Are breakups worse than death in a way?

Most people would be quick to say, "Death is worse," but I've heard the argument that breakups might be harder because it's harder to let go due to the actual person still being alive.

What about breakups vs divorce? I have heard even the argument that a breakup might be worse than divorce because with a divorce, the pain is more focused on the money, children, etc, but with breakups, the pain is more focused on missing the good memories and all that infatuation/lovey-dovey stuff you want back.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I have to disagree. Death is knowing that no matter what you do/say, you'll never see that person's face again.

Although you will suffer/cry/hurt during a break up or divorce, there are always chances of getting back together or even remaining friends. You could always look on some sort of social media and see how your ex-lover is doing in life,..

with death, you can't do that.

0|2
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • "Although you will suffer/cry/hurt during a break up or divorce, there are always chances of getting back together or even remaining friends. You could always look on some sort of social media and see how your ex-lover is doing in life,.."

But see that's the thing. Most of the time that's false hope that makes it harder to let go.

• I would rather deal with false hope than to deal with the reality of that person being 6 feet under.

Most Helpful Guy

• This is ridiculous to ask, I have been broken up with a girl, and my dad had died... No comparison..
    One is true pain.

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 3

• Death is much worse.
    Your ex will still be roaming this earth and there are ways to get in contact with them.

0|0
    0|0
  • death is worse. because after a breakup you might at least have a chance to get back together but death you might never be able to move on

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah, but at the same time, it may be harder to move on from a breakup because of that lingering false hope.

• but also if a person really wanna move on, they will be able to, but death... they just simply won't exist anymore... even if a person is angry at their ex, they might work out their differences and become friends. but if they died...

• It depends on how much you loved that person and what they did and how they left.

0|0
    0|0
    • Even though I don't care about my ex bf. I would still be saddened and upset by his death

What Guys Said 3

• You can have hundred break up but you have 1 life only

It's weird to compare death to break up

0|1
    0|0
    • I meant death of another person and the pain of that.

• It depend on the situation if she was good girl of cource and no doubt the death is the worst thing it depend on the situation

• I dont think its a weird comparison because when someone breaks up with you, they have rejected you. By choice. Death isn't by choice and you don't have to deal with what that persons departure says about you.

I'm not saying either is better or worse... I'm just here to say its a somewhat valid comparison

• No.

Nobody who has had a partner die, or gone through a divorce, has suggested it wasn't as bad as a breakup, ever.

0|0
    0|0
  • nope... breakups suck but you can always get over them some just are harder than others

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes