Do overweight or underweight people get picked on more? Which one gets more sympathy?

Look, I have always been underweight. It's hard to put on weight but I'm working on it. Hard. So tell me your opinion on this, no offense to anyone:

• Overweight
  • Underweight
  • Both get picked on evenly
  • They are just in different ways
Thanks for the replies. Just like @mesonfielde suggested, I have been asked that question more than once. by a school nurse. I was born early and am healthy, no problems. I do not have a disorder or anything. So things like that hurt me. I guess I could see your points on the overweight. Thanks again:)

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone is attacked lol

Ya sometimes bitches on gag try to fit shame me hahaha omg you can't make this shit up. Come at me chubby sloots, come the fuck at me.
    Sometimes you see attractive girls get attacked irl and on gag too from other girls. It's repulsive and pathetic to watch. The hot girls are "fake", the hot guys are "obsessed", etc. Always gonna be some jelly hater, always.

Most Helpful Girl

• I accidentally picked overweight. I think people are actually way overdoing this pro-fat propaganda as to not hurt anyones feelings and skinny women get picked on now, get told they're unhealthy. It's fucking bullshit.

What Guys Said 13

• I think overweight people get legitimately abused and picked on, while underweight people are just asked "are you eating properly?".

• Is it ever legitimate to abuse someone? I understand that you can be concerned for someone's health but you don't have to abuse them over it.

• Overweight, they stand out more so they attract more attention.

• It really depends, but people call underweight people things like anorexic, which does hurt, but it hurts people who legitamately have a disorder, and are trying to get better more, as in those bullies are just being offensive to more then just the person the're being mean to

• overweight, but underweight gets all the sympathy. if you are underweight people assume there is something is wrong with you, if you are overweight they assume you are just lazy

• Overweight I feel. Overweight people get often classified with 'gluttons'. Underweight people often are projected to be more sympathized with for malnutrition.

• Overweight people get picked on , but Skinny people get less sympathy. Like having a eating disorder is not a sickness only obesity is a sickness.

• I don't know. I'm not sure if they get picked on as much as they are warned/concerned by other people in terms of being healthy. Do you think it's best not to say anything and then they die an early death?

• I tend to think overweight people get picked on more.

• I'm also a bit on the skinny side. I find it difficult to gain weight but when I do gain weight it all goes to my stomach and then I'm skinny fat :/

• definitely overweight people

• Overweight definitely. People tend to feel sorry for underweight people

• As an overweight one I would definitly say Overweight.
    In my teenage years my self confidence was ruined by bullying

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Girls Said 8

• Overweight. Whilst underweight people do get picked on, there's a lot more people who find being underweight desirable in comparison to those who find being overweight desirable, so they generally get ridiculed less.

• I'd say overweight people. I've heard the craziest shit regarding how skinny I am "you look like a crackhead", "at least I have boobs, you're too thin to please a man", "I'm glad I don't starve myself to be skinny (as they look in my direction)", etc etc.

But I don't think it compares to what overweight people go through. They literally do get treated as second class citizens sometimes. I've had friends and family who were thin but ballooned up after pregnancy and couldn't shed the baby weight. They have mentioned how instead of having doors held open for them, people just let them slam in their faces etc.
    Basically, most of the thin shaming seems to be out of jealousy. Why even point out that you don't starve yourself to make you *feel* better for not being thin? I can eat more than most people because I have a fast metabolism lol
    "#EffYourBeautyStandards"? Ok lol many of the rude chubby women who say things like "real men go for meat not bones" or "if you don't like my size, it's because your dick is too small to please me" wouldn't be saying that if they weren't insecure about their size. You don't need to tear others down if you're happy with yourself.

While it shouldn't go either way, I feel they get most the comments, stares, etc.

• The hate is real on both sides, but I feel like overweight people get it worse. I've watched people treat overweight people like they're the scum of the earth. I HAVE been treated like I was the scum of the earth. I think that there's more sympathy for underweight people because people automatically place in the category of having an eating disorder.

I'm a perfect world no one would be shamed for the way they look.

• Everyone just fucked up!

• I feel like everyone is attacked and nobody should be, however I think overweight people have it worse. But I think its actually changing so that people are picking on thinner kids now because its becoming more normal and accepted to be bigger. Now that the "curvy" body shape is in, skinny kids are bearing the brunt of it.

• Skinny women is the ideal in society, yeah they may get comments like are you eating and stuff like that, but they're still fit and trim, are able to fit in any clothes they wish, less likely to be harassed and objectified by men, etc.

Overweight women get picked on much more, because anyone who is not skinny is deemed fat. That's why so many women worry about their weight so much.

• Overweight for sure.

• Being Underweight its more of a concern. I mean Anorexia or thinspo is real and glorifies not eating or throwing up food. their is a lot of people who follow this. Being fat , your essentially in most eyes seen as useless and disgusting. What people dont realize a weight issue is most likely an eating disorder just like being skinny and not eating or throwing up your food is a eating disorder. But being underweight is more sympathized vs being fat is dehumanizing.