Some Reasons Why the Unemployed... Are Still Unemployed

So, I have been unemployed for a little over a year now and I just thought that I would share some of the experiences that I have encountered and the MANY problems and discrepancies with job-hunting, employers and the job market in general.

1) "Falsely advertising" a job position.

Some reasons why the unemployed...are still unemployed.

Lately, I have found that many employers love doing this...especially if they have a high-turnover rate, or they have a hard time filling the position. Instead of providing a THOROUGH and CLEAR job description, they will sometimes only provide 3-4 bullet points. Then once you're on the job and not comfortable with certain aspects of the position, you can barely even refer back to the job description because there isn't one! Then it's as if they try to bait you to not leave when you are something COMPLETELY different from what you signed up for!

They sometimes only will provide qualifications, or ask "yes" and "no" questions. For example:

Knight Castor Consulting, Inc. *Why can't I find your company online?!*

Family owned and operated since 1899! *What exactly is this supposed to tell me?!*

$45,000 to $55,000 Annually *Really now??*

Are you hardworking? Driven? Determined? A new graduate? Looking for new opportunities? Knight Castor Consulting, Inc. may be for you!!!! We need who people are:

•Willing to work independently and within a team
•Trustworthy, honest and dependable
•Able to work in a fast paced, high energy environment
•Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
•Polite and friendly

APPLY TODAY!!!!! NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!!!!

2) Job benefits that aren't actually "benefits".

It's perfectly normal to look into a company's benefits before you even consider applying for the company. Lots of company use their benefits as a prime selling point to attract new employees. However, when you list the most ridiculous benefits on your company website...It wards people away.

"Direct Deposit" is NOT a marketable benefit! Nearly every company does this! That's like saying: "One of the MANY benefits our company offers is a beautiful thing called a paycheck you receive every two weeks.. Isn't that just great??!" Paying me for the services I provide to your company is not a "benefit"...It's a REQUIREMENT.

"Free Lunches" or "Restaurant Discounts" is also NOT a marketable benefit. No, I will pass on the free soup and salad in the company cafeteria. I will also pass on the 5% percent discount at Chili's, thank you very much. These meager benefits will not persuade me to choose your company over the much more reasonable company.

Don't even get me started on companies that list "training" as a benefit.

3) Employers that hire the first person who applies.

Nothing annoys me more than employers that just hire the first person they interview, instead of interviewing AT LEAST 10-15 candidates. I remember this one instance where I was scheduled for a phone interview and once the employer was on the phone, they told me: "I'm so disappointed Knight Castor, they just filled the position last night! However, we really liked you and wanted to keep you ON FILE.." Are you serious? You only posted the job to your company website YESTERDAY. More specifically, 12 HOURS AGO. When did you interview this OTHER candidate? 4 o'clock in the morning?!

4) Employers that ask inappropriate, or dumb questions during an interview.

I remember this one interview I had where the supervisor didn't even ask me any questions regarding my skill set, experience, education or even situational questions! This is essentially how the interview went:

Hello, Knight Castor! I will give you a brief overview of the company, details of the position and then ask you some basic questions okay?

Me: Okay!

*After she gives me a brief overview of the company and details of the position...she then proceeds into the line of "questioning"*

So, were you hoping for full-time, or part-time?

Me: I am okay with both, but I would definitely prefer a full-time position.

Are you currently in school at the moment?

Me: No, not at the moment. I am currently on summer break, but I will be going back to college in the fall.

Are you currently employed? How will you balance college and a full-time job?

No. I'm not employed at the moment. When college reopens in the fall, I can always schedule my courses around my employment, or just take online courses.

Okay. If you're not employed...How are you paying your bills?

Me: Well...I currently live with my parents. Um...I have my own personal savings that I have accumulated over the years from past employments. I also get a little extra money from my student loan checks at the end of the spring and fall college semesters.

Okay, thank you! We are currently interviewing other candidates as well, but will be in contact if you're chosen. Thank you!

Me: Thank you! Have a good day.

