How to stop being a Koreaboo?

Okay this is a very embarrassing question and post to make but I would really like some advice because this has somewhat taken over my life.

So, I have been listening to kpop music for about 3 years now. At first, it was very harmless and fun but now it has made me what to change myself. I would consider myself a Koreaboo, but not an extreme one. I don't randomly say Korean words whenever I want or blurt out "Oppa" whenever I see a guy I like. To me, that kind of stuff is super cringy. I also don't own any CDs or merch from groups. Of course, I have favorites but I don't go super fangirl whenever I see them.

The thing that I would consider a problem based on my koreaboo habits would be the kpop influence slowly affecting my want to "be Asian". This is a very embarrassing thing to say and slightly racist but there have been times when I wished I looked Asian (physically). And I am not just saying to look Korean... but Japanese, Chinese, etc, literally to look east Asian. Like I said, I know this sounds very cringy and racist but I would very much like to change this mindset. I wasn't born in America and happened to be adopted at a young age. I lost my "ethnic" culture growing up and I am slightly embarrassed about it at times. I am not super confident of my background and I guess because of this, I used Asian people and their culture as something I wish i was...

This is another sad thing to say but I have sometimes convinced myself that i "look Asian". I do have blonde hair but I also have very dark eyes. They are small and have an almond shape to them. Other than my nose and chin, my face is somewhat flat. I also have researched the dna mixing of my ethnic background to see if Asians have ever mixed in, convincing myself that I have Asian in me. I also took a DNA test and found out that I was 1% Mongolian which made me happy but also sadly, I was I had more...
Updates:
I know to a lot of Asians, this kind of mindset is very toxic and racist. I am very sorry if this kind of mindset offends Asians in any way. I really wish I could change it but I don't know how. It would be very nice if anyone could give me some tips on how I could make my want to be "Asian" and my koreaboo habits decrease.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• So what do you do outside of listening to Kpop? Having a job, a social life and a physical activity will leave you very little time to obsess elsewhere.

by the way, the Kpop life/look is completely unrepresentative of 99.9% of the continent.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Acknowledging you were being really weird about it is a good start. Just distance yourself more and more from kpop groups and online communities and remember what you're saying here.

Also pick up a new hobby or find a new book or something to distract from those thoughts. It'll fade out eventually.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 3

• Just because you like the music and see korean women with the singers you have put in your mind that's what's desirable. Try just being happy with yourself and like whatever music you want.

0|0
    0|0
  • You need more hobbies. You have this obsession of being Asian because you are so focused on the culture. Try doing more than just that

0|0
    0|0
  • Stop playing Yu-gi-oh!

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

Recommended myTakes