Are breakups worse than death in a way?

Most people would be quick to say, "Death is worse," but I've heard the argument that breakups might be harder because it's harder to let go due to the actual person still being alive.

What about breakups vs divorce? I have heard even the argument that a breakup might be worse than divorce because with a divorce, the pain is more focused on the money, children, etc, but with breakups, the pain is more focused on missing the good memories and all that infatuation/lovey-dovey stuff you want back.

44

Most Helpful Girl

• I have to disagree. Death is knowing that no matter what you do/say, you'll never see that person's face again.

Although you will suffer/cry/hurt during a break up or divorce, there are always chances of getting back together or even remaining friends. You could always look on some sort of social media and see how your ex-lover is doing in life,..

with death, you can't do that.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • "Although you will suffer/cry/hurt during a break up or divorce, there are always chances of getting back together or even remaining friends. You could always look on some sort of social media and see how your ex-lover is doing in life,.."

But see that's the thing. Most of the time that's false hope that makes it harder to let go.

• I would rather deal with false hope than to deal with the reality of that person being 6 feet under.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is ridiculous to ask, I have been broken up with a girl, and my dad had died... No comparison..
    One is true pain.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE