• Ask
  • myTake

Random guys/girls add you on Facebook?

would you friend them?1. if they share any of the same networks as you2. if you have no mutual friends3. emphasis on the random. we've never met (don't know if we ever will in the future)-any or all of the aboveOnly asking because guys in the past have friended me even tho I've never met them before and we might share the same network.but we do go to the same school. not necessarily the same yearAs for me, I don't think I go around looking for people (who I don't know) to friend even if we are in the same network.How often do guys do that?And how often do girls do that?And do you usually accept? Hesitate at all?I'm guessing people only do that if they think that person is attractive, especially if that person has made their profile private/limited accessBut again, then I'm like what do you have to gain if you add this random person as your friend? access to their profile I guess, but not much else, unless you intend to contact that person in other ways such as message them or something

& do you ever feel weird if after you friended a person on FB & like a while later you actually meet them in person (but you don't have a lot of interactions generally)?
it's like we've..sort of met before. I know who you are..but I don't "really" know you.
maybe it's just me...
i did not realize so many people would comment on this. thanks to all who commented :)

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• Nope, I never accept friend requests from people I don't know or never met. If there are a few mutual friends, then maybe I'll accept them.I don't accept people I don't know, simply because, obviously, I have no idea of who they are, what they're like, or even if they are actually the person they claim to be on their profiles. Plus, what with ID theft being a big thing these days, I don't exactly like opening my Facebook information to those I don't know.A girl friend of mine would often get friend requests at least twice a day, and about 75% of them were random people looking for cyber sex and being general stalkers and creeps. I realize it's different for girls and guys in terms of attracting the weird ones, but it shows you just don't know what you're getting yourself into when you add someone unknown.

• Thanks for your answer!

What Guys Said 21

• Not really.

• A girl I've never met friended me; I saw she was a fan of my work, so I friended her. She does have many mutual friends (now that I think about it, I don't think she's ever seen me at a gig). She has EXTREMELY limited view of my profile. She's a bit clingy, and she has no idea of social graces, but I've never met her, she can't see anything but the basic information, and she can not write anything. If they're fans... and I've met them a couple of times, I've gone to school with them, or they're in a related field AND have mutual friends, I'll accept it. Sometimes I will take a wait and see approach; one girl I have yet to meet in person, but she is going to attend a group that I go to; as the group hasn't started for the Fall, I am waiting in order to get to know her a bit better first. But totally random? I doubt it. They'd better explain who they are first before I decide.

• Wooow. Who really cares? What's the big deal about friending people you don't know on facebook? I do it and get it all the time. It's really not much different than making new friends in person.

• Nope. I wouldn't add them.If we had a mutual friend, I'd ask them who the person was though.

• well it is a SOCIAL network.. so socialize.. or be exclusive w/e

• I'm all for it... When I do do it it has been in groups for meeting people randomly on facebook. I kind of think of chatrooms, and social sites as the new age pen pals. As the computer has taken over the pen and paper... We connect internationally to people we probably won't meet via other means. So I usually will accept it from random people, but if people don't ever talk to me or respond to anything... than it annoys me because why would they add me in the first place... So I'll generally delete them in that case so they're not just making it harder to see what is happening with people I do talk to.. Does that make sense?

• Yup. that's cool. don't you find it a bit of a hassle though to have to (remember to) delete that specific person if you really didn't want them to have access to your profile? I think I've added random people before just in hopes of meeting new people/broadening my network for professional purposes (benefits or whatever) and I don't bother to check if I've ever talked to them/ delete them if I haven't

• Yeh I suppose that's one of the consequences you deal with is remembering. THat is why I try not to put too sensitive of things on facebook at all. Even if only my friends are viewing it... Chances are though if they're not talking to you, they're not stalking you... although who knows.

• I do not add random people to mine, I have to know you first an even if we have a lot of mutual friends I still will not add you unless I know you.

• I think it may be different for guys than with girls, butthen again maybe not ni usually accept them because I don't really care. When I am on Facebook, I don't really care that much who adds me. Unless it's one of those fake profiles for p*rn sites.

• Just do it

• ask them who it is, even if it is a good looking person(could be a fake picture). you don't want people to be stalking you.

• If I were you, in which I am not, I won't accept the friend request. To me he is a deuce bag. But that's me...

• no I won't add them because I've got some photos that nobody can see them just friends can so I can't trust anybody unless I know them personally this is for guys and girls as wellif they got some mutual friends I may ask them to tell me if I accept or not(my rule to add friends is that I know them personally and trust them)

• Finally !I'm a Chinese guy living southwest China, in the past two days, I have been trying to make friends with you U.S people online. What a sad story, nobody talked to me. As for now, I find out why, and I think I should stop now...You people are the same to us. Nobody tend to talk to strangers, even online.P.SChinese can't browse twitter or facebook or myspace, there are firewalls built by the goverment.

• That's right! I was the one who thumbs down you! Get over it! Everyone in this whole world are the same. If you think what you are doing is creepy, chances are you are creepy to other people regardless nationality. Believe me I know because all my live I move around from countries to countries!

• You move around from countries to countries, but that can't change you from an idiot to a smarter dumb ass. I keep sitting at my desk in hinterland of China all the time, while I know how the world goes, because I know that before argue with myself again and again when I get any information, I could never get the truth. Do you know that?

• I get random girls adding me all the time. It gets sort of annoying, but I do add some and talk to them just to make sure there not creepy stalkers lol.

• DUDE! Put some shirt on! No one wants to see that, fer Christ Sake!

• I get random girls adding me all the time. It gets sort of annoying, but I do add some and talk to them just to make sure there creepy stalkers lol.

