Why do girls constantly chase guy who doesn't care about them?

I just don't get it anymore. Do you girls just enjoy beating your heads against a wall or what? It's really starting to blow my mind how a girl will... Show More

I'm not the "nice guy" who is angry because girls go for jerks. I'm just thoroughly confused as to the mentality that causes girls to never be interested in the guy who actually shows interest and instead always want the guy who gives them the cold shoulder. I've even seen girls go as far as losing interest in a guy as soon as he reciprocates. I have a friend who has had her heart broken 3 times in the last 6 months because she chases uninterested guys who blow her off or have GF's.
I'm also starting to notice a trend in this regard and I'm curious as to everyone else's thoughts. It seems the girls who do this the most are the ones who have a neglecting parent. Most commonly an absent or abusive father who left the family in same way.

Most Helpful Girl

• “Have you ever been in love? Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable. It opens your chest and it opens up your heart and it means that someone can get inside you and mess you up. You build up all these defenses, you build up a whole suit of armor, so that nothing can hurt you, then one stupid person, no different from any other stupid person, wanders into your stupid life...You give them a piece of you. They didn't ask for it. They did something dumb one day, like kiss you or smile at you, and then your life isn't your own anymore. Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like 'maybe we should be just friends' turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind. It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. I hate love." ~ Neil Gaiman from "The Sandman"

Girls, especially at a certain age, love guys who are mysterious and not available. They think it's a challenge - if she can get him, every girl on the planet will envy her. Also, what you can't have is somewhat interesting and thus many girls (and guys) chase after people who don't really care or aren't available.

It's stupid and it hurts so much. I think after a certain age, people become wiser and know what's good for them and what's bad for them. At least I hope so.

• This comment invokes two things.

1 - The truth.

2 - The burning desire to make me want to stab my eye out and live the rest of my life far away people in the solitude of the Himalayan mountains.

• @ update: You're right. There are several girls who chase after abusive guys without even realizing. Studies have shown that if a girl has an abusive mother or father in particular, it makes her thrive for abuse. She likes to suffer and seeks drama her whole life. A good guy who treats her with respect seems "fishy" or "weird". She's used to suffering. It's like her comfort zone. On the other hand, a lot of girls link their self-worth with how great the guy she's with is.

• just don't complain when there are no nice guys because you girls are turning them into a**holes.