Does Hollywood Need To Put Less White Women and Black Women In Its Movies and TV shows?

A couple years ago the Facebook dating app called "Are You Interested" did a study on the race-based dating habits of its users. The results were very surprising, check them out in this video:

As you can see, its pretty shocking: According to this study, black women are the number one least popular race of women in America among all races of men, and white women are the second least popular race of women in America in the eyes of white men as well as men from every other race.

This is a rude awakening for anyone that gets their info on which races of women (as well as men) are the most desired and most desirable in America from watching movies and television created by Hollywood. If you would believe Hollywood, white women are the alpha females, and the number one most desired race of women in the eyes of white, black, and all other races of men in America. And the way Hollywood portrays things, black women would be the second most desirable, since Hollywood clearly places them closely behind white women in terms of portrayals as sex symbols in television shows and movies. Think about it for a moment: picture in your mind the last ten sex scenes from a TV show or movie made in Hollywood that you have most recently seen: chances are, all of them featured either a white woman or a black woman, with the majority of them featuring white actresses and a couple featuring black actresses. Hollywood would have you believe that in the pecking order of female desirability, white women are on top, with black women being the close runner up in second place. But in reality, white women and black women are both the two LEAST romantically desired women in America.

The REAL pecking order, according to the Are You Interested study, goes like this:

- Asian women are number one

- Middle Eastern women are a close second

- Latinas are in the middle

- White women are second last

- Black women are dead last

That list is the TRUE indicator of what races of women are the most desired - and least desired - in America. As you can easily tell, Hollywood is severely out of touch when it comes to the races of women it chooses to portray as sex symbols in its movies and shows.

Perhaps it's time for a revolution: a shakeup in Hollywood so massive, it will seem like the "big one" earthquake that will finally send California out into the ocean. In this revolution, white actresses would stop being the number one most common race of actresses portrayed as main characters, love interests, or "sexy", "cute" or "beautiful" major supporting characters, and black actresses would stop being the second most common actresses in those roles. Asian actresses would become the most common race of actresses portrayed as the main characters, love interests and cute supporting characters, Middle Eastern actresses would take black actresses' spots as second most common, Latina/Hispanic actresses would keep their roles as third most common (but the rate they appear in movies and TV shows would still increase), and white actresses and black actresses would be relegated to the seldom-seen obscurity that Asian and Middle Eastern actresses currently suffer from in Hollywood today.

Is it time for such a shakeup? Should Hollywood stop catering to white and black female moviegoers and television audiences and giving them what they want to see onscreen - namely, themselves - and start worrying about what the men of America want to see? Because the numbers speak for themselves, and they say that American men don't want to see white or black women when they go to the movies or sit down in front of the television anymore - they want to see Asian, Middle Eastern, and Hispanic/Latina women. Is it time to give them what they want? Because they way Hollywood does business, they do not get to see what they truly want to see; instead, Hollywood tries to tell them what they SHOULD want to see and gives them that. And "that" is an endless parade of white girls and black girls.

Perhaps one day, and one day soon, Hollywood will eventually be forced to listen to the men of America and give them what they want. No one talks about this, but America's "white community" is headed for a lot of interracial dating drama in the near future, much like the black race has experienced for the last few decades, a phenomenon which Hollywood and the news media love to talk about: where the black community saw black men abandon black women and pursue relationships with white girls, and stating all sorts of reasons for why (which usually had/have to do with the perceived shortcomings of black women), white men in America are increasingly getting tired of the bullshit white women have been up to, which usually manifests itself in white females becoming overweight, overbearing, loud, obnoxious SJW feminists with pink hair. Add to this the phenomena of white men not wanting to get married to white women due to insanely unfair disadvantages that men suffer from in divorce court, and white men have already started their own "exodus" away from women of their own race:Does Hollywood Need To Put Less White Women and Black Women In Its Movies and TV shows?

The more the frustration and bitterness that white men feel toward white women drive their eyes, hearts, and genitals toward Asian, Hispanic, and other races of non-white women, the more Hollywood will eventually be forced to address this situation and do something the execs running Hollywood seem to hate doing: they will have to make movies and TV shows portraying white men paired up with Asian, Hispanic, and Middle Eastern women, and also simply give face time to these women, period.

Do you disagree with this take? Should white women and black women continue dominating Hollywood roles? Should the women that Hollywood puts on pedestals as sex symbols remain purely black and white, as they are now? Then, by all means explain why below. If you can prove anything in this take wrong, I encourage you to try to do so.

2538

Most Helpful Girl

• As a Indian woman who's British I would like to see Indian women in Hollywood. Since Indian people are second highest in population in the UK.

---

But I realise the majority are Caucasian and I understand hollywood would showcase them more. And it's not racist it's just selling the product to majority.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• Why? America is a white country. So is the UK and Russia and Canada and Australia and most parts of Europe. There's nobody pressurising the Chinese to show more whites on their screens or the Africans to represent more ethnic diversity. No it's just white countries. You know why? Rich foreign non-white bastards have bought their way into the system and are pressurising our puppets in office to change the cornerstones of our societies. They do that through people, soften them up using the media then change domestic laws and policy to undermine us and fragment us. It works too because they know 90% of the population are morons and cowards who bend with the wind no matter how bad a taste it leaves in their mouths. Zero integrity society I call it. Sell their own mothers to save their own hides. They target women especially coz if there was an alien invasion most women would turn their backs on the human race and suck alien cock to save their own skins. They're mostly cowards with zero sense of loyalty. That's just a fact. Why do you think they're being empowered now? They're easy to control that's why. We're being trained to destroy ourselves and limp wristed liberals are just traitors. Fuck diversity, white countries for white people

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • US isn't the country of whites, but the country of diversity. After the immigration it would never be homogeneous like how Scandinavia and some other European countries was a period. First the native Americans settled in the US. Then whites and other Europeans came. [Some of] them bought slaves from Africa explaining why the black population in US is big. Mexicans and all kinds of Latinos/hispanic also immigrated. Asians immigrated. Yes, people of many groups immigrated to the US because of the American's dream.

• Some people from Europe sold slaves to some Euro-Americans*

American dream*

• @curiousnorway shows you how much you know. European people were there long before the Indians. They've found their tools on the north America continent and they go back 10000 years to the last glacial period of this ice age we're in. The Atlantic froze and they crossed the ocean just the same way the Indians crossed from Siberia across the alutian island chain many years later. You should be up to date on current affairs before you get your soap box out pal

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 24

• So if white women are second to last why are you picking in them? Shouldn't you be upset about Asian women?

In response to your question, no. For 2 reasons,.
    1. They should be free to put whomever they want in their movies and sales demand will have an effect on that
    2. I think it should be proportionate to the population of the country.

• What does "picking in them" mean? And I am upset about Asian women, specifically about Asian women not getting enough roles in Hollywood to match the amount that white and other men want to see them - that's why I wrote this take.

• i just want to know why there are ZERO half caucasian actresses, models, singers, etc in korean entertainment when all of them are getting cosmetic surgery to get the eurasian face. cosmetic surgeons openly speak about it. why not just hire eurasian women? there are many in korea and they get teased and discriminated against.

• @COCOCHANEL you bring up such a good point! My daughter is half and half and has such a beautiful look. I wish we'd see more of that in Hollywood.

• why does the male role have to go to white men? i don't find white men attractive and i only want see attractive men.

i don't watch hollywood movies because i don't find the actors attractive.

• Nobody gives a fuck what you find attractive, or what movies you do and do not watch.

The male role goes to white men because, as you would know if you had actually watched the video, white men are the number one most desired race of men in America. The study was only done in America, but there's a good chance that white men might very well be the most desired men in the world, as well.

The opinion of most females in America > you opinion. KYS.

• I love Asian guys too! I also really like native Americans and Indians.

• His reaction was brought on by the elitist attitude you displayed in your post. You have your personal preference, that's fine. But who do you think you are to imply your personal preference should dictate movie roles in a country other than your own?

It says you're from Japan, what would you say if some American girl says "why does Japanese cinema have to cast Japanese men? I don't find Japanese men attractive, I only want attractive men'?

"i said white men are not what most women want" You said you don't like white men, but how the hell can you speak for most women? Many statistics would suggest you're wrong regardless of what your personal opinion is.

I'm half English, half Chinese and I generally have more success than my Asian friends regardless of whether I'm in Western or Asian countries. It's not like oh 'COCOCHANEL' thinks white guys are ugly, oh shit I'm half white.. And then magically every girl is going to agree with you and they'll suddenly dislike me...

God..

• Or maybe, just hear me out on this, white people, followed by black people, just make up the largest percentages of the American population? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more representation of other ethnicities in films. But it just makes sense that you'd see the most representation of the most prevalent races in any given country. Which, in America, is white followed by black. Sorry that not everything is engineered to appeal to your preferences or those of the men surveyed.

