I learned a ton about men from my younger brother

It may seem weird but a lot of my understanding of male behavior came from long talks with my younger brother. He passed on when he was 30 but he was always there to listen, and when it came to men clue me in a little.

The first time he really let me know what was going on in guys heads was when I was 15 and he was 13. I mentioned that I was surprised all his guy friends were so clumsy since they were all athletes. His response "Sis, they drop stuff because you put your giant PJ shirts on when you get home and they hope that you'll pick up what they've dropped so they can try to look down your shirt.".

Later when I was starting college. His advise don't read romance novels in public. Because there are too many men out there that would use my love of romance to get me into bed.

But he taught me some really nice things too. Men don't always want to make the first move. I asked out my first boy friend. We're still friends today. Men cry too just not in public because they don't want to be shamed for it.

And as I dated he was always there with a reality check. You know your boyfriend's never sober and is a dick you can do better.

Because of him I've got a troop of honorary younger brothers that check in on my pretty regularly. I have guy friends I never would have realized were nice guys if he hadn't taught me to look beneath the surface with men.

He taught me that a man can read poetry and still record 7 different football games in one day.

I do miss him. I miss his perspective. But I really treasure that he showed me how incredibly multifaceted men can be. Maybe I would have figured it out on my own. But I'll always be thankful for the nudge in the right direction.

4
8

Most Helpful Girls

• Amy_Theo
    This made me want to cry.
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Call me selfish but I wish I die before my brother. I don't want to go through the pain and anguish.
    I'm sure my brother must've taught me quite a bit too. I'm not sure of what because I haven't bothered to look into it 😅
    This post makes me want to delve into it. Thank you for that.
    Much love and I wish you the best~
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yeah definitely cherish him unfortunately nothing is guaranteed. I was lucky in that my brother and I had a random, or it seemed random, conversation about much we loved each other. Something's we'd never talked about our childhood, and a few others right before he died. Now I wonder if he didn't know on some level he was getting close and wanted to give me as much peace as possible.

• lyssagirl
    I am super close with my brothers and feel like theyve taught me a ton too. I am so sorry for your loss id be devastated
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yeah it's pretty awful.

• lyssagirl

Hugs girl

• Thank you I appreciate that. He was a great guy.

Most Helpful Guys

• Anonymous
    I'm so sorry you lost him. Sounds like you two had a great relationship.

Thanks for sharing this. It's refreshing to see a woman say something positive about men, or at least not negative. Saying anything positive about men is very unfashionable for women these days.
    Is this still revelant?
  • HeyMikie
    Wonderful piece. I learned much about women from my sisters, especially my younger sister. Luckily we are all still alive.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

62
  • Guardian45
    I'm an 'Only', so I was never fortunate enough to experience what you did.

But I have a half-sister, who I adore, and we are relatively close. I would like to think that we will be as close a relationship as you were blessed to have. My condolences on your loss.
  • MlleCake
    It sounds like you both loved each other very much.
  • Brothers are gods gifts to girls. I have two younger brothers and I wouldn't change them for anything.
  • TheWaterisFine
    My brother is one of my best friends 🖤 I'm glad you had a team mate in this world.
  • CandacePerry
    Sorry for your brother lose. I only have two sisters.
  • Yeah you have to always watch out. It’s not just guys it’s women too.
  • sheepdip
    I'm sorry you lost your brother.
  • Anonymous
    I dont have any brothers but you literally realizing that men are human beings too. You dont have to have brothers to know that
    • Well he helped at much younger age. I came from a family were gender stereotypes were a little to present. Men were often treated like they were always right or perfect. So I didn't have the best viewpoint to begin with.

• Anonymous

Oh ok interesting

• I probably could have been cleared on that point. It wasn't so much that he made me realize as he really enrichment my understanding