Is 5'3" short for an 18 year old female?

I'm 18 years old and 159 cm tall, which I think converts to about 5'3". I look online and see that 'short' is considered to be about 5'1" and under, and anything above 5'3" is average. Also the average height for females in my country is 161.8 cm, which is like 5'4". So I'm technically only a little bit below average. BUT at school I'm like the third shortest girl in our year group, and I always get people telling me how tiny I am. I'm confused though because everyone tells me I'm short, and I've always considered myself to be short, but technically I'm only slightly shorter than average. What do you think?

1010

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, you're a short person, and I don't know what your country is but here in America most people are taller than that, but being short isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially for girls.

Most Helpful Girl

• Height is relative. I'm tall at 5'9, but if I'm in a room with other taller people, guess who is now short or shorter. Average, short, tall... they are all relative to where you are and who you're being compared to. I would consider you short because to me you are shorter than me. Average height in the US is like 5'4-5'7 for women, so if I went by that standard, you'd be slightly, as you said, off average, but again, depends on who you are with and who you are comparing yourself to.