Do guys not like being called 'cute'?

I call my boyfriend cute all the time, he seems to not be bothered by it. But my ex hated it, do you guys hate being called cute?

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• Some girls use 'cute' to mean 'sweet in a naively innocent sort of way that I want to hug but would never ever fool around with'. That would be a bad thing.

Others use 'cute' as their standard word for 'attractive'. That is a good thing.

2|6
    0|0
  • some guys don't like to be called cute. The word "cute" can be used to insult a mans masculinity. ... maybe I should put this in terms that'd be easier to understand... When you call a man cute, he'll think that you're going to pinch the cheeks on his face and such. It's like calling a man a boy. Inside we think you're trying to insult us.

Don't use the word cute unless your with your friends, talking about kids, looking at clothes, or with a pet but don't call your boyfriend that. Instead you should just call him babe, honey, hun, etc.

2|2
    1|0

Most Helpful Girl

• It seems like guys often don't like it. They take it as rejection or a bad thing when it's actually supposed to be a good thing. If you two are close or he has told you that he doesn't mind, then I wouldn't worry about it.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 108

• I don't mind from a girlfriend or wife but I find that very confusing when I was a bachelor. It's among the most ambiguous physical compliments I can get, since I don't know if the girl wants to sleep with or just cuddle. I prefer a less ambiguous compliment which makes intentions a little bit more clear, "You have a nice bod. I want to sleep with you sometime."

1|0
    0|0
    • With that last type of compliment, I feel like the intentions are clear and that there is at least an 85% chance that the girl wants to sleep with me.

• I think an even better compliment is like, "You have a nice bod. I want to sleep with you sometime. No really, I'm not joking. I'll sleep with you right now if you want. I'm dead serious. I swear on my mother's grave."

With that type of compliment, I feel like there is at least a 95% chance that the girl wants to sleep with me.

• 😂lol, but I get what u mean. U prefer a very direct compliment👌

• I don't like being called cute. If a woman said something I did or said was cute, that's fine. But I'm an adult man, puppies and my niece are "cute". I'd rather be called hot, handsome, sexy. Just not cute

1|1
    0|0
  • It can sound as if you are referring him to as childish, so you might just want to refer him to it in private, but most of the time, guys will take it as a compliment and not react, but you do get the ones who feel as if its an attack on their manliness lol,x

0|0
    0|0
  • Im used to it. Not be cocky. Been called boo, boo boo, cute, handsome, sweet, kind, the bomb. com, and all that. I dont see it having any meaning so its okay.

0|0
    0|0
  • Like you already noticed, it strongly depends on the guy. Some may like it, some will hate it. It wouldn't bother me, but I don't particularly love to be called like that 10x a day, every day.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's nice but sometimes it leaves some ambiguity.
    "Does she mean that she likes the way I look or is she just being polite or does she mean it in the "You're a cute person but I'm not into you" way"

1|0
    0|0
  • Absolutely! Anything that let's you him feel appreciated, it boosts his confidence and let's him know your into him

Things personally like: hot, cute, handsome (sometimes) sexy, really good, or compliment one thing about looks soft hair etc.

Things I dont like: papi, swell, anything that's not reall a compliment

1|0
    0|0
  • no not really but I kinda like being called big as in sizable because I'm 6' 2" kinda skinny but not a shriveled up rasin I weigh about 125-130... kilos (no not really) but I have mildy broad shoulders I just like being sort of bigger than girls I like to imagine that they look up to me sorta

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm undecided on that. Technically it should be a compliment. But at times if you are called cute but never hot, or anything else, makes you wonder if yo are attractive enough for women to hook up with you lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Works for me! But, some guys, especially gay bashers, hate it because they think it might instantly turn them gay.

0|0
    0|0
  • There are guys who can't take cute as a compliment. I can tell you that I'd take being called cute as a compliment.

This is because girls who call me cute usually have sex with me.

Would you like it if men called you handsome? :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't mind being called cute. I would actually say I sometimes prefer being called cute. Don't know why though 😅

1|0
    0|0
  • We do like being called cute in situations like these, in a sincere way, some prefer may hide their joy under layers of manhood... And as long as it is not in a sarcastic way, yes, we love it... Personally I blush and put my head down

1|0
    0|0
  • i did like being called cute until i was told "you're cute, but he's attractive" but now i like it again cause i don't hear it often... or at all really

0|0
    0|0
  • It okay if it's family member to family member but when a guy asks a girl out and she says he is cute that's like saying ultimate friendzone for you but it's different in a relationship

1|0
    0|0
  • If its because you are attracted to him, I dont think there is problem, when its you see him like little brother, problem begins.
    But, the word you should always avoid is nice.

1|0
    0|0
  • Well ,Many guys think that being called cute is a girly thing

but I think , A compliment is a compliment .

doesn't matter from whom it's coming.. :)

0|0
    0|0
  • I like being called cute because it boosts my self confidence just a little. It makes me think that I might get a girlfriend soon.

1|0
    0|0
  • It depends on how the girl says it. If she says "aww you're cute" then I wouldn't like that. But if a girl said it like in a flirty way like "you're cute ;)" then I would like it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Honestly Cute seems to be the kind I'd guy who gets stuck in friend zone. I am shy so if I were called cute it would only reemphisize my insecurities and stuff.

0|0
    0|0
  • I get called that a lot. But i have been abstinent for a very long time so all i would think is thats a nice compliment and would just keep walking.

1|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the connotation and who's saying it, some people saying it would really bug me others (my mom, girlfriend, sister, or close friend) would not

0|0
    0|0
  • Some guys are so insecure that unless they are called "hot" or "sexy", they think said girl doesn't find him sexually desirable!

0|0
    0|0
    • Btw I consider being called cute as a low-key way of her saying that I'm attractive... not many girls are bold enough to tell a guy in a public setting with other people around that a guy is sexy or hot! :-P

• I used to have a problem with it but then my girlfriend explained that she means it in a different way to how I take it. Cute, in a sexual way, not cute in a kitten way.

0|0
    0|0
  • Guys are more used to trying to get to be told as "hot".

I don't really care because I'm taken and she likes me for what we do.

0|0
    0|0
  • Often it means that the girl doesn't take the guy seriously, which is not really a compliment.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm kinda okay with that today, though many guys absolutely aren't.
    I think the reasons are often a bit more complex than that it's just an offence to his fragile and rigid masculinity though.

I was a bit allergic to this myself actually but I attribute it mainly to shit school teachers (who were always female). If you did good in school as a boy, they acknowledged you but only in a smothering motherly kind of way. A schoolboy who's doing his homework, don't disrupt class and even takes some responsibility to help out is called cute by that teacher.

Instead of getting adult respect, you get reduced to an obedient pet, which is absolutely sickening. And as for that motherly crap, we only wanted it from our actual mothers.

I think that's one lesser reason. A very tangential one but at least my own aversion to it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Actually we much prefer hot to cute... but that's fine if we know calling us cute means your attraction

1|0
    0|0
  • Ill take any compliment i can. I rarely get them too but thats just how life as an unattractive man is.

0|0
    0|0
    • Aw pls don't think so lowly of urself. Those girls who think that will simply never know what they're missing out on.

• Show All
    • Yh, I like that take, people will see it beauty within but it still doesn't mean that u should deem urself unattractive. If u have a high self esteem people will count that as attractive and no that's not the same as being egoistic. Just have more confidence in the way u look, everyone has flaws👌

• Building self esteem takes time. Maybe one day i can view myself as somewhat desireable.

• Hell no , it's synonym of "You're ugly but you are a nice dude" or "I really like you , I want to be your friend , only friend , not anything else "

0|0
    0|1
  • Show more from Guys

What Girls Said 6

• Men and women think in different terms. Girls (and even ladies) like it if you call 'em cute or such. On the other hand, men prefer some thing that boosts their masculinity (no offense intended here) like he'd like if you call him "sugar daddy" or "007(Bond)" cause they're MANLY bold and have strong personalities... In my opinion, no guy ever likes to be compared to a child or a puppy (although you find him innocent and adorable), if put in exaggeration - "cute" sounds girlish and childish...

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on the guy. My boyfriend doesn't mind being called cute. He's manly but not like a super super macho guy, so the word cute doesn't offend him like it might othre men. However I've never called him cute in front of a whole bunch of people or his guy friends. I only do so when texting, if we're alone, or with super close friends. He would probably get embarrassed if I called him cute in a public mostly male setting tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • interesting, I don't know, I've always wondered this too

0|0
    0|0
  • They think its unmanly

1|0
    0|0
  • i think in some occasions, why not?

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes