What's your opinion on culture appropriation? More specifically.. "White dreadlocks"?

Better known as white people wearing dreadlocks... Some examples being:
What's your opinion on culture appropriation? More specifically.. What's your opinion on culture appropriation? More specifically.. "White dreadlocks"?What's your opinion on culture appropriation? More specifically.. "White dreadlocks"?What's your opinion on culture appropriation? More specifically.. "White dreadlocks"?
I'm asking this question because I just saw this video..

And I wasn't aware that this was some sort of real issue or whatever.. I honestly have never seen an issue in people of any color skin having dreadlocks... My dad actually has dreads.. So this is a topic that hits somewhere close to home for me.. I honestly just see it as a hairstyle and nothing more or less than that. Sure sure... you could tie it down to a culture or whatever.. But why? It's only a hairstyle.. (and one that's trending right now actually.) There's no need to attack anyone for wearing a freaking hairstyle. That woman saying "it's my culture" is being pretty unreasonable from how I see it. I understand "culture" as being more of a widespread and somewhat all-seeing appropriation or what have you... Basically.. I don't see many people sporting dreadlocks. Not even black people. It's just a hairstyle. Sure, it's cool that it has an origin that connects to your culture or whatnot.. But it's not your culture.. If that makes sense? It's hard to explain but I hope that I got my point across. But for example.. If I recall correctly.. It was Native Americans that started braiding hair.. You don't see anyone being attacked for having a fishtail braid or anything.. You're simply decorating your hair. There's no need to cause any kind of fuss about it lol.

What do you think of this kind of stuff? Do you find it offensive that people will wear hairstyles from different cultures etc? If you're black or feel strongly connected to this like I do.. How do you feel about people doing this? Do you find it offensive to your culture?
Updates:
Just would like to say a quick thank you to all of those who took the time to answer my question here! I really appreciate it! <3

1|0

Most Helpful Guy

• On one side, people should wear whatever they want. listen, use or talk with what they identify with, whether its dreadlocks, clothing or music preference. food, language or customs. What I don't agree with is people adopting things in order to make fun of it. If they use something just to ridicule, then i dont agree.
    Extra information: I am an African man, whos culture is hitting hard in Portugal (Europe). our music, dressing and customs are being adopted my many portuguese citizens. Am I mad about it? no. Why would I be mad that people like the place where I am from and even to the point where they would choose to adopt it?

0|2
    0|0
    • Agreed! If it's going to take a harmful route then it's not really spreading culture but moreso harming it

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree with you. There's no "violation of property rights" when someone decides to wear a bindi or have dreads. Let people wear their hair however they'd like lol. It doesn't only to apply to hairstyles but food, fashion, etc. Culture is pretty widespread and it's gonna have an impact on entertainment and media everywhere. All cultural appropriation does is promote hostility and segregation.

2|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 49

• As a black man, and the son of a reformed former Black Panther, I think everyone is just making reasons to be mad these days. i don't actually believe "Black" is a culture. We have America, with variations. It is impossible to appropriate something that isn't a real thing. Besides all of that, after centuries of being treated like crap by whites, shouldn't we be happy if a few white people want to look like us? C'mon people, live and let live.

1|5
    0|0
    • Very well said! I agree 156%! I definitely believe people just like to start stuff for no real reason these days.. And I hate it.

• I agree with your insight..

• Cultural appropriation, yeah that concept is bullshit, and also ends up being racist/ignorant towards those cultures that are supposedly being "appropriated." It was called cultural appropriation when in the TV show Iron Fist they showed a white dude learning kung fu. That's apparently stealing from the Asian culture. Yet many Asians themselves fired back, asking then: "Does that mean we're you're circus monkeys, the only ones who are allowed to do kung fu? No, that's stupid."

4|2
    0|0
    • Well said! I agree

• well thar was a small section of Asian that fired back. what people were really angry at how there a low representation of Asians in American media. but the samw sjw didn't do their home work on iron fist and know he's a white dude. i see both sides

• Only reason people should be mad about Iron Fist is the fact that it's just bad lol

• Dreadlocks is not "black thing". Dreadlocks has been around all over the world forever and just recently (during the last 50 years or so) become a "black thing" because it hasn't been that common in Europe for the last few centuries. So it's not something that belongs to any specific culture. White people with dreadlocks have existed before.

2|3
    0|0
  • The first known examples of the dreadlock hairstyle come from Ancient Egypt. Recently scientists have found that the Ancient Egyptians were actually more closely related to modern Europeans and inhabitants of the Near East than to present day Egyptians. They're more related to Turks than to black Africans.

The Old Testament also recounts the tale of Samson and Delilah in which a man's potency is directly linked to 'the seven locks on his head' and according to Roman accounts, the Celts were described to have 'hair like snakes' Germanic tribes, Greeks and the Vikings are all said to have worn dreadlocks too.

So the idea that dreadlocks are for black people only is completely false.

Even if it were, the people who says so tend to be hypocritical liberals. These people are anti-racist, they say that race is just a social construct, that we're all one race, that we should all come together as one and not treat each other differently - then what does it matter if we all take from different cultures? Don't black people also enjoy things from white cultures? Also, these people (falsely) claim that we all come from Africa - if that was the case then white people would have black African ancestors who wore dreadlocks, so the entire argument is completely bogus.

2|4
    0|1
  • Dreadlocks, may be appropriate in some professions, but may not be in others.

As for fads and fashions America is pretty diverse among the younger generations and for one race to criticize another based on dreadlocks is being racist and what is really wrong with this country.

1|0
    0|0
  • The CO issue is crap... If a black woman can straiten her hair or bleach it light brown or blond and nobody has an issue, why, if a white person likes the style, why should that bean issue... Bindi's, dreadlocks, head scarfs, bla bla bla it people looking for issues.. that is all

2|0
    0|0
    • Pretty much! People just love to make drama these days

• I dont really think its considerate to people's sensitivity. I dont really have a problem with it except for those who dont care what it signifies. If you want to embrace black culture, more power to you. But if its just a trend or fad to the person then its offensive

0|0
    2|1
    • How is it offensive if someone simply chooses to wear their hair in one style opposed to another?

• its because it has a meaning. if someone goes by your "one hairstyle of another" philosophy then its inconsiderate because its only fashion. it devalues all meaning behind it. just know what it means and care, its not that hard.

• I mean.. Think about what you're saying though... If you're to go around and care that significantly about such minor details.. You're in for a trip, no offense. It's cool that you think that like.. But realistically.. It won't get you anywhere so it's better to just stay simplistic sometimes.. Because, for example, what if you're to leave the house wearing one color tee shirt as opposed to another? In different cultures, different colors mean various different things.. So how would you ever leave the house wearing anything at that point? That's an extreme example but hopefully you get my drift.

• People get stupid about things. Indians could say that doing it doggy is in the kama sutra so it's their culture. White people could say that they invented banking so that's their culture. Chinese could say anyone using fireworks isn't respecting Chinese culture. Morons everywhere. Live and let live, and don't let the hater fill your mind with their tripe.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yeah pretty much. I also think that it's just because a lot of people like to create drama and stir up a fuss when there's really nothing wrong at all.

• I remember this video. And how I laughed when I saw it. As I always say the Left will always eat itself like a snake biting on its tail.
    I've said it many times, the useful idiots of the left are a rag-tag assortment of people who have nothing in common except for their hatred of White people (this often means self-hatred). Blacks overwhelmingly disapprove of gays, gays on the whole don't actually like lesbians and rarely outside the lgbt shop will they ever associate, same goes for lesbians and their feelings about gays. Feminists and trannys, that has gotten a little attention recently with many top tier feminists coming out against male to female trannys as actual women. Muslims don't like any of them, and all of the lefts ideas are at absolute odds with islam in every way except they see it as a threat to White people, especially Christians so they are all for importing masses of people that hate them.
    What tools like this white chocolate in the video don't get, is that your dreadlocks and skirt, your massive rap collection and poor fashion choices, or the White feminist always talking about solidarity or some other feel good one liner, is that your Whiteness is target one. All the rap CD's, African headscarves and drums will not save you from what's coming.

I actually like seeing them turn on each other. I love it. It is happening more and more, and it is almost always about the Whiteness of one leftist vs another.
    Feminists especially better get it, the non-white feminists are gunning for you. Stop being pathetic and take your own side.

0|3
    1|0
  • Your telling me I can't express myself how I please because my skin doesn't have enough melanin, which I have no control over. Sounds like bullying to me.

3|1
    0|0
  • seen this videk like 2 years ago. i really dont care. but i will say this blacks used to have to style. thier hair because having their hair their cultural way wasn't right for white American work place. but when a whitw pwrson does it its edgy and cool hip.

1|0
    1|0
    • Yeah.. That had to suck a lot.. But nevertheless.. As a society we're slowly progressing forward.. Also, there's plenty of people who don't like white dreads at all.. You can see just on this question

• No we are not people hide there true feeling in order to save face in public whether that means for jobs , friends, or dont wanna be punish.

• I don't care about cultural appropriation in general, and whining about dreadlocks seems particularly stupid, mainly because any type of hair will turn into dreadlocks if you don't wash or comb it.

2|1
    1|0
  • So we gave black people automobiles, solid-state electronics, organic chemistry, quantum physics, Mozart, the Renaissance masters, the internet, and 99 cent burritos, and they gave us... dreadlocks? I think we lost that trade.

Y'all can have your dreadlocks and BeyoncΓ©, just leave your passports at the consulate on your way out the door.

1|0
    0|1
    • Who is we?

What the hell did you personally do?

If you can claim credit for the inventions of other people who have nothing in common with you but phenotypes (a very weak commonality) then black people should be able to take credit for being the first group of Homo Sapiens to migrate out of Africa into places like Europe and Asia. Which means that without black people there would be no white or Asian people.

It was a black doctor who performed the first successful open-heart surgery, can I take credit for that.

It was a black man who created the first blood bank which have saved millions of lives, can I take credit for that.

