5 of the Most Hauntingly Arresting Abandoned Places in the World

Here’s my list of 5 of the most hauntingly striking abandoned places from around the world. Which one interests you most? Do you have any cool ones to add? I wanted to keep asylums and hospitals off this list and give you guys something a little different, I hope you enjoy!

5. I.M. Power Plant, Belgium

The I.M. Power Plant was built in 1921 the Belgian city of Charleroi and at the time was one of the largest coal burning power plants in the country. After years of service, a protest from Greenpeace and a lot of negative attention, the plant closed in 2007. Looking like something out of a post apocalyptic sci-fi movie, the cooling tower in particular is a great place for urban explorers to visit.

4. The Underwater City of Shi Cheng, China

Known as the Atlantis of the East, Shi Cheng (Lion City) is an ancient city built at during the Eastern Han Dynasty (AD 25 – 200) submerged at a depth of 26 – 40 meters. The city itself has only been submerged in water for the last 50 years as it was flooded to create a manmade lake but the city itself is around 1,400 years old. It’s a large city, at roughly 60 football fields long and features 265 arches throughout. Only recently rediscovered, there’s some fantastic photography of the place and I imagine it would be a dream place for diving fans to visit.

3. Abandoned Doll Factory, Spain

Creeped out by dolls? You’re not alone. Despite their association with children, there’s something quite eery about the haunting lifeless eyes of a dolly staring right at you and if you were to walk into this place and see not just one pair but thousands, it’d be safe to say you’d be more than a little freaked out. I couldn’t find an exact location for this place and I think it’s off the beaten track for most urban explorers which can be a good thing as it means the place has retained the feeling it had when it was first abandoned as it’s not been smashed by vandals and tagged by graffiti artists.

2. The Veterinary School of Anderlecht, Belgium

Once nicknamed the ‘Horror Labs and for good reason, this school of Veterinary Science in Brussels is no longer a place for Urban Exploration. According to the internet, the place was cleared out in 2014 but the photographs of what was once there are so fantastically scary I had to add this one to the list. Abandoned in 1990, time was not kind to this building and the poor preservation techniques meant that the pickled specimens began to decay over time. The unventilated lab full of poisonous substances meant that the overpowering stench of formaldehyde literally burned the nostrils of those urbexers brave enough to enter and some people had to leave quite rapidly as their skin began to react to the chemicals. The place is now cleared out and is apparently being renovated into luxury apartments but I’d recommend you check out photos of the place on Google, if you’re not too squeamish.

1. Oradour-sur-Glane, France

On Saturday the 10th of June in 1944, soldiers of the 2nd Waffen-SS Panzer Division Das Reich entered the French village of Oradour-sur-Glane and rounded up its inhabitants. The women and children were funneled into the village church and the ‘men’ (this also included any boys older than 15) were herded into a barn. Without warning an explosion happened at the church, with the intention of the smoke suffocating those within but when the fire erupted, the women panicked and tried to escape but they were shot at. Only one woman survived by jumping from a window. The inhabitants in the barn were machine gunned down before their bodies were set on fire. A total of 642 men, women and children lost their lives that day before the soldiers set the rest of the village on fire. The ruins have been left as an eternal memorial to those who died but also as a permanent reminder of the Nazi atrocities.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 18

I'm not going to those places lol

Wow, amazing. But you totally forgot Chernobyl! Lol. I've never heard of the ones you posted but I would agree that Shi Cheng and that doll factory in Spain are the most interesting. I mean... wow.

Nice seeing you write a Take by the way ;-)

Everyone's said Chernobyl and that's why I didn't add it. Too obvious and I wanted to do some people had never heard of, educate people on the the nerdy shit I spend my days reading about haha. And I've done a few now but thank you :)

I don't believe in ghosts or spirits or whatever, but I'd still love to visit these places. :)

People seem to think I used hauntingly to mean haunted, maybe I should have used a different word... i meant hauntingly as unforgettable but I suppose that some of these places must be haunted by the echoes of the past. They do look really cool places to visit!

Holy crap, holy crap, this was an AMAZING take.
    keep this up

Thanks dude, glad you enjoyed it! :D I wanna do a few parts to this if I get time

Awesome mytake! I'd love to see the abandoned doll factory or the underwater city!

I'd love to add a couple. Belangelo state forest:

This once serene wilderness became the playground of notorious serial killer Ivan Milat during the 1990's. It's where he would take his victims to toy with and torture before using them as target practice in his sick games. Sadness now fills your heart if you visit there as you become overwhelmed by the knowledge of the level of suffering which occurred there.
    I went there once and in Australia places like that are usually teaming with bird songs but there - nothing but silence. As if the wildlife knows.

Sydney Quarantine station:
    It's in a beautiful location but this place is steeped in terrible injustice and suffering. One of the most haunted places in Australia.
    During the early 1800s many people trying to migrate to Australia were sent there to be quarantined for disease after long ship journeys. The patients were treated like animals and many never left the station and instead died at the hands of homicidal racist doctors and nurses.
    Babies were drowned, elderly poisoned and many healthy arrivals were purposely infected with disease.