• Whatever you said can be defeated by the simple statement that most leading roles are still, almost solely, given to white men...

• Well maybe women and non-white men should make more movies. Then they can decide who is in them.

• Did you watch the video? White men are the number one most romantically desired race of men in America, among all races of women (except black ones). There is a demand for white men.

Now, if you had said black men instead of white men, then you would have had a point. Black guys are portrayed much more positively than white guys are in Hollywood: just take a look at all the movies featuring Dwaye Johnson, Denzel Washington, or Jamie Foxx starring as the main characters beating up and killing a bunch of white guys and saving the (often white) girl at the end. In fact, it could be said that Hollywood portrays both white women and black men as the number one most attractive/desired races of women and men in America, respectively. Yet, according to the AYI study, black men are actually the SECOND LEAST desired race of men in America, above only South Asian men and below every other race of men (including East Asian men).

• Hollywood is simply out of whack; it portrays the race of men that are the number one most desired male race in the country (and possibly the world) worse than it portrays the second least desired race of men.

• Why can't people just date who they want? And TV and movie studios put who they want in parts? Why does everything have to be analyzed to death?

• This is clearly bais for the sole purpose of putting other race down. This is just one data from a show that no one seen or to old or data.

• As a mixed raced person I never really know how to feel in terms of topics like these. I guess from my own biased perspective I'd like to see more women who look like me. At the moment I don't see much of that, and sometimes it makes me feel bad. Black women don't look like me, white women don't look like me, Asian women don't look like me. Only mixed raced women and brown Hispanic women look like me. So, I suppose that's who I'd like to see be represented more.

• I think if they do white and black women will become more appealing, because the reason Asians and middle East are on top is because they are rare in US (which I am assuming is the place this took place). People like rare things. In the future white women will be the rarest in America and I bet it will make them go up in value.

Personally I think talent should out weigh race on job pick.

• I don't care about the race of characters in movies and TV shows. I care about whether or not they're good actresses and portray the character well.

• I'm a mix of many things which you would never guess. I don't look at people and are attracted based on their genetics. It's their attitude, intelligence and kindness. They could be black, white, Asian or Indian. The tv shows I watch are HGTV and Destination America paranormal shows. Ghosts/demons don't discriminate or have preferences. Ty

• A movie or a show is mainly based off the plot or storyline and how good and appealing it is to the audience. Like something good to grab the attention, the race of the actors has nothing to do with that to me, would it really impact ticket sales and ratings I dont think so.

• As an European girl everytime I watch an American show it always surprise me how much Black people there's in. I don't think they should put more Black people in their movie.
    Last time I watched Flash and was so surprised by the amount of Black women in it, it seems like there's more Black women than White women.

In the show of my country there's near always White people and it they have to put a different race it's like always a guy of a different race.

• Okay first of all, there's actually room for every race at the table. I don't get this argument because there are SO many movies made each year, it's not about giving white people "less" it should be about equality - making sure the cast and crew are a sea of diversity. I will say that Asian women are underrepresented but black women are represented in larger amounts... but rarely in a good light. So which would you prefer? Being represented so much where 70% is negative OR be overlooked? Let's be realistic here

• Movies should reflect reality. If a movie is based in America, it should reflect reality. Therefore if it's in a location where whites are the majority, make whites the majority in the movie. If it's in a location where blacks are the majority, make blacks the majority. Etc etc. And generally you'll find that's the way things are.

It shouldn't be about filling some stupid quota. If you're a minority in a location, don't complain because movies don't represent you. If you don't like it, move to a country where you are the majority and you'll have no issues.

And what instances are blacks women rarely represented in a good light? Lots of movies will stereotype people, regardless of what race they are.

• I thought white women were number 1 and the most desireable. I thought the least loveable and most hated race of women were either black or Asian.

• They need more talented people.

• There's black women everywhere in Hollywood..

• Sorry, is this a wind up?

• the grass is always greener

• That statistic of black woman the least is as true as a statistic I just made myself of a random subject. I doubt they asked all people what their preference is. To make a statement like that is not possible

• Actually Hollywood is already trying too hard to give good roles to certain races and creating stories with interracial couples, gay people, etc.

Middle Eastern and Asian women can be pretty, but Caucasian women still present a much wider variety of colors and shapes which is obviously important.
    It's kinda strange to assume those minorities should show up more on American TV because some random study says men are more attracted to them. Moreover, it would mean we would have mostly white men and Middle Eastern and Asian females on screen.

