Ex deleted me from social media?

So I broke up with my ex a few weeks ago. It seemed mutual, but he wanted to try to make things work between us, even though I didn't. He was a great guy, but we didn't have much in common. A few days later he removed me from all social media. He also removed my family members. I chalked it up to him needing space to move on, and not wanting reminders of us popping up (me posting). But, now I'm worried that he hates me. He hasn't called or texted since the break-up. I've been going out and having fun, and I think he might have deleted me because he knew I would, and doesn't want to see any pictures that he probably thought I would post. Are there other reasons why an ex would remove you from social media? Does him removing me pretty much mean getting back together isn't an option?

43

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say that you're right in your guess thhat he is protecting himself. You made it pretty clear that he has no choice but to get over you. He wanted to make things work but you didn't, which is not at all wrong of you. You're allowed to make those decisions if it just isn't working anymore. The problem is that it is much harder, if not impossible, to get over someone when they are always around. It doesn't matter if they are around in person or around online, if you can see them then you are compelled to look and that compulsion is cancerous. You need to separate yourself from that person in order to grieve over their loss, which in turn allows you to heal and to fill the gaps in your life.

What he is doing makes sense for him. Hating you doesn't come into it. Besides which, hate is very much like love anyway, it's an emotion born of obsession. If you hate someone then you are dedicating emotion to them. If he hated you he would not be over you. The moment that you don't affect his day or his emotions is the day that he is over you. I would very much doubt that he's there yet, he's probably a long way off that.

Most Helpful Girl

• 1. You're correct in thinking that he probably removed you to get space, and to not be constantly reminded of you. This is usually the first thing people recommend to others who have just gone through a break up. It helps you move on when you remove them.
    2. Just because he removed you it doesn't mean he hates you. He just wants to get over you.
    3. With so little back information, it's hard to say if there are any other possible explanations as to why he removed you, other than the obvious fact that he wants to move on.
    4. "Does him removing me pretty much mean getting back together isn't an option?" I'm just wondering why you're even asking such a question when you're the one who broke up with him, you're the one who didn't want to make things work and you're the one who feels like you didn't have much in common?
    5. It's pretty obvious why he hasn't called or texted, he seems like the kind of guy who doesn't want to keep chasing someone after he gets rejected, and that's good. That means he has some self-respect and also knows when it's worth it and when it's not. Clearly chasing after someone who has broken up with you and doesn't want to try to make things work, is not worth it. A no is a no.

• Just wanted to respond to a few of the points, since your insight is incredible.
      3. It wasn't really a messy break-up. We didn't have a lot in common, but he wanted to fix that by trying some of the things I did. I don't know why, but I just didn't think he would enjoy partying and drinking as much as I do. So, I said no - even though I told him we could talk about making things work... I guess I changed my mind, last minute.

4. I think I'm starting to regret it. Of the handful of guys I've dated, he is the only one who was husband material. He treated me with respect, never pushed me to do anything before I was ready, apologized if he did something he felt was wrong, and was 100% transparent and honest with me.