• I don't add ANY people I don't know on facebook I don't even add some people I kind of know on facebook

• well its only facebook, and if they stalk you or something just take them off your friends list,

• I get random girls all the time, I don't add them because I don't know them (made the mistake once and it was some girl say hay check out my naked pics, and it came up in my friends news feed, I'm friends with my mom) if I never meet you then I won't add you but I will consider it if we have a lot of friends in commo just due to the fact that I may one day meet them

• Facebook is kind of like Myspace now. Its all about knowing who you know. Or friending who you know. Facebook is more or less like a phone book directory except with more intimate knowledge of people.

• NO, NEVER ACCEPT, THEY ARE ALL ROBOTS THAT WILL ATTACK YOU AND YOUR COMPUTER. SOUCE: IT HAPPENED TO ME

• There have been some cases where I've accepted a friend request or two just because of networking. It's sort've awkward when they add you and don't say anything. After a while if they still don't say anything, I'll just remove them later. I think some people are just too shy to make "friends" (I really hate the way this word is always misused) irl. Most of the time, I get people from my college adding me. I'm sure we've seen each other around. There are also some people who like to collect the number of friends they have on fb/myspace because they have no life. If I believe they are one of them, I'll remove/reject immediately.

What Girls Said 22

• no...i like to add only those I know...

• Apparently someone who's a fan of adding random people decided to go down the line and thumbs down all our posts. Ha.

• I'll add them if we have a lot of friends in common (usually) or if I know who they are. Like, I'm friends with my cousin's wife even though I've never actually met her in person. I've never friend requested anyone that I don't know, though.

• majority of the time I won't add em.but when I first started up my account,there was this boy [ a year older than me ] who added me randomly.he wasn't in my network, didn't go to the same school as me...hell--he didn't even live in the same state lolbut 3 years later, he turned out to be a good friend whom I wish I could meet one day :/i think I just got lucky with him ;p

• the only people I have on my fb are people I have actually met, and like.

• Ew. It's weird when random people try to add me. I only add people that I actually know.

• Ugh I get fr from random guys all the time. I like to say I'm only friends with people I know but that's not true. I maybe have 20+ people whom I've never met. Yeah I feel awakward when I add some random guy, especially if he tries to fb chat me.

• If they are completely random, and we have no mutual friends, then I would definitely not add them. This really p***es me off! I ignore them but even then you get some who don't get the message! I wish they had a block them button like on MSN that would really help a lot. If we have mutual friends I will email them and ask who they are and email my friend to ask.

• no, don't ever. You don't want people you don't know stalking you. If you feel questionable about actually knowing them, send them a message asking them how they know you. My ex friends random girls just to jack off to their pics. There's a lot of creepy people out there

• Usually I don't accept, unless we have mutual friends (real friends- not just facebook friends I don't really talk to). If the guy sends a message I'd consider it, depends on the guy and the message he sent.

• Uhm, I wouldn't. I normally message that person and ask, "do I know you from somewhere?" most times they answer back and sometimes they don't. If I really can't remember them at all then I don't even bother asking and I just "ignore"

• If they are completely random, and we have no mutual friends, then I would definitely not friend them. If we have mutual friends, well then that is another story.

• i never accept people that I don't know, mainly becausei don't care "how their day was" or "what time they woke up."adding random people is more of a MySpace type thing.i don't have a fb anymore, I don't care for people to know about my life,but I did accept people who I went to school with and I never talked to.annnd then. I thought one day "wow I could careless with what you're doing with your day" and I went and deleted everyone I didn't know.I THINK IT'S ANNOYING. and no, lets not meet people over face book : ) lol

• sometimes I add them look at their pictures to make sure like ya know I didn't know them in like 2nd grade and if I don't know them at all I delete them and report them

• I've never done it, but I've accepted them as long as we have a few friends in common

• I don't add people I've never met. Period. It's not safe and really, there's no reason to add random people. Lots of guys have added me that I don't know and personally, I think it's creepy so I always ignore them. If you want more friends on facebook, which is why most people go around adding every cute person they see, then get out there and actually meet people! And THEN add them on facebook. Lol that's just what I think... I just don't see the point in it.

• aslong as there hot ACCEPT :P :)

• I don't usually do that. If I don't know them personally I would delete them after I added them.Now... there was a recent article in cosmo that says that: people stalk you!if you put on your status something like: going out all night partying, be back tomorrow...then the stalker will come to your place thinking you are out, and when they find you not there, they will break in and steal all your stuff. this is a true story. celebs have had this happen to them. you don't want this to happen. be careful of your facebook status updates AND who you have as a FRIEND because they may not be your friend.

• Woooh......i'll take care 4m now on!

• I'm very picky about my online security,so I only add people I know.I have all of my settings private...so nope

• i only add them if we have mutual friends or a common network at least, not city though lol that's too broad, but like workplace or school someone might know me and I don't wanna be a rude bitch and reject their request

• I kno a senior of mine whom I had sent request 2ce.......n she kicked it 2ce!we both know that we both are in same colg......but when it comes to fb....she behaves like this!

• Awww! she sounds too full of herself then, not worth it at all!

• nope. on my personal page, no way. no reason to add strangers. I'm there for close family and friends only. I don't see it as a "dating site". that's what destroyed MySpace along with the spam.

• I won't add them unless I am sure we've met in person, and if I run into them and we act like strangers to each other, I just remove them from my list. You have no obligation to entertain a complete stranger on facebook.

• i would add someone if they lived in the same area as meif we had mutual friendsor if he was cutei've been added by people that I don't know, I just assumed maybe we went to school or something and I didn't really know them like that