Would you date someone with the same name as your ex or previous crush?

Would you date someone with the same name as your ex or previous crush?#TheExNameGameReborn its funny, i asked this question back in like 2016 and now I've fallen victim again. Lol i always endup liking someone and then finding out they have the same name as a guy i used to like. there's been like so many named Nate, Parker, Des, Shawn, Bo, Josh, Ty, Matthew, Cody, Patrick, Brandon, James, Robbie, or Charles. There's got to to be at least 3 of each lol. I mean are these names really that common or am i just destined to end up with one. By the way, only one name above was an ex-bf, the rest are ex-crushes haha. But Even worse, i literally give em descriptive nicknames just to tell em apart when talking about them with friends: Example Nerdy-Nate, SpringBreak-Nate, ForgetMe-Nate, JustHadtoBeGay-Nate. Smh lol.
  • I would. Its not their fault thats their name.
    Vote A
  • I wouldn't. Its too weird.
    Vote B
  • I am or already have.
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Lol My name is Des. I met a Des in the early 2000s and he liked me but i didn't like him. Then i met a Des in 2008. I didn't like him at first but we ended up dating and now he's my ex. I met another Des in 2014 and we were gonna date but that didn't happen. Now im dating a Des as of mid-2017 :D Hope we marryyyy cause if not, im absolutely done with #TheManyDesses

2|1

Most Helpful Guys

• One of the first girls I talked too but never dated in HS was name Katelyn. Later in HS I ended up dating a girl name Kaitlin... flash forward 10 years and I'm currently talking to a girl named Kaitlyn. The first one went by Kate, the second one went by Kaitlin, and the third one goes by Kaitie. So, all the same named, all spelled differently, and all went by different nicknames.

2|0
    0|0
  • I did actually. One of my greatest love's name was Kitty Catherine. After her my next date was named Kitty, and my next girlfriend was named Catherine. For my luck, my present crush and date is called Judy. :)

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girls

• Hahaha I loved your story, des ๐Ÿ˜‚
    And about your question, I think I wouldn't mind dating a person with the same name as my ex or previous crush. It's not his fault he got the same name ๐Ÿ˜‚ and it's not everyday I get a good guy to ask me out, so I can't be picky ya know ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • Hell no haha a month ago I approached this guy who had the same name and I was like"oh I have to go" lol

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Lol, 2/3 of my boyfriends had the same name, and I was seeing a third person by that name as well, but we weren't actually dating. ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|2
    0|0
    • Lmao you're my twin! The first Des i met liked me but i didn't like him. The 2nd Des i met became my ex. The 3rd Des i met liked me and i liked him yet he ghosted me. The 4th Des is my current boyfriend lol

• Show All
    • Dang same middle name

• Lol - I knew a very good looking and virtuous doctor who married a woman with the same name as his sister! Even before he got into med school - he always had dozens of girls chasing after him.

1|0
    0|0
  • Idgaf what my new beau's name is. My ex belongs in the past. Ex who?

1|0
    0|0
  • I had a crush on someone, but he didn't like me back
    I got over him, and now I'm crushing on another guy with the same name
    Lol, but this guy likes me back
    I don't compare them to each other bc it just doesn't make sense to me. they're so different.

1|0
    0|0
    • Lol i understand. I kinda went through the same. Haha read the update

• Sure. Her name has nothing to do with how I feel about her.
    Also, I don't hate my exes. I don't hate those names. I'm not scarred from being around those names ever again.
    This would be a complete non issue.

1|0
    0|0
    • That's weird because I've never known anyone named "Des" in my entire life and you are a Des and have dated two or three people named Des?

• Lol well all our Desses are short for something. Mine is a girl name and their Des are all short for the same name

• Yeah, I would. Funny story, a woman I knew in high school dated a guy named Keith for the longest time, then they broke up and she ended up dating the only other guy named Keith in the whole school. They are now married.

1|0
    0|0
  • Can't say for sure since I've been single all this while (Yep, I'm 30). But yes, my experience with any girls who's name starts with the alphabet S has never been good lol

1|0
    0|0
  • "Sorry, this isn't going to work."

"What? Why not?"

"I don't like your name. It brings up bad memories."

"WTF?"

There's no way that conversation ends well, and even if it did, I'd still walk away feeling like a dick.

1|0
    0|0
    • I dont think its anything wrong with that

• Beraking up with someone because of their name is more superficial than breaking up with them because they're ugly.

• At least with their name you can give them a nickname so you don't have to call them your ex's name.

• Someone shares the name of a certain ex girlfriend? Yes, I probably wouldn't go out with them. But that's because I've had a lot of issues with girls with that name; not just exes. The shortened version could be male or female. So I've had issues with both girls and boys with the same shortened name. So I'd avoid just because that name seems to be a cosmic joke or bad omen for me. Not just because of an ex.

For a crush? I doubt it. It'd be too limiting, as I've had a lot of crushes since early high school. Take a typical girl's name, and I've probably had a crush on a girl with that name. So not on crushes.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not a problem. Many names are common and it can't be avoided. If someone had a name that really was painful for me. I would use a cute nickname for that person, or a variation of that name. i. e. Rebecca=Becky, Michelle=Chelle or Shelly. Of course, this is if the other person likes it.

1|0
    0|0
  • On the contrary, it's better, it avoids any risk of accidentally calling her by the name of my ex ๐Ÿ˜„
    (ps: not because I still care about my ex but out of pure habit)

1|0
    0|0
  • i would be very cautious. i know it's not rational but I seem to have trouble when people have the same name. like they are drama too usually so i try to steer clear

1|0
    0|0
  • Only Ex I got is a girl named Lanessa, and yeah I would cause I think that's a pretty name..