In case you guys couldn't point out the stupid and inappropriate question...It was the one where she asked me how I pay my bills. I have never been so floored, unprepared and offended by a question in all my days of living. That's not something you ask a person in an interview! I know all of you probably have been asked much worse questions than this, but I just felt VERY offended by this question. Also, no...they did not contact me again.

5) Employers that take FOREVER and I mean FOREVER to start hiring candidates

I think most of you know what I'm talking about here. I hope someone with some Human Resources background can shed some light on this, but until then...I will continue to complain about this. Have you ever noticed companies that have 300+ positions open..but, never seem to be actually hiring candidates? They never seem to stop posting openings...but, never fill them? Some of these positions are from last year...sometimes even two years ago.

Once you start applying for a position, you then realize...That you applied for that SAME position a YEAR ago?! You look at your past application and the job application status STILL says: "Received submission"..after a whole YEAR! You either have to know someone to get a seat in the interview chair, or be that one lucky individual who received a butt-dial from the human resources manager who doesn't seem to even exist at this company..

Well, this is all I have so far! I would love hear what people have to say on this topic! For people who actually care...Yes, I believe that I am close to finding a job! Thank God! Did I miss anything? In any case..Thanks for reading!

1130

Most Helpful Guy

• Currently struggling to get a job. Willing to take bottom of the barrel, like dishwasher or whatever but as soon as I say I need set days off every week (due to a medical condition I have) I get turned down because I'm inflexible.

• I understand. I understand. That whole "equal-employment opportunity" act seems like a load of garbage sometimes doesn't it?

For you, I reccomend trying to find "Per-Diem", "On-Call", "work from home", or "Interim" jobs. Instead of being forced to work the standard 9-5 everyday, your hours vary from week to week. Your hours depend on the employer's need and how much the employee wishes to work. So, if someone calls out that day, they'll call you and see if you want to take the shift.

However, they won't have benefits because you're not a full time employee.. but, it's something. I hope you find something out there!

• I live in the UK where we have the Equality Act covering employment with disability and underlying conditions (which mine is kind of). I'm Also a student like yourself so that makes it harder.

I hope you find something soon too!

• oops, meant to say but that doesn't stop them from dreaming up some other reason not to take you on. Only protects if they directly state that's the reason why they're not hiring you or indirectly infer that's the reason they're not hiring you. But again it needs to be proven.

Most Helpful Girl

• Lol the last point my last store keeps having hiring postings up after they fire me they still to this day. Maybe people that were there when I got fired was fed up with the massive bitch that was our boss. She got 2 people to quit and she fire me, three other people (2 before me and 1 after me) and no one understands it since all 4 of us weren't bad employees we did our jobs and made sales but yet she fired us because she a massive bitch who when she dislikes you she makes your job harder.

• So probably the main reason why they have a ton of openings is because people that fill them either run for the hills or they get fired by a manager who constantly fires people.

• 6d

LMFAO... Some of these employers out here are just TRASH! I hope everyone is able to find a reasonable, fair and unbiased employer. It's only getting harder and harder to find them out here..

• 5d

I know right? I don't know how other people are finding better employers than me :( it makes me feel discouraged to even work in retail anymore because of it.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 29

• With respect, a lot of these apply to bullshit high-turnover crappy-ass jobs (as you have identified). They can afford to play stupid games because they have low entry requirements and there's a huge pool of applicants.

1. This sounds like the scam positions that don't even exist, or might as well be scams because they are call centres or commission-only sales.

2. True.

3. Ah, naive Knight Castor. They had someone else already picked (either internally or the boss' brother's cousin's former roommate) but to give the illusion of fairness and certainly not nepotism, they listed it for whatever the legally required minimum was, and then gave Dopey McFuckhead the job anyway.

4. Those are dumb, but inappropriate can be downright creepy. like asking if you're planning to have a family anytime soon...

5. Don't entirely discount this. The best job I ever had, I sat and waited six months for. I went through their test day, got the letter telling me it was coming... and finally it did. And the job was amazing, and I was one of the best employees they had. But it really did take six months before the budget approval for my specific position was approved and they could make good on their offer. Just... don't get discouraged, eh?