I guess we can stop arguing when we all look alike. Like in Asian televisions, as many people already pointed out.

• "Moreover, it would mean we would have mostly white men and Middle Eastern and Asian females on screen."

What would be wrong with that? Would it be any worse than Hollywood's current state, where we have mostly black men, white women, and black women?

• It would be good for business because it would be based on what the majority of people want based on statistics, not what the minority want.

• @Kkaos I think the premise of the OP is that those people should dominate the screen because they're considered more attractive. I can't even imagine a setting where such would occur, perhaps a movie based in Asia. Then next would be limiting the age of the actors. Ironically it's like going back to the time when there wasn't much variety in Hollywood.
      Would the industry be what it is today if its characters were all Asian?

Personally, even if I may find guys with brown hair more attractive, doesn't mean I would want all men on screen to have brown hair and a certain haircut and style.

• More from Girls
    4

What Guys Said 37

• I do think that certain races are put on the pedestal in the media. I personally think that each race should be equally represented in the media instead of only two.

In regards to male actors, the problem here is how underrepresented Asian men are in Hollywood. It seems that Asian men only have bigger roles in Independent movies in regards to acting careers. The other factor is all the negative stereotypes that surround the Asian male and because there is some social stigma in regards to non Asian women admitting attraction towards Asian men because of the assumptions that she has “yellow fever”

Many people despite not knowing it, tend to be attracted to those that are represented positively in the media.

• I don’t watch any Hollywood generated idiocracy anymore so I don’t care what they put on there. I do enjoy hearing that their ratings are falling double digits because they turned entertainment into a political movement at every turn. But lets say that I care for a moment; your cited study“…. black women are the number one least popular … white women are the second least popular..”with men. These women soak it up and absorb all of this Hollywood bl$ht portrayed importance and superiority that has made them unapproachable and untouchable narcissists and most likely or at least a possibility the reason for the low reply rate from men in your date site data. Men, but mostly white men, are portrayed as idiots, evil criminals, woman beaters, child molesters or simps and wimps in Hollywood. So I don’t see how or why any straight males actually watch that Hollywood generated crap and I bet most men don’t care because more than we realize don’t watch it anymore. I think Hollywood should continue as they are and maybe only have white and black women on their crap. Who cares about their $ht anyways. As Hollywood continues to decouple from audience reality their profits will drop and hopefully they will dry up and blow away. So as a white guy, as long as I can date an Asian or Latina woman, I couldn’t give a crap less what Hollywood does.

• Well first and foremost Hollywood is there to make money, so it needs to cast whoever will pull in the biggest crowd.

Secondly, Hollywood should cast whoever the role fits. Iris west from the flash is a good example of when ambiguity works perfectly fine. A black Hermione Granger? No just no

• You see, that's the thing: you would THINK that Hollywood is there to make money, but they put white women on a pedestal and say that they're the most desired, when in fact they are the second least desired; and the number one most desired race of women in America, Asian women, have trouble finding work in Hollywood. You make money by supplying a demand, and they instead give us an endless sea of the second least desired race of women while trying to tell us that they're the most desired, and they ignore the demand for the actual most desired women.

The fact is, pushing social agendas is more important to Hollywood movers and shakers than making money by giving the people what they want.

• No They Do Not 'Need To'

But that being said, as a white man I feel as though hispanic and Asian women are vastly underrepresented. I understand that white people being most of the population makes it necessarily so that most of the actors and actresses are white people, but black people are just like 13% of the population of the United States. The hispanic population is Much higher. And hispanic women can be fucking gorgeous but instead they're relegated to stereotypes and a few household names like Sofia Vegara. Asian women aren't a huge proportion of the poulation, so I can understand why they wouldn't be common, but nonetheless I'd still enjoy seeing more of them.

I am however against mandating quotas in art. Art is art, its a form of expression and I think when hollywood makes it about race, gender, or any message based bullshit like that it's just as dejecting to see as seeing product placements put in it. Its patronizing, tribalistic, boring at this point, etc. But nonetheless I would gladly pay to see more Asian and hispanic/latina women in my movies. I wish it were as normal as having white people in it and didn't need to be seen as like 'look at the risk they're taking' or have to be artificially written into the script.

• I appreciate the effort and the research/thoughts into your take but my thoughts on Hollywood or any major studio would be just that they do a breakdown along the population makeup of the area your show/movie is set in, that seems fair.

• By trying to singal others as racists, you are ironically the one who is the most focussed on race. People who genuinely have no interest in racism do not poy attention to such petty "problems".