2|0
    0|0
  • My ex used to have the same name as my childhood bully who caused me a lot of trauma. Yet, I loved him like crazy.

1|0
    0|0
    • Omg no i couldnt handle that

• Not just my bully even his family caused such a thing that dad had to call the police. Later when his parents finally apologized to not get arrested dad forgave them. ๐Ÿ˜‘

And I was in crazy love with a guy of the same name ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Yup it may feel a bit weird at first but it would be unfair to turn away a good person because of your own past relationship problems

1|0
    0|0
    • Show All
    • But fr give hima chance hopefully he'll grow on you

• Oh my boyfriend and i have been together 10 months. Im not worried about him haha. I mean i was like day 1 but i got over it that quick. I just asked this question to see what others would do. And lol we already have our baby names. They start with Kโ€™s

• i mean me and my exes did not have a good ending so that name in my head is (unfairly i might add) associated with them and those feelings so for me id have to go with no.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure, It 's not their fault. Can't think of any crushes that I've had that had the same name though.

1|0
    0|0
  • It makes a great cover when you accidentally blurt out your exโ€™s name. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
    • Good one lol

• Show All
    • Real story was on top of one my ex girls. Her name was Jen for short don't wanna give away her real. Suddenly as we were doing it I start calling her by old ex name Sarah. Lol she laughed it off. But I did second time another night she bitch slapped me so hard. Lol I got a bruse. Said I was a dog she left told me not to call her again lol.

• @mac_daddy416 yea sarah and jen are nun alike ๐Ÿ˜’

• Iโ€™ve dated two guys named Tom in my life and my boyfriend says Iโ€™m his third Sarah. Lol.

1|0
    0|0
  • ya it makes no difference to me
    how does her name change anything lol

you all superstitious ๐Ÿ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • My ex had a very common name (I know at least 10 people with the same name and I'm not social). So I don't think its a huge deal.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, no problems unless I have an ex. I'd probably have a nickname for them so, it's just replacing the wrong person with the right one.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would not, I think the thought of my ex would come up and that would be a turnoff. It'd be like Usher song "You Remind Me"

1|0
    0|0
    • Haha yea im dating Des #3 and tryin not to think like that but i catch myself comparing them sometimes

• You mean to tell me that Bitch I Never Want to See Again is a common name?

2|0
    0|0
  • It really doesn't matter. It has nothing to do with my ex or the person at the present time. It's just a name, I would be surpised if anyone refused to date someone for such a minor thing.

1|0
    0|0
  • This will sound really funny but my ex of 2 years, whom i dearly loved but had to break up because of distance in the last couple months, dated someone with the same name. It's funny because we both are from the same country, and our name is really really rare. Scary part is she looked like me only i have never dyed my hair, and she had some lightning and shadows in her hair. Exactly the same glasses and all. They dated shortly. How I know is of course I stalked him a bit on social media 2-3 months into the breakup and I asked our closest common friend.

I also dated someone with the same name. Actually 2 Brandon's 2 Tyler's but they are everywhere like very common names so... You can't help or escape. Lol. So I would date I wouldn't mind.

1|0
    0|0
  • My ex's names are common as hell. Last guy I was into, not so much. But it wouldn't matter.

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course haha
    Actually 2 of my main love interests had the same name.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes. I would be much more freaked out if they had the same name as a close female relative of mine.

2|0
    0|0
  • Actually brings back some memories. Not that it's a bad thing, but a familiar feeling.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would date him I wouldn't care. Your story is so funny I must say. Lol :-D

1|0
    0|0
  • I always fall for Jane... its always Jane. So yeah i would.

1|0
    0|0
  • It may take a bit to adjust to but I'm not going to not date someone based off of there name.

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure I would. Its not their fault that's their name.

1|0
    0|0
  • I would, because they are not the same person. Their name is just their name. XD

1|0
    0|0
  • well my boyfriend has the same name as my brother lmfao
    but theyre two completely different people lmao and that doesn't phase me.
    so I think id be ok with it lol

1|0
    0|0
  • I would

The only thing that would make a name odd for me in a relationship would be if the guyโ€™s name is the same as my brotherโ€™s. Imagine how awkward sex and other intimate things would be lol ๐Ÿ˜†

1|0
    0|0
  • Of course as long as she doesnโ€™t share the same tendencies as my ex then weโ€™re good

1|0
    0|0
  • In the heat of passion and while screaming their name you have at least 1 in 4 chance of getting it right. Hell that's 25% odds, not bad !!

1|0
    0|0
  • At least you wouldn't have to worry about screaming out the wrong name!

2|1
    0|0
  • Absolutely... that way if you call out your ex's name during sex, you're still ok ! :)

1|0
    0|0
  • Sure, a coincidence is a coincidence :D
    The person counts and nothing else!

1|0
    0|0
  • If it's a former crush I would but if it was an ex than I might not

1|1
    0|0
  • Yeah, a name's just a name, and besides, it would help alleviate the memories of the past.

1|0
    0|0
  • Yes, who gives a shit? It's just a name, they aren't the same person.

1|0
    0|0
  • That's not something that I can control lol and don't let one rotten apple ruin the rest

1|0
    0|0
  • i would, who cares, after her the next gyal waiting

1|1
    0|0
  • Definitely... a name is just a name and doesn't define personality traits

1|1
    0|0
  • Not a persons fault if they have the same first name as an ex of yours.

1|0
    0|0
  • That wouldn't be a problem. I can't judge someone based on the name they were given.

1|0
    0|0
Show More

Recommended myTakes