It was one of my favorite sitcom staple of the 1990s, and if you're a 90's child like me, this is the one show where you know all the words to the theme.
But did you know these facts about our amazing Will and the show?
1. Mr. Will Smith Only Joined For Financial ReasonsHe only agreed to star in the show because he was in serious debt to the IRS, it's bad to say but, I'm actually happy he had those debts because HE WAS born to be the Prince of Bel Air. Could you imagine being it somebody else? So basically 70% of his salary over the first three seasons of "Fresh Prince went to the government ... poor Willy.
2. He met his wife JADA in the show Will and Jada Pinkett actually first met during auditions for "Fresh Prince." She was trying out for Smith's on-screen girlfriend, but instead became his actual Wife off-screen in 1997. They are an amazing couple though <3
3. Carlton's Dance InspirationsCarlton's unique dance became a fan favorite motif from the show, and my favorite dance in that period, I remember every kid trying to dance like him Carltong a.k.a. Alfonso Ribeiro explained that we really have Courteney Cox and Eddie Murphy to thank for Carlton's hilarious footwork. "Carlton" said he basically tried to combine Cox's dancing from the Bruce Springsteen video "Dancing in the Dark" with a skit Eddie Murphy did of how white people dance to create Carlton's dance move.
Tadaaa this is how the Carlton dance move was born ... basically making fun of us White folks LOL <3 amazing
4. Will Smith Chose His Character Name To Be Remembered
Will Smith and Carlton .. excuse me, I mean Alfonso Ribeiro were allowed to choose their own character names for the "Fresh Prince." Ribeiro warned Will to be careful when picking a name, because if the show got successful than that's what he might always be known by. Will Smith being a smart ass and genius, named his character Will Smith.... Meanwhile, Alfonso Ribeiro is still mostly known as Carlton.
.. Nice move there Willy.
5.But wait a minute The actor's name is short for William, while the character's name is short for Willard.
6.GeoffreyThe Banks's butler, Geoffrey, I absolutely adored him, he was almost never referred to by his full name, although you've actually heard his last name a lot more often than you realized. His full name is Geoffrey Barbara Butler.
HOW CUTE <3
7. Guantanamo Bay The inmates at the U.S. military prison of Guantanamo Bay love love love the "Fresh Prince," as evidenced by the fact that it recently surpassed "Harry Potter" movies as the entertainment of choice in the detention center in this military prison. I found this fact to by funny and cute don't judge lol :P
8. The Banks House Isn't actually In Bel-Air
The Banks house is actually located in Brentwood, not Bel-Air. The address is 251 N. Bristol Avenue, if you wanted to stop by and see it in person.
.. I would probably even ring the bell and see if Mr.Phill comes out (may his soul rest in peace) -cry-
9. Carton & Will - Not Just ActorsWill & Carlton did more than just act on the "Fresh Prince" they also worked behind the camera. Smith wrote one of the episodes in season three, and Carlton directed an episode in season five. What an amazing duo ...
10. The show was nearly canceled after the fourth season. During the last season, Will returns to Philly to visit his mom and he decides to stay. Fresh Prince fans were so outraged by the show’s cancellation that NBC brought it back for two additional seasons.
11. Will never acted before Will Smith had no acting experience before "Fresh Prince". He actually said that looking back he’s embarrassed by his acting in some of the earlier episodes.
But I think he was amazing, and maybe that's why the show was a WIN, because he was so natural and he was being HIMSELF ...
12. DJ Jazzy Jeff He plays Will’s BFF Jazz on the show is always wearing the same shirt when Uncle Phil throws him out of the house.
And you know why? Because they shot the scene only once since they ACTUALLY REALLY THREW HIM to make it seem real ... Ouch.
Even though it’s been 25 years since The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air premiered, Will Smith is still capturing our hearts as the homeboy from West Philadelphia who arrived in Bel-Air, and turned his Aunt and Uncle’s mansion upside down.
For six years, viewers were captivated by Will’s charm and his ability to get himself and his cousin Carlton into all varieties of mischief. And honestly, I think I will watch a few series this weekend ...
Before I close this MyTake, I wanted to dedicate a second to our amazing Uncle Phill - James LaRue Avery who passed away in December 31, 2013 I think the whole Prince of Bell Air show would be so boring without his amazing and glorious presence ..
May your amazing soul rest in Peace sir <3
Hope you enjoyed