I've heard of both of these before, Ivan Milat was just horrendous. I think nature just forgets with places like that though, I don't like to think you can poison nature with evil, I think it grows on and forgets. I want to do a couple more takes like this and they'll probably make the list. I do love the ones with a tragic backstory! Glad you enjoyed my take :)

For #1, the first and last episodes of an epic documentary come to mind:

www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

The French one is a sombre one about the evils that exist in the world and they can not be allowed to return but the "Creepy" factor got me in 2 + 3 - Imagine going in them for an explore and not knowing what was behind the door just as the daylight was fading - That is horror movie material.

2 and 3 are definitely super creepy! Definitely should inspire some horror movies but both very cool places. Number 1 is just really sad and shocking. I can't believe there are people who deny that this ever happened but thankfully it's a crime in France to deny it.

Interesting places to visit, great Take :D

And Chernobyl?

I didn't want to include ones people knew about. Everyones said Chernobyl. It's obvious and everyone knows it, so I wanted to do some different ones.

Yeah, I understand what you're sayin, the Underdog Effect. We feel pressured into taking the unique things over the more commonly mentioned ones. But here's why I would say Chernobyl:

It's commonly used for a reason. Not many people know exactly the details about Chernobyl, and not many go through to explore Chernobyl. I watched Veritasium, a youtuber I like, do it, and it was one of the quietest and perhaps most haunting and thought-provoking experiences he had encountered. He thought mostly of death.

Chernobyl has good reason to be mentioned, which is why I would explore it in my life if I could

It's my take though, I wanted to do some stuff that was completely different. Chernobyl is so widely documented, if anyones interested they can just search it because they know the name. Most of the places I listed, people have never heard of so they wouldn't be searching info on them. But all you have to say is And Chernobyl. Well there's thousands of abandoned places, there's plenty I didn't choose for good reasons.

Right here in Los Angeles, in the suburb called San Pedro, there are two abandoned coastal defense fortresses, White's Point and Fort MacArthur. Part of Ft. Mac has become a museum and White's Pt. Is cemented in, but when I was a teen Ft. Mac wasn't a museum and there was a way into White's Pt.

My friends and I spent many a night exploring the abandoned bunkers with the accompanying faux devil worship graffiti (the 80s was the era of the Satanic Panic). IT. WAS. AWESOME!!!

We speculated about the various rooms and abandoned construction. Some of our speculations proved correct. Any rate, it was a pitch black world of dripping roofs, rusty creaking blast doors, WW I era machinery with Frankenstein like toggle switches, spider webs, haunting echoes, and a dreary emptiness.

Ah, those ghostly memories!

http://www.ftmac.org

Sounds so Interesting! I'm so jealous you got to urbex something so cool

Yeee-shh and then as I pass the row of dolls, one of them turns its head to look after me. xD

I really want to go there ;_;

IDFC!

Number 4 if I ever won the lotto I'm going to all the abandoned top haunted places lol I just hope nothing follows me back home, every girl I been with thinks I'm kinda off for being into this kinda stuff haha

This stuff is so cool though!!

Yeah it is lol I like how creepy it can be and the fact that they're angry spirits most likely stuck there

The top one without a number. What architecture. The room looks as if it was great. Imagine what went on there. I'm sad the piano no longer gives enjoyment. Who played it?

Then the doll factory. Even though it's in Spain think of all the lost jobs. The average Joe going to work there. Then one day POOF your jobs are gone.

The top one is the Lee Plaza Hotel in the USA if you'd like to check it out. It's lovely architecture for sure. Just thought it'd make a cool cover photo. And yes it's quite sad, no longer an audience to play for.

And yeah that sucks. Cool place though.

Thanks for the info. I looked it up & the hotel is in Detroit, Michigan. I lived in Chicago.
      It is "hauntingly" eerie. There were some YouTube videos.
      I must be getting older. It makes me sad to see such beauty left to waste away.
      All of your pics are great! Why don't more people care?
      Times gone by :(

I think that's why I love abandoned places, it's all a little time capsule that ages like a human, I like that.

And you forgot the biggest and baddest of them all - CHERNOBYL

Hmm
    Sounds cool 😂 LOL
    Not actually haunted but creepy
    Good job cutie

You have the best mytakes! I learned a lot, which I was not aware of... like the town in France... great... I mean awful history that we should all know.

That vet school takes the cake #1... picked kittens... I couldn't even look...

The doll factory would be a great place for Halloween party...

you should write a book on this and provide some history, great coffee table, Dr. office book.

The one missing would be Chernobyl, but that is too boring.

There's so many to choose from I want to do a couple more takes like this about abandoned places but we'll see if I get time. Thank you :) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

What Girls Said 5

Oh, The Underwater City of Shi Cheng looks amazing!

I like to learn about these things... nice take!

I think wherever the photo at the top was taken would be a cool place to explore.

I think you like the same urban exploration websites I do. ;-)

Probably! I love urbex photos but am unable to go myself so I just spend my time looking at other peoples reports

Wowwww! Loved this👌 I'd visit all if I could, thanks for the new info girlie.