all is kinda boring too

Reasons why I drink: to get rekt

I resonate with this. Neither of my parents was ever a big drinker, my mom barely drank ever... so, it was never something that was a positive part of the house.
    Now, the bars downtown are too crazy and filled with fellow students I'd rather not hang with. The drinking culture is just too loud and crazy and sloppy. I HATE drunk people.
    To top it off, none of my friends are drinkers so, there's really no pressure to even try. My boyfriend also doesn't drink, so, that's awesome.
    It's just not a big deal and not something I see myself doing.

There was a recent study that found alcohol to be directly correlated to certain types of cancer

LETS GET MORTAL!!

1. It gives me a headache
    2. My taste is expensive
    3. My taste is also high in calories
    4. I see no need in getting drunk