A glimpse into the beauty of the Edwardian time period

lanadelrey25

"The Edwardian era or Edwardian period of British history spanned the reign of King Edward VII, 1901 to 1910, and is sometimes extended to the start of the First World War. The death of Queen Victoria in January 1901 marked the end of the Victorian era."

I believe for most people, Edwardian isn't a word at the top of their vocabulary and instead when speaking of the 1900's they simply say "1900's". Some people might even say "Edwardian" should only be used when speaking of 1900's England, since "Edwardian pays homage to Edward VII. But the fashions and styles of Edwardian England had a grand effect on many foreign places, America being a prominent one.

When one hears "1900's" it's probably safe to assume they think of drab, unhappy portraits, factory workers and unattractive women. Which was a big part of America's early 20th century, but I would like to shed a little light onto the beauty of the Edwardian time period and sheer elegance of the art that comes with it.

Granted, many of the fashions included might have typically been reserved or only available for the prominent and wealthy part of society, but I hold a great amount of passion for this style and modest elegance.

Here are some random beautiful things from the Edwardian time period;

Women:

The clothes:

The art:

Movies with beautiful Edwardian influences;

Titanic:

My fair lady:

The importance of being Earnest play
The importance of being Earnest play

Yes, I did include Lady Bracknell. She is the epitome of female modesty and elegance.

I love fashions ranging from he 1700's to the 1950's. I hope you enjoyed a look into my favorite time period! Feel free to suggest another era for me to do next.

10
3

Most Helpful Girls

• menina
    "Yes, I did include Lady Bracknell." 😂😂😂 I love this comment! This was interesting, I knew nothing about Edwardian era so I learned something from your take. 😊
    Definitely didn't expect to see black women from this time, wonder what they did to wear those clothes...
    Also I liked the dresses and the art.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you!! I'm glad you learned something! And yes, there were so many beautiful black women from all era's, except I couldn't find any painting of them for my 18th century take :(

• menina

You're welcome! Yes, I believe there were. And well I guess you know why you didn't find any painting that featured a black woman, don't you?

• Of course I know why, but I still have been looking. If I could update a my take I would with any painting I do find (because I am determined to!)

• DizzyDesii
    Love theseA glimpse into the beauty of the Edwardian time periodA glimpse into the beauty of the Edwardian time period
    Is this still revelant?
    • Yeah, I'm in love with the second gown

• DizzyDesii

For the second, iā€™d cut the sleeves and keep the hand/arms glove. Love that

Most Helpful Guys

• StephenCF
    Iā€™m in awe of the Edwardian period and aesthetic 😍 Iā€™m even collecting some Edwardian menswear and recently ordered an Edwardian umbrella 🌂🎩
    Is this still revelant?
  • COMMODOREII
    Oh yeah for sure elegant. I have to admit i love the era of the 1700s with the clipper ships and wigs. Very classy.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

18
  • Gwenhwyfar
    Amazing!

Do you like Gwendolyn or Cecily better? Could you refresh my memory on the difference between the two of them?
    • Gwendolyn is Lady Bracknell's daughter who takes very much after her mother, she can come off as arrogant or pretentious and very intelligent, how a Victorian lady should act. Cecily is much kinder and innocent, I like Gwendolyn better lol

• Gwenhwyfar

Thank you šŸ˜Š

• You're welcome!

• GoodGuyBreakingBad
    Thanks for sharing yes that time period of clothing was amazing and puts me in deep thinking?
  • ahmadali01
    Much like one of our earlier Friday videos from 1895, the people here may have been arranged before the camera, but no one is acting. Seeing how everyone walks, how their clothes move and how they carry themselves, the carriages and wagons and early motor cars - it's as close as we'll get to being able to look backwards in time more than a hundred years.
  • Bluemax
    You might enjoy the movie Somewhere in Time. My wife liked it more than I, but I thought it was was intriguing.

I did love John Barry's score. Reminds me of Rachmaninoff.
  • Jjpayne
    Very well put together my take! Lots of good info and great visuals! Well done!
  • Guanfei
    Rich women were magnificent at that time.
    For the common people, I wouldn't be so certain. They were certainly more feminine than many modern women, tho.
  • alance99
    Nice Mytake.
    Those women look so pretty and their clothes are so unique and gorgeous and heavy with so much work but it looks nice overall and they carried it well
  • zagor
    Ah yes, the good old days when syphilis had no cure.
  • British_Empire_1707
    The Edward's era was only 9 years long.