Is 5'3" short for an 18 year old female?

I'm 18 years old and 159 cm tall, which I think converts to about 5'3". I look online and see that 'short' is considered to be about 5'1" and under, and anything above 5'3" is average. Also the average height for females in my country is 161.8 cm, which is like 5'4". So I'm technically only a little bit below average. BUT at school I'm like the third shortest girl in our year group, and I always get people telling me how tiny I am. I'm confused though because everyone tells me I'm short, and I've always considered myself to be short, but technically I'm only slightly shorter than average. What do you think?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, you're a short person, and I don't know what your country is but here in America most people are taller than that, but being short isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially for girls.

0|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Height is relative. I'm tall at 5'9, but if I'm in a room with other taller people, guess who is now short or shorter. Average, short, tall... they are all relative to where you are and who you're being compared to. I would consider you short because to me you are shorter than me. Average height in the US is like 5'4-5'7 for women, so if I went by that standard, you'd be slightly, as you said, off average, but again, depends on who you are with and who you are comparing yourself to.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 9

• I am 189 cm and I find people who is ur tall not short

0|0
    0|0
  • Short & Probably adorable.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yur not short

0|0
    0|0
  • Short, but not a problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm 5'4" and I don't consider myself that short.

0|0
    0|0
  • yeah but its cute

0|0
    0|0
  • Thats OK OK height for a girl
    Be thankful that you are a girl , it's acceptable... imagine if you were a male...

0|0
    0|0
  • my moms 44 and 5"2

0|0
    0|0
  • 5'1-5'4 are all pretty good heights for women. I'd prefer a 5'3 over 5'5 or 5'6.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 9

• I think you are fine. I am shorter than you and 25 ><.

0|0
    0|0
  • Well its the average that's telling you that your short and you may be a little short not much but still kinda short

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm the same age and the same height and people say I'm on the shorter side of the spectrum lol.

0|0
    0|0
  • Iam 5'2" and iam 18 and i stopped growing 5 year ago

0|0
    0|0
  • Average but still on the small side.

0|0
    0|0
  • A little short, but not too crazy

0|0
    0|0
  • sounds a little short

0|0
    0|0
  • You are short average height for girls is 5 '5. I'm 5 '8 though... so I'm taller than average 😁 But it's okay you have more options in guys

0|0
    0|0
  • You're definitely short, but not too short. I know a girl who is 4'11.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes