Did I just make the biggest mistake of my life by leaving her?

I was dating her for 3 years. She was everything I could've asked for. I was madly in love with her when we met.

But by the end of the relationship, my love changed to a different kind. I loved her because she was a part of my life, but I wasn't in love with her like I used to be.

Things changed and I was surrounded by temptation. I was weak and at one point even tried to cheat on her, but was only stopped because the girl didn't want to sleep with a taken man. There was a lot of women talking to me. I started getting feelings for someone else in my school.

I decided that she didn't deserve that kind of treatment, and I tried to let her down softly. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I came clean on everything, but even after all that, she still said she loves me and wants to make it work.

She is the most caring, sweet, compassionate, and loving woman in the world, but for some reason I wasn't satisfied. Did I just lose the best thing that ever happened to me?

I've never felt so heartbroken before, and I'm the one who broke up with her. She deserves someone way better.

I feel sick to my stomach and depressed. I just don't know what the hell I'm doing anymore.

41

Most Helpful Guy

• "Of your life?" No... no, no, far from it, no. Despite how it might feel, she is far from the best thing to ever happen to you. Did you do wrong here? Yes, by wanting to cheat on her -- that is very wrong. Breaking up with her, however, I don't think that was wrong or a mistake.

First, allow me to console you by letting you know that yes, you have found a wonderful and loving lady of extraordinary quality, but she is far from the only one on the planet, and among the others out there, there ARE ladies who would be willing to go out and even fall in love with you after a fantastic friendship.

With that said, you need to get a handle on yourself. It is not good to want other ladies, but it is also not unnatural. What's important is how we react to such temptation. Giving in to such desires, we tell our brain that it's okay and permissible to do such things, especially if you aren't caught, and the temptation is strengthened.

However, I WILL say that it's kind of her to want to make things continue to work. I would say give yourselves some time apart and examine your feelings towards her. A relationship can only work when BOTH parties work cooperatively. If you want her back for the things she does for you and how she makes you feel and NOT for genuinely caring for her, it's likely she's not the one for you.

Continue to be apologetic and kind to her. She deserves that. I wish you well wherever your lives take you!

• Thanks for your input.