• When did I ever mention racism?

• Even though you didn't clearly mention it, it "smells" like it.

• No, it doesn't. This has nothing to do with racism, and I'm not an SJW - this has everything to do with the free market, and whether or not Hollywood is giving the people what they want (spoiler: they're not, or at least not giving men what they want to see). There *should* be a free market in Hollywood, but every movie that gets made in Hollywood is made by the same small handful of old jewish guys, and they are running Hollywood (and the entire American entertainment industry as a whole) like a cartel. They enjoy a monopoly/cartel on what the American public sees when they go to the movies (or watch television), and they are not supplying a demand, or giving the male half of the American people what they want to see.

• As someone who works in Performance (Theatre Bachelors Student) I can tell you that there are a lot more white and black women than any other racial group auditioning. Statistically if you are indifferent to race the chance you will cast a white star is the highest, followed by black and Latina. Of course typecasting is a thing as well, but it all depends on the production.

• They have a problem for finding hot Asian girls for the screens who can sell the idea to their funding.

Just think about it for a second. If you bet all of your savings and your house to fund a movie and you have the option of going for a sure shot and the option of taking a risk with high losses and minimal winnings. What would you do?

Data is one thing but people just want to sit around and wait for some guy to throw away all of his life and see if he dies or not before they will follow.

• I don't think they need to do that. They just need to have more movies with people of other races. However, I think talent should matter more than race. Place someone that is going to do well in the role and not someone there just because.

• Who gives jackshit about their nationality or ethnicity? As long as they are objectively good looking, Hollywood is gonna take them in.

• Hollywood is really not going to do that, though. Hollywood only puts white and black women in its movies, and Asian women have a hard time finding work in the movie and television industries.

• They probably think that would make them less money then.

• It should reflect the populations demographics and who the programs/films are marketed towards.

• Why should they do that? They should put anyone who qualifies without regard to race or gender or culture.

• They don't do that, though. They specifically keep Asian women out of their movies and TV shows.

• It has been documented by several different media outlets, news sources, etc. that Asian women have a very hard time finding real work in Hollywood, and end up having to enter the porn industry instead. I don't have any sources readily available, but you might be able to find some if you search for it.

• Unbelievable. Discrimination is very well alive and plenty still.

• How about we pick the best actor or actress for the job that fits what the scrip requires.

Instead of picking shitty actors based on their skin colour.

• looks and talent come first then what the role is all about, horror, comedy, japan in ww2 or spring in germany in 1985 ... etc

the actors should be chosen based on the movie and how well they fit in it not because someone is hurt that their people dont appear enough in movies, they make movies that people wanna see and such movies happen to need black/white women to make them work.

• Uh, a lot of hispanic people are white. Hispanic is a culture, and the race can be white, Native American (north or south), or black, or a mix of those.

• It's pretty-obvious why: men are attracted to traditional women, and Asian and Arab women are the most traditional in general. Nobody wants to date, let alone marry, some "liberated", anti-feminine fat slut.

• Firstly, the research also said that most people still prefer their own.

Secondly, I believe it's not because of physical appearance that white women are seen as less attractive to other races, but because they are seen as more dominant and masculine, thanks to feminism. Asian and middle eastern women share the stereotype of being traditional, kind and caring. 3 characteristics that seem to attract men a lot. Black women also suffer from stereotypes like being aggressive, domineering and loud mouthed, which makes them less desirable to men.

I wonder who would come out on top if all races shared the same stereotypes. The numbers might be different.

• One problem with what you said is white girls are the most likely to be republican and maybe less likely to be a sjw.
    i.dailymail.co.uk/.../...ge-a-71_1478689949812.jpg
    They tend to get a lot of blame though. Many white girls are not sjws though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPIxjqRaviM

Also higher Asian replies is likely due to much lower obesity rates
    ichef.bbci.co.uk/.../_86657490_finaldemosgraph.jpg

White lead actresses are rarely obese.

• This is one of those issues I simply can't get excited about...

• Well, I don't think "Black" women are "dominating" Hollywood roles.. LOL.. They really just recently started bein in Hollywood, and even then it's still not as much.. And also I think many people knew that "Black" women were least desired unfortunately.. And it's not a good or natural thing.. But, plenty of guys still love "White" women.. It's just that a lot of American guys gravitate toward "exotic" women I guess.. But that would work except the "Asian" and "Middle Eastern" population is so small in the U. S. I wouldn't make sense for them to dominate Hollywood..

• More from Guys
    17