• Thank you for your detailed reply! I have been getting a lot of "scam" positions since publicizing my email on these job alerts and job-board websites. These scam positions are filled with nothing but grammatical errors, is sent from an email with crazy numbers and letters and no company address and the position itself makes no sense.

I'm a "package handler" in charge of preparing shipments, applying labels and inspecting goods... but it's a "work from home" position?🤔

Also, in regards to number 3, I probably was a bit naive there... but, it doesn't mean that particular situation doesn't happen! That goes for everything else on this list!

If I had my degree and was applying for a mid to high level position, I would wait 6 months. However.. for a entry level position? I can't wait THAT long.. I start to look elsewhere.

Thank you again for the reply!

• You're welcome!

There can be jobs like that where you work from home... maybe you'll be receiving the stuff to your house, checking it, and forwarding it on? The savings to the company by not having to maintain their own warehouse (since they're using your garage) could make it viable. *shrug*

Six months is a long time, no doubt. Be open to stuff like contracts. It's precarious work, sure, but half the workforce is in that situation now. It can get your foot in the door, either with the company you're contracting to or whatever agency is placing you. The job before the job I mentioned above, I was working for an agency doing jury advice cover. Because I'd done well there, they put me forward for another, permanent role elsewhere (and from that I was able to apply for that awesome job I loved)

• #1 that one sounds like a sales agent job. Or some door to door marketing scheme job.

#2 here is your clue: "benefits" is the alternative to raising your wage. Yeah, it's economist's speak but it's just a way for employers to pay a lower wage than they should. So instead of paying you full wage, they throw in some scheme that makes you feel you are getting a bargain (but you aren't because they get ground discount).

#3 sometimes I do that. Employers sometimes have a profile they want to hire. They would hire the 1st person who matches the profile.

#4 sometimes the odd questions are intentional. I once asked about a potential employee whether she had kids or not. Sometimes it's for the response and sometimes it's actually important. In my case a woman with kids tend to not being able to hold an afternoon shift without her husband help in kids duty.

#5 oh this one is easy. They aren't actually looking for people. They just send the hooks out and see what they are getting. Sometimes you get a good one and pull them in.

• Still better than potential employers that give you directions to the wrong door, and then threaten you when you show up at it asking if you are at the right door when you get there, and accuse you of trying to break in and steal from them when all you really wanted was for someone to give you advice on what to do next so you could turn in your application.

It's a good thing they let me leave in peace. If that geezer that was rude to me had tried to stop me from leaving, or got the cops involved, I would've sued.

• Ugh! What a horrible experience! Not to mention employers that forgot they had scheduled an interview with you.. or aren't even prepared for the interview! 😑

• Part of this is experience, learning to understand all the BS, and read between the lines.

"1) "Falsely advertising" a job position."

A lot of companies these days market the heck out of themselves to their employees as much as they market to customers. You can disregard all the company BS. With many companies the BS doesn't stop after you get hired. They like to make their employees think they (the employees) are doing something cool / important / leading edge / better than their competitors , etc.

By the way, in the US, this is much more common in some places than others. California was really bad about this. Less common in the Midwest.

Their goal is to get you working there. They are looking out for themselves. You need to look after yourself. Two sides of the same coin.

"2) Job benefits that aren't actually "benefits"."

More marketing. Unless they list real benefits, it means they have none.

"3) Employers that hire the first person who applies. "

There could be several reasons for this, including legal reasons. Even if they already know who they are hiring, there may be legal reasons they still list the opening. This is especially true with some government programs or contracts. They may just be going through the motions with no intent of hiring somebody from the job ads. They may also just be collecting resumes. That's VERY common.

With a lot of things you listed, there can be a BIG disconnect between the person writing the ad vs the person doing the actual hiring. If the job ads were written and placed by HR, they usually have no clue about the actual jobs.

Whenever possible, try to bypass HR. If you can't bypass them just (politely) ignore them.

"4) Employers that ask inappropriate, or dumb questions during an interview. "

Some of those questions were pretty stupid and even inappropriate. However, they already have a petty good idea on your work background, experience, etc. Their goal during an interview is to find out who YOU are as a person. The questions are often irrelevant. The goal is to just talk and see who you are.

If those bullets were for the actual job, it's almost certainly a sales job. With no experience needed, they probably just want lots of bodies to do cold calls. The only real qualification is that you are personable and can sell - which means sell yourself to them. If you fail to sell yourself to them, then you won't be able to sell their product either.

• You make some good points, I do however just want to point out that free lunch is a benefit for some people especially if they view two companies as a toss up or if they're living paycheck to paycheck.

It's also beneficial to the company as it frees up time you may otherwise use to get lunch and just stay in house possibly completing some task while working (especially if you're in a salary position and don't clock in or out) thereby increasing productivity.

• 5d

Great post! There are a lot of "Bait and switch " job postings out there. That is why the better business bureau was created.

Some companies are hiring internally and by law, must post the position to the public. Even if you're turned down with a letter (no interview) that states they're moving forward with someone else and posts the same position a week later. You have every right to start an investigation for that company's hiring practice.

I read your interrogation hiring experience. Again (BBB) should be involved, yet don't be afraid to ask questions in the interview.

How do you pay your bills? "I have no bills. May I ask how this is relevant to the position?"

Are you currently employed? (Hopefully both of you have your resume) Smile "Based upon my resume... I'm a college student, grad student, receiving a stipend for research..."

Retail is rough. However, it should be seasonal or part-time. Many retailers do not believe in adequate training or retention. It's the reason why I left retail as a manager. I lost great employees.

Keep your head up. Continue to research the companies prior to applying to them. I always believe everyone should put in time to the military. At least you can state you have experience. Then again after 4 years you'll get hit with "too much" experience.

• The job market is divided. What you describe happens with non-specific jobs. I was in some similar situation like 8-9 years ago without a proper education.

Probably regulatory differences - in the EU such questions are actually not allowed.

I would imagine you still have the right to refuse to answer some of their questions, whereever you are from.

• If that was the actual interview then the interviewer is terrible, none of the questions benefit them and could have been answered in 1 question with 1 answer over e-mail.
    - Are you capable / interested in a full time position?
    Which you could answer simply with yes or no.

All the other questions where either useless or irrelevant. If i where to be the interviewer you would have gotten unexpected questions that would give you an opportunity to show your personality and knowledge.

• I welcome those questions! It shows that there actually putting some thought into the people they hire and are seeing if they can actually handle certain situations on the job!

• And HRD always tries to pay you less than the normal wage.
    Compare wages before going to the RV.
    Pay attention to know what you should earn minimally , given your degree, experience, age, state and sector.

• It's easy to get a job when you're confident and lie on your resume. I got my job by stating "I've got ass kicking experience of dominating my life. I've also got 20 years of experience ruling society".
    My retarded false confidence got me the job.

• Eh. The economy is at full employment and has been for some time now. If you don't have a job now, it's because you don't want one.

• The job market really depends on what state you live in and what area you live in.

• 5d

I know exactly what you mean. Another one i hate is when a company advertises that you get guaranteed pay, and then you find your self selling door to door and you only get paid when you sell.. Thank god i only got sucked in to that once.

On a side note, Direct deposit is a benefit, lots of companies out there still dont do it. A major benefit is you get paid a day early.. So at my company every one gets paid on Friday, because i am on direct deposit i got paid last night at midnight. Beyond that i do see insurance and the fact that i get 10 hours of paid vacation added to a pool monthly as a huge benefit as well as 401 K and stock options.

• 6d

What's your degree?
    My kid was recruited right out of college for a 6-figure job in tech.
    I don't have an education and have never been out of work in over forty years - always high demand.

I'm just not getting this 'can't find a job' thing. And yes, there are many that are simply not employable, for one reason or another. They will always be 'unemployed'.

• 5d

If you don't mind me asking, what did your son major in?

• 4d

@Prof_Don - My wife is an executive recruiter - seen it all. Corporate HR's are the worst.
      She was also instrumental in pushing him to get a degree in a field where there was active recruitment. She's seen exactly what you describe, and more.

It wasn't easy though. He managed to get accepted by getting a 4.0gpa in high school and by taking college prep classes for college credit. But his desired major was full so he had to take a substitute. Then he couldn't get the classes he needed/wanted so he would sit in until someone dropped out to get officially in. After a couple of quarters he was able to officially change his major. You have to really go after what you want and never give up.

I gotta admire the kid, he really made it happen for himself - ALL BY HIMSELF. It sure wasn't mom or dad. Neither one of us has a degree. :)

• 4d

Wow that's impressive, I used to be computer science but due to not having a computer at home growing up (economically strapped at that time in my family), I didn't have the cultivated skills to make it in the computer science program.

The universities expect students to come in knowing how to code... and due to not having a computer at home, and not having school resources to show me HOW to program, I was screwed from the start.

• 2d

It sounds like you're blaming your inability to get a job on others.

It also sounds like your priorities are out of whack - having zero dollars is somehow better than having some dollars because a potential employer didn't meet your expectations?

• 6d

There isn't enough work to go round because too many people do too much overtime, make it illegal to do more than 40 hours a week, then everybody could have a job.

• I think the part where you told the interview that paying for you bills wasn't a thing because you lived with your parent was a mistake. They were basically trying to figure out if you had a lot of bills to see if you needed the job or just wanted the job. If the job sucks and you don't have bills you can just quit at anytime and they just wasted time and money interviewing and training another employee.

• Or they wanted someone desperate who they could treat like crap knowing they wouldn't leave.

• @Silver158 Then that might show you have problems with authority. Even if you don't making an argument like that during an interview I feel would be a bad choice. In most jobs now days employers want someone meek and willing to do whatever it takes. Unless you're going to a job in management in my opinion

• I would say it's more showing that your work life and personal life are separate and how I pay my bills and manage my money is nothing to do with them

• 5d

Why pick on Burger King they're my favorite fast food restaurant in the world

• This is partly why if I were a girl I'd just work on Backpage. As an unattractive guy I just told Social Security I lost the gene lotto and am disabled as a result, pay me (that may sound far-fetched but up until 1998 they were providing bums with free booze, alcoholism was a disability. Wasn't America great?). Basically I said fuck the job market 11 years ago, too much hassle to be worth it.

• In the city I live in, I can hardly walk into any restaurant or store without "help wanted" signs on the door.

If you don't have a job, it is because you are too lazy to find one.

• 4d

Because you can totally support yourself on a (probably part-time) restaurant or retail income, right.

• 3d

@fabulouspancakes
      The question was not one about the lack of value of one's skills. It was about not having a job. Anyone in the US that doesn't have a job is too lazy to get one. It isn't restricted to poor people. I have begged high school kids to work for me, but they simply do not want to work because their parents give them money. That is a mistake. It teaches them to be lazy.

Back when I was young and not making much per hour, I worked two full time jobs simultaneously, 7 days a week up to 16 hours a day. I don't have to do that anymore.

• Whatever. Get another job.

• He can't help being I'll. I hate healthy people like you. Life's so easy when you don't have to pay for meds and keep going to hospital and then you feel lousey but you can't get an appointment because the government's cut funding. I hate MPs, they're all too healthy, what do healthy people know about the difficulties people like me face? Healthy people go to university and get good jobs and become rich and marry beautiful women, I'm misseriable, I hate it when other people are happy, makes me want to kill the bastards. Life's so unfair, why were you born with healthy DNA, why was I born with bad DNA, why did I end up in a mental hospital and not you? I'm sick of other people being rich and happy just because they were born with healthy DNA.

• More from Guys
    9

What Girls Said 10

• As an employer, I don't think I would consider hiring you either. A question may seem dumb to you, but I can see the meaning behind it. They probably didn't need to ask about your education, skill set, and experience because it's in the resume. ( why waste time!) and can be reinforced with a phone call to your past employers. He/She asked you that 'dumb' question because employers wants people who are self-sufficient/ self-reliant, and not leaning on mummy and daddy for support. The best advice I can give you is to adjust your attitude. Stay positive! Be the sort of happy, positive, productive person that they can't work without!

