Do you think people without social media are insecure?

With social media I mean Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat etc.

I was talking about this with some people in class today. People on social media always try to show the great life they have, and some people can feel lonely and insecure by looking at other people’s highlights. And some people don’t get enough likes as their friends which can also make them insecure.

So they rather not have any social media.
  • I think they are insecure
    Vote A
  • I don’t think they are insecure
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
I don’t think having social media makes you insecure, that’s such a cliche.

1|4

Most Helpful Guy

• I know for some people that is the reason why. I've had friends that deleted their social media, because they said it made them feel insecure about their own life compared to others. I wouldn't say that's the bulk of people that don't have social media, but I do know that definitely does exist for some of them.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I dont have much social media because I'd rather spend my time watching tv or whatever. Thr only social media i have are the ones my friends practically forced me to get and i literally never use them... Ever

Im insecure but thats not Why i dont use social media. Excluding gag, most just bore me tbh

1|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 105

• I actually think it can be the opposite. That people who are heavy with social media and displaying their lives, photos, and relationships so much are looking for love and validation online where in their real life they actually are insecure, empty, or doubt themselves.

5|3
    0|0
    • Totally agree. Take social media away from the people that use it and then see how insecure they really are. The ones that don't use it, don't miss it.

• @Surely True indeed. I used to know people who thought they're important enough to display themselves, when they just work at a bank in a grocery store! Lol!

• agreed. Though some genuinely do have a good social life and they will make others on social media feel like they are missing out too.

• I think people with social media are more insecure. I don't have it because I have no desire to temporarily inflate my ego by sharing where I am and what im doing.
    Social media is nothing more than a statment saying "look how interesting my life is" and I have no desire to indulge in such petty and egotistical practices.

1|1
    0|0
    • Cliches are cliches for a reason...

• Outdated...

• Hardly. Everything shared on social media is entirely for other people to see.
      The notion in itself is about receiving likes and shit from other people. Very little is shared on social media that serves any other purposes than showing off.

• Sooo... you're claiming that people without their face constantly pressed to a screen, constantly forcing people to hear even the tiniest most mundane garbage, are the ones who are insecure? That because they are so pathetic they choose to avoid social media, so as to avoid loneliness and rejection?

First. I use ZERO social media, except this site, which I'm quickly coming to hate too. I have a very high self esteem. High enough on fact that that i do not need the support of faceless others I met once and friended on a website to feel better. I feel important enough in my life, and those around me, that those people show me my worth plenty.

Second. It seems to me people on social media are the lonely, desperate, rejection fearing ones. Why else forcefeed the world every trivial thing that occurs in your life. People mock them and say"like anyone cares what cereal you had", but I ask this, "how lonely and desperate for others approval are you, that you need someone to agree that capt crunch is great, and you made a good decision on cereal choice".

Ultimately, social media is designed to be a tool for tricking ones self. You can lie to yourself, and the world about anything. Make yourself anyone, claim to have any career, any income, own better cars, have a better mate, or one at all. If no one knows, or questions it, it might be true, and you might feel like you matter.

1|0
    0|0
  • Are these poll for elementary students?

There are tons of reasons why people don't have social media accounts... Some don't want their lives posted all over the internet. Some had accounts but decided to delete after. Some just don't understand the whole thing... Etc. Why is the question limited to being insecure as the answer?

1|0
    0|0
    • Don’t be so dramatic it’s just a simple question. Your life doesn’t depend on it.

• I don't use many social media (only Facebook and G@G) and I don't feel insecure.
    It's not insecurity that stops me from using other social media...
    1. I NEED a LIFE to live
    2. I don't have unlimited time
    3. Some social media are pointless - Instagram (if you ask me)
    4. I'm not the person who loves to brag. So no point shooting off and boasting. (plus I'm a guy... I got nothing to show off... Flat chest 😂)
    5. Privacy

1|1
    0|0
  • No actually, I'd say they are probably the most secure people around. Not requiring to display their lives and looks for the validation of their peers and just doing what they like. I mean look at facebook, instagram and the like. full of selfies and people desperate for likes.

3|0
    0|0
  • No, I don't think so. Insecurity exists whether you have social media or not. You could make the argument that those who need to post constantly are insecure because they need the constant validation from 'likes' and comments. You could also make the argument that those who don't get 'likes' and positive comments compared to everyone else will eventually get insecure and leave social media. So it goes both ways.

2|0
    0|0
  • The insecure people tend to flock to the things everyone else does so they fit in.
    From my experience, the people without social media are sick of social media, don't like the idea of social media, or aren't a fan of letting out any personal information on the internet.

2|0
    0|0
  • Not necessarily. Not having social media can also stem from a) not wanting to share stuff from their lives on the internet, b) thinking the social media sites are garbage (e. g. Facebook), c) thinking it is too time consuming, d) they find it difficult to use and e) they are insecure.

Yes, insecure can be a reason but it's not the absolute reason why people don't have social media.

2|0
    0|0
  • On the contrary, people not having social media are more confident than most people on it. Think about it, they are so confident that they are impervious to peer pressure. They don't have to fake a life a chase likes to feel good about themselves.

2|1
    0|0
  • Ummm what? It's the other way around.

Whenever I start dating or msging a girl that likes me she gets really insistent on having my fb. Obviously she wants to stalk my fb so she can see if I'm talking to other girls. If that's not insecure I don't know what is.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think the more you have "social" media the less social you are as in out there meeting people. You maybe popular on the web, but real life physical friends and interactions are what being social is all about. I think that if you are multi social media platforming that you are less secure and need those "friends" and "likes" to help ease your insecurities.

2|0
    0|0
  • I havnt had social media in 5 years now ☺

I dont need it because im always outside doing things and hanging with friends or chillin with girls or with my motorcycle group. And i simply dont have time for it either. I find it annoying and pointless.

I dont need to upload drama posts about nonsense or read goofy crap or care about what on there. Id rather enjoy real life

2|0
    0|0
    • If I had things to do then I’d totally quit social media

• I feel like people who are obsessed with social media are a hell of a lot more insecure than those without it. But hey, it’s there for people to enjoy so if you like it use it if you don’t no worries

3|1
    0|0
  • It can come down from insecurity.

But it does not have to.

It can be because they do not like showing off and do not need another person gratification to feel good. It could be because they are secure with themselves

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't think people who HAVE social media are insecure, but I KNOW people who overuse it are.

2|1
    0|0
  • What is this logic, if someone doesn't want to show his life then let him be, how it that: being insecure

1|1
    0|0
  • This is an odd question. I don't understand your logic. Anyway, social media has become the very best thing known to narcissists. Thus, I thought it was common knowledge that the opposite is true. That many people were either already insecure, or have become insecure because of social media. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but it seems like a natural response to what social media venues such as Instagram have become.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think the people with FB etc who only show you the "perfect" life they lead are the ones who are insecure, normal people like me aren't on it cause we don't give a shit what they had for dinner.
    I want to see all the funny, embarrassing, bad bits, then I might be interested in looking at what they're upto

1|0
    0|0
  • Everyone is of course different and insecurity is something you can overcome and also something you can never face both with social media and without. Tbh your classmates not having social media because they are scared of being insecure makes them insecure about themselves. The way to overcome it is to face it head on and not be upset that people are better than you and use that as a reason to try and be better than them.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 56

• No they are stronger and smarter than those who do use Social Media. Social Media actually is more of a Depressant than Alcohol and other substances. Mental Health has declined tremendously with those who use these platforms. I know so many people that gave up their SM accts and saw such a boost in their demeanor and Mental State.

3|0
    0|0
  • No, I wouldn't consider them being insecure
    I have friends who don't have any social platforms but are confident and super smart
    When asking them, they'd tell me it's unnecessary and a waste of time sooo

2|0
    0|0
  • I don't have Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or anything else really. The only reason I have this is because this is a site based on giving opinions and advice and that's the appeal I find in this app. Everything else is about showing off and being conceited basically. Doesn't always happen that way with everyone but I'd rather not let myself get sucked into that lol. If my friends want to contact me they have my phone number :P

2|1
    0|0
  • I just find it boring. I do have social media that I never use but didn’t delete. But when I did go on them I didn’t care about what other people who weren’t affecting me were doing with their lives. And I think they wouldn’t care what I’m doing with my life. So posting selfies and shit is pointless.

1|0
    0|0
  • I don’t think they are insecure. Personally I don’t have any social media and it’s simply because I have no interest in broadcasting my life to everyone I know.

2|2
    0|0
  • If anything then people who don't use it at all or rarely do are the most confident. They don't need to show off their lives and seek validation. I have a friend who is always posting photos of herself and things she's up to and wants attention all the time on there~she's super insecure in reality.

2|0
    0|0
  • i had social media facebook instagram, when i posted something i got more likes than i expected like in de 200+, i broke my phone and so i haven't used social media in a long time and now that i have a new one, i dont really feel like using it anymore kinda got bored of it so i decided to delete all my photos and keep my life private now, same with snapchat

2|0
    0|0
  • I think many on social media seek validation. Those who are secure really don't care about likes, believe it or not. They don't care about what other people think of them.

1|2
    0|0
  • No, I don't.

I find it questionable when someone has no online presence at all, especially if they're a young person. What are they hiding?

Even if it's just an Instagram account that you haven't used since 2013, that's something.

1|0
    0|0
  • No they most likely have actually more confidence because they probably haven’t better social skills and there are been studies so show that social media has become very addictive and that actually releases some sort of chemical in your brain that make you feel loved when people message you and unloved when they don’t

1|0
    0|0
  • The only reason I have Facebook is because I made it as I was 13 and now almost all the contracts I have with people are saved there. Don't have Instagram or Snapchat, not because I'm insecure, but because I don't like everyone knowing what I'm doing. I don't think people without social media in general are insecure, even the opposite. It's just their understanding of things.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd be more likely to think that people who are constantly on social media, posting selfies every 5mins and statuses, photos etc etc about how wonderful their lives are have lower self-esteem. If you have high self-esteem, you don't need to constantly show people a highlights reel of your life for them to 'like' and comment on.

1|0
    0|0
  • Not at all. I bet they're secure as fuck with who they are because social media is literally just validation and attention seeking.

3|0
    0|0
  • I think they have more self-confidence and sense of life than some other people whose lives are limited to the amount of time they spend on SM and the approval they get on anything and everything they choose to show other people.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think it's the total opposite. People with social media post to have praise and likes heaped on them. They need validation because there's something missing in their life. People who don't have social media are content and happy and don't need the validation of strangers. Plus, anyone with a flawless social media page is lying anyway ❤️

1|0
    0|0
  • Youve got it mixed up, its the ones with social media that are insecure. Those who dont show that their self worth isn't dependant on what they showcase, or on how many likes they get. Their self esteem is already secure. (speaking generally anywho) When people post on social media, its about them making sure the world thinks a certain way about them, most are insecure and feel as if they need to prove themselves, they need validation or "certain number of likes". Those without simply don't care about how many likes they get.

3|1
    0|0
  • Not I don't think so. Most people who have social media any are pompous. They only show the good olabout themselves. People who don't have social media simply don't care for watching that.

2|0
    0|0
  • I have friends who go on social media and post the best of their lives. Vacations, gifts, parties, all of it, but knowing them in person, they're miserable, in marriage counseling, horrible relationships, you name it. The people I know who don't have social media, for lack of better words, seem above all that. They don't care if people like how they look, they don't feel the need to brag, and a red heart icon from dozens or hundreds of complete strangers doesn't mean anything to them. Social media is a huge problem in a lot of people's lives.

2|0
    0|0
  • No no doesn t have to be relatable at all.
    Also moat if social media s stoeiws are overrated and exaggerated
    It s mainly artificial hence a display of insecurity and need of validation like yo I am cool.
    But really it can go both ways. Someone can be active displaying his achievements and all which I din t dind wrong at all and it s good for business

0|0
    0|0
  • Many times they are more secure because they don't need to fit in with everyone else. Insecure people are most likely to do what everyone else does. So definitely no, I think is shows how secure a person is.

1|0
    0|0
  • More from Girls

Recommended myTakes