Who texts first after the first date?

My roommate went on a date with a guy from tinder yesterday and now she doesn't know if she's supposed to wait for him to text her or for her to text him first thanking him. Help?

• Girl
  • Guy
  • I don't know/depends/answers
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

108

Most Helpful Guy

• Doesn't matter. If you both like each other, then why wait? I mean surely you don't gotta smother someone and blow up their phone, but it's bullshit mind games like these with texting rules that ruin dating.

Let's say you have a good date and one party suggests hanging out again and says they had a good time. It's like if you text 1-3 days after the date, you're too clingy or overly interested which is bullshit especially if it's a simple hey.

If you wait any longer, you appear uninterested. I left high school a long time ago. I have no patience for that bullshit.

Most Helpful Girl

• Shit like this is why I absolutely hate dating. The general rule is text after 3 days to arrange a next date. If he hasn't text by then she should text him. I hate these bullshit rules but they're what we're told to do.

What Guys Said 7

• I find there's a stigma with this which is bullshit. if you text to quick your clingy and needy, if you wait to text to long your uninterested. and what complicates it more is the individual person. I find its easier to end the night with a goodnight text something along the lines of " I had a good time, let me know if your free next week." (spin it to the situation) this way you state you enjoyed it don't expose yourself and or coming off as crazy but also allow the other person space and it's now in their court.

• Who cares? If she wants to text, then go for it.

• I'd probably wait until the next night if she didn't first. Texting together for the very first time starting with me would be very nervous, but if she doesn't do it first after roughly 24h I'd feel I pretty much have to if I didn't want her to feel ignored.

• there's no rule on who should first at least there shouldn't be if if you want to text talk then just fucking text first

• if he paid for her, she should at least text him first. i

• if you don't want to wait, then don't

• Whoever wants to

What Girls Said 9

• If she wants to text him, then she should. No point in waiting around.

• Er you don't always have to wait for him to text first, if I like a guy, I would make the move and just text first, get a convo going. But if it's obvious he doesn't wanna talk and all (it's pretty obvious) then I just stop and let him talk to me when he wants. And I'll decide if I wanna continue things.

• what would she do if she was a lesbian? there's no rule based on sex. i think whoever was asked out should text first as an appreciation and effort. otherwise, the less shy i suppose.

• Either one works in my opinion

• Doesn't matter.

• There's no rules, if you want to text him text him

• I always make my dates text me that they made it home safe. Or text them that I did.

• always the man

• I think whoever asked for the date SHOULD'T be the first to text. So if a guy asked then the girl is responsible for the text by thanking him for the great night, etc. etc.