Blonde Redhead, the best band you've never heard.

Blonde Redhead is an alternative rock band composed of Kazu Makino and twin brothers Simone and Amedeo Pace that formed in New York City in 1993. - Wikipidia

Blonde Redhead is my favourite band of all time. To this day, I have never met a single person who has ever heard of them! For most people, they discovered them when the song "For the Damaged Coda" was used in an iconic episode of Rick and Morty.

Since then they have been used relentlessly in internet memes. Making it a song that is hard to avoid if you are down with internet trends.

I personally discovered then when YouTube recommended me the song below. I was drawn in by the album cover. I had heard them before from watching Rick and Morty but never realised it was the same band. I fell in love with them the moment they graced my ears.

This song is from an album they made directly after Kazu was thrown off her horse and kicked in the face. It was so horrific she had to have her whole face reconstructed. (Listen closely to the lyrics!)

They have an extremely unique style, each album has its own personality. Some songs have a rock influence while some songs are more pop. I was fortunate enough to see them live last year and they are amazing to see. I met the whole band backstage, and even though I pronounced Kazu wrong, they were unbelievably nice. However, I was disappointed they never played my all time favourite song "Mind to be had". But I think the album version is better than the live version, so it's not all bad!

I think the main reason why nobody has ever heard of them is that they have never had the proper funding. They have pretty much paid for everything themselves. Kazu has mentioned before in interviews that she never even wanted to be a singer. They don't have many official music videos, but I will leave you with this one. Hopefully, I have shown you that Blonde Redhead deserves more recognition and that you will be interested in listening to more of their songs. They only get better the more you listen!

33

Most Helpful Girl

• Thank you for introducing me to a new group! Your such a smart, talented young lady, with great taste! 🤘🏻

Most Helpful Guy

• Wow, I'd never heard of them, and I've listened to For The Damaged Coda on YouTube.

Join the discussion

22
  • I also tend to like bands people haven't heard of. Anyone know Suburban Lawns? :P
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

• Good take

• 7d

I am not a fan of their music

• 7d

Niceee