Women: How much should a man spend on a wedding ring?

I well understand the pros and the cons. It is tradition. A lot of men would object to spending a lot of money on a rock that has no utilitarian purpose, and that's reasonable.

Also, on the other side of things, the tradition was made so that it's a sacrifice men have to make to ensure he actually takes the marriage seriously and has stock in it.

How much should a woman spend on a wedding ring?

(For example, let's assume the guy is middle class, has a stable full-time job making $45,000. He can afford a nice ring, but he'll have to sacrifice a good bit to pay for it.)

• $1000 or less
  • $1000 to 3000
  • $3000 to 4000
  • $4000 to 5000
  • Over 5000

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't know because I don't have a clear idea of what a certain ring looks like when it is worth a certain amount of money. I'm not familiar with the correlation between quality and price when it comes to 1000$ VS 5000$, so I couldn't tell. Personally, I'd like my wedding ring to be a value item because I will wear it for everyday of my life from then on, and I'd hate to have an item make me feel cheap every single day. That'd make me cringe and it'd make me want to not wear it after a while. I've always worn the ''expensive'' jewelry I've been given by a guy everyday without fail when we were dating. It made me feel loved and cared for. I know it's shallow, but that's just how I see it. There's also the fact that I saw my father's wedding ring everyday growing up and I've always found it to be absolutely gorgeous. It's a large gold band with swirly designs ingraved all around it. I'm sure it didn't cost a million dollars but I've always seen it as the most beautiful jewel, even prettier IMO than my mom's ring. It still looks like I've always remembered it, to this day.

So my thinking is that if my father can have such a pretty piece for not that expensive, I'm sure I can be pleased with a wedding ring that's reasonably priced. I just couldn't tell right now what that price point is cause I've never shopped for this before.

What Girls Said 17

• I dunno, I think it's kind of messed up that many women's expectations essentially drain guys of money on stupid stuff like that.

Personally I don't really wear jewelry, I take it off once and then forget to put it on, so it would almost be a waste even though it's a sweet thought (proposal with a ring I mean). Some women are bridezillas and they want the "picture perfect wedding" so it will matter to them how much you spend. It allll depends on the girl.

If I really wanted a nice ring I think a good way to go about it would be to have the guy get what he can reasonably afford without sacrificing too much and then LATER investing in a pricier ring together. Much like the marriage takes two parties, wouldn't it make sense for both parties to invest in something she'll hopefully wear forever? I feel like it might even be more meaningful and romantic that way.

• I don't mind tbh it could be $50 and I'd love it. I prefer things to be simple and elegant. Which is an understatement because I tend to use money lavishly. But yeah my mum goes you should not see the value of the gift but the givers heart. More than the ring what would matter to me is how much effort, love and thought he's put into that ring. To me that's what makes the invaluable rather than the price and size of it

• I think it's "supposed" to be 3 months pay. I think that's fair, it means that a guy who doesn't make that much money shouldn't have to spend as much as a guy who makes 6 figures. It also means that a guy who has a really good job can't be cheap and say "well $1000 is what everybody else pays" - it goes back to what you said about making a sacrifice for the woman you love.

just saw that you told all the other girls who said 3 months pay that it's "retarded" so you probably won't like my answer but oh well, you asked. It seems like you only want to hear certain answers.

• I always felt the ring didn't matter. I think $1,000 is ridiculous for a ring.

• I'm one of those really simple girls. I don't even like wearing jewelry at all. So I would prefer the least amount of money on a ring. I think a $1000 is way too much on a piece of jewelry, regardless of how much money the man makes. Id rather spend more money on a trip together or something.

• I said $1000 or less, I really wouldn't feel comfortable wearing something very valuable (get insurance) , I like simple things with a meaning, that's more important to me than the cost of the ring.

• Traditionally I believe it's 3 months pay.

• I think he should determine his budget, and then shop around a lot to find the best ring he can that will suit her that's within his budget.

It's not the price, it's if the ring matches her personality.

• Propose without a ring and go ring shopping together.

• It depends on his income.

The 4 C's of diamonds are important and with high quality comes a bigger price.

Personally, I want one ring that is my engagement and wedding ring. Or stacked rings could work, like, a band for the wedding and an "actual" ring for the engagement ring.

Yes, I'm oh so shallow.

• it's okay. just remember to suck good d*** and you'll get any diamond you want

• Tradition dictates 3 months salary but I would hate it if over £500 was spent on an engagement ring for me

• 3 months salary is retarded. so if I make $40,000 a year, I should spend $10,000 over a ring, lmao

but yeah, its good that you're understanding like that.

• Its the traditional answer don't get offended when you ask the question. I'm sure it was more true when people weren't making 40 grand a year.

• I'll be honest I agree the tradition is very outdated and in my eyes the less expensive the ring the more you can save for when you're actually married and need the money.

• $1000 or less, something simple and not expensive. I prefer a low key wedding and doesn't cost too much

• I actually don't even care

• Ah that's personal, between the couple. Ask the girl casually her general views on the subject.

Depends on what he can spend without putting himself in a bad situation financially - that's the most important.

You must remember though that depending on the ring, you'll need to take out insurance for it. The pricier the ring, the higher the insurance - maybe she should pay that if she's very picky about the ring.

Certain diamonds, sizes, cuts, clarity, colors etc. all affect the price. A yellow diamond is more expensive than a white diamond. Other stones are cheaper like Tanzanite but it's blue/purple and quite rare - which I think makes it more special than a plain diamond ring most girls have.

Buying a ring overseas would also be cheaper. Jewellery in the States is gang money.

Me buying him one... I'd buy him exactly what he wanted. I'd save up if I had to and I want him to choose it. It's one of 2 pieces of jewellery he will wear forever, he should like it.

Him buying me one ... My priorities lie elsewhere, I'd rather wedding and diamond ring money go towards a really nice house. I'm so plain and I don't wear jewellery so I'd want just one band, nothing flashy.

That being said, my SO says that's not happening, he wants me to wear something really nice because he's worried people think he's a cheapo. I suppose what he wants matters too. I will definitely put my foot down when it comes to the price though.

It's really not a matter of how much we SHOULD spend, it's about how much we CAN & WANT to spend.

• I don't really know what wedding bands/rings run at, but whatever's comfortably affordable. Probably well under $1000. I buy him one too, right? I think they just need to suit us and last well over time. I wouldn't want us to spend a small fortune on them, but we should spend just enough and pick the right ones to ensure that they won't be easily damaged.

• It all depends on his income.

• Look into moissanite! Chemical and optical properties are equivalent or superior to diamond...yet price increases linearly (not exponentially like diamond), because it is not controlled by a MONOPOLY.

You can look up all this info for yourself, but diamonds are actually not nearly as rare as the price suggests. You are paying for a brand name...while moissanite is VERY close to the hardness of diamond, more fire, more brightness, higher heat tolerance, and looks so much like a diamond that for a long time - even jewelers couldn't tell them apart. Don't waste your money on diamond. Moreover, you can avoid all the social implications of buying naturally mined diamonds that come from war-torn countries along the way...

Invest in the gold setting. Get as many prongs as you can, make sure it's solid (not electroplated) etc. The setting is equivalent - if not more valuable than the stone.

What Guys Said 7

• The quality of the marriage is much more important than the price of the wedding ring. What's the plus of a $1k ring over a cheaper one? The possible worth after the divorce? A kind of dowry, Indian and Arab style?

That would be a doubtful way to start a marriage in the US.

IMHO there are better uses for $1k or $5k.

• The weddings alone cost up to 5k that's excluding the clothing costs and yeah the gold is very expensive

• Gold prices have been falling for months now and you don't need a pound of it in a ring: link

• At least $10,000.

• Weddings, rings, dresses, honeymoons...

I rather not have a wedding and spend the money on our actual lives together.

You know, the stuff that matters.

• You shouldn't look at the price. Choose as all of them was for free. And choose which you think it fits her the most

• The more you pay the more you play! Marriage is a game, specifically a gamble, and the more you invest the greater the loss. A fool's game, but what gambler isn't a fool?

• get a gold band.

Spending on pricy wedding rings is the most retarded thing middle class people can do... especially if you're not getting married at like 35 years old. Why not, instead of wasting something like 2, 3k on a ring, put some of that money towards a honeymoon, or towards a car, or towards several month's rent on an apartment?

It's the biggest sh*t test ever, baha. "Hon, you need to spend 3 months of your life earning me a completely useless piece of jewelry, instead of buying a Dodge Charger or paying for a vacation, etc. Just to show what a whipped p**** you are."

• Good question. I was just talking to my buddy at work today and we were talking about how jewelry commercials make women look horrible lol. The ladies that answered with a set amount worry me. It's as if they are marrying his wealth and earning some kind of social status...who knew they were actually getting married! haha