• Agree to disagree. In my opinion, it was a too-personal question to ask. How is asking about your resume and experience "A waste of time"? Do you not want to actually determine whether or not a candidate is actually QUALIFIED for the position?

"Leaning on mummy and daddy for support"? What does that have to do with anything? Even if my parents paid for everything, which they DO NOT, that is frankly none of the employers business, or your business. Who I live with.. what my parents do or do not purchase for me.. has nothing to do with the position in question and says nothing about me as a person.

You do realize that most 20 year olds (college students) live with their parents right? What job could you possible get at age 20 that pays enough for housing, college tuition, your car, bills and utilities? Hardly anything if nothing at all. Most grown adults need Mid to High level careers to pay for those things, which you can only get with a degree, or YEARS worth of experience.

• As a candidate, I probably wouldn't want to work for your company either. Thank you for the passive-aggressive slightly rude comment though... It's greatly appreciated.

• I guess it's just a generational difference. At twenty, I was working, studying, living away from home, and when I could, sending money home to help my parents out as they lived on low income.
      Maybe, the employer wanted to give the job to someone who really needed it. Like someone who didn't have parental support?

• 2) I consider free lunch a great benefit. First of all it implies that you can get lunch, which is a huge benefit. In some places if you don't have time prepare something yourself, tough luck.
    And we pay around 5 euro for a sandwich at work and 8 euro for a meal. So assuming you do that every day that's around 1100 - 1400 euro a year. In a lot of professions that's a decent sized bonus

3) Well a lot of companies have the habit of updating the "published" date on the job offer every day if they're still looking for candidates so it might have been online a while or would have filled internally. But yes of course some companies post bogus listings

4) I don't think that question was so bad. Some employers ask inappropriate questions. Qatar airlines was recently fined for asking women if they are pregnant, but I don't think asking about your life in general is so bad.
    I've done interviews, generally speaking no one in the company is dying to do them, so if you can make it more like a conversation rather than a QA then you stand out. And her asking about your bills was an opportunity to do that.

5) If you haven;t heard back in a year you've been rejected. Some companies don't send out rejection letters or give any other indication

• Wow, that "how do you pay your bills" question was truly inappropriate.

I don't know how I would have responded if I was put in your position. I probably would also have answered the question, because I wouldn't have thought clearly enough in the moment to realize that I had any other option. But I think something like "may I ask why you need to know?" would be a perfectly reasonable response. After all, it is a wildly inappropriate question.

• 1) do you really expect them to say this is crappy job you will hate? Look up the business first and see what they do. If it says no experience needs probably going to be a crappy job.

2) i can some what agree with direct deposit. But free meals and training is definitely a benift. By the sounds of it you are looking at a minimum wage job, a meal is $6 or 7 dollars? That's almost an hours pay if you dont want it fine but its still a good benefit.

3) Hate to say it but they were trying to be nice. Would you have rather them said you are totally unqualified and not even worth interviewing?

4) That one seems over the line. I would leave out the part with your parents. Some questions will sound stupid just answer the best you can and remember they are not always looking for a specific answer.

5) some jobs they just are very selective for so they keep it open until the find the perfect person. The example you gave sounds like its a generic just keep listed to get resumes. If something comes open they have people available almost immediately.

I dont work in human resources but i see most of the applications and have to make phone calls turning people down. If you want me to take a look at your resume i would be willing too.

• 6d

They want experience that says you've slayed a dragon, reversed a natural disaster, saved the rainforest.

• 6d

Definitely, I heard about jobs posting just to seem like they're hiring :(

• 6d

Welcome to the real world

• My reasons why I didn't have a job for month was because some company were racist and preferred hire immigrant instead of their own people.
    White racism is the reasons why for 8 month I was unemployed.

• because they are picky

• LOL I don't think I'll hire you after reading this take.

Most companies don't need full employment to function so they have no rush to hire any and every one who applies for a job. There are many, many workers who screw their companies over so HR can be very picky when it comes to hiring.