• Show All
    • And yet you're claiming things like dreadlocks and rap as your own, even though you had nothing to do with creating them. This is why Trump is president, the hypocrisy of the Left and of black people in specific.

• When did I ever claim dreadlocks and rap as my own?

Reading comprehension fail on your part.

• As long as white people give credit to the people who inveted said culture it's not wrong.

I am still waiting for white people to give credit to Indians for inventing yoga. It's such a shame that yoga is associated with white people.

0|0
    1|1
    • Whites, Native Americans, Asians, Europeans and African Descent shouldn't admit to anything about why they like to dress the way they do..

They don't need to walk around with a sign around their neck proclaiming where they got their sense of fashion from.

People with naturally curly aren't losing sleep when other's with straight hair are getting perms.

People with straight hair aren't losing sleep with those that have curly hair are straightening their hair.

Most people of any color don't even think about where yoga came from. But if it makes you feel better,, maybe you should advertise it on the internet, it will eventually circulate the globe.

Your comments appear to be racists in nature.

• Show All
    • @Anticipation
      And you whites have a beef with Indians calling us scammers, racist, pervs, "rape culture", ugly, blaming us for a whole host of problems from stealing jobs to tech support, making jokes about us and having a racist character called Apu appear on a T. V show for 30 years which is used to mock and bully Indians.

• no,, whites in general don't think about that stuff,, we are too busy trying to take care of our families,,

America is multi cultured,, probably one of the most diverse nations on the globe. We can't be bothered about where dreadlocks and yoga comes from.

You need to relax.

The outsourcing jobs you are referring isn't India's fault,, it is the fault of bad monetary policy by the Globe's Central Banks, which elevated hire costs' onto businesses and minimum wage growth, pricing ourselves out of the global economy.

• People should do what they like. I get the whole appreciation thing but it shouldn't matter.
    Oh personally no one pulls it off like any dark skin guy/girl.

2|0
    0|0
  • Hmm.
    1. Cultural appropriation? Like Idra Elbis taking a white character's role in Dark Tower?
    2. Dreadlocks are hideous. White people who wear dreadlocks are as hideous as white girls who get ear gauges. It should be illegal to be that fugly, leave primitive jungle styles in the jungle.

0|3
    1|0
  • "Cultural appropriation" is just many of the "cards" perpetuated by the intrinsically racist black victimhood culture and obviously, a bunch of bullshit.

3|2
    0|0
  • is her point even legitimate enough to even count as a reasonable argument. i mean can't we just classify her as another dumb human and go on with our lives πŸ˜‚

1|0
    0|0
  • Black people can have their hair styles and music back, but they have to give back all the machines and technology they've appropriated from white people. That's the deal.

1|3
    2|1
    • Contrary to your apparent belief, Whites are not the only ones who have ever helped move the dial of progress forward, and you have only a history book or several, to open up and actually take a look at the vast number of things that have been invented by people of all races all around the globe. You cannot appropriate a machine or technology. These are not living breathing things. I don't actually think you understand appropriation at all, because it is not one culture who has "given" something to another, but another who is taking something from the first and adopting and manipulating it for their own, so it is not theirs to "give back" as it were. There is nothing wrong with culture sharing if it's done in a respectful manner. Dreads, music, clothing, what have you. People learn and grow by being exposed to more than just their own culture all the time, but putting up fences and saying this is for Whites, this is for Asians, etc., just breeds unwanted hatred and mistrust.

• @BeeNee Regret to inform you, but hairstyles and genres of music are not "living breathing things" either. Nonetheless, they are elements of culture, just as institutions and mechanical inventions are a part of a culture. Black West Indians invented rap music in New York in the 1970s. White American men invented solid-state computing in the 1950s. These are facts. And as far as one group taking something and manipulating it, black people have taken the English language without permission from ethnic English people and bastardized it into what you call "Ebonics." So it's a two-way street. As I wrote previously, you all can cease using all the wonderful things European culture has invented and we will do likewise with cultural properties claimed by Africans in America.

• its so stupid they sound like kids "mine! mine!" im not even white but these BLM folk are so stupid. you wanna cry about slavery? you should THANK white people. be mad at the muslims. look at history north americans had a total of 12.7 million slaves with a death rate of 5%... the middle east had a total of 28 million with a death rate of 83%!!! and you yell at white poeple? and lets not forget the 1.25 million white people enslaved in africa. bottom line civilizations fight get over it

0|1
    1|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 23

• Wow... that last video - such bad acting...

Anyways, no, it's not cultural appropriation because it stems from Greece... so actually it's white people's culture. =)

1|1
    1|0
    • I'm not sure it was acting πŸ˜… From what I know it was an actual incident that occurred on a college campus.

But ah okay

• My mom has actually had dreads before ahahahaha, no one had a problem with it, black people complimented her. And I don't think its culture appropriation, its culture appreciation. My mother respect African Americans and their culture, and actually knows about it. I think some white guys look pretty hot with it too tbh.

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh cool! That's pretty sweet. And yeah some people totally rock the look πŸ˜πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ

• cultural appropriation is a concept for the ignorant...

guess what, dreds have been traced to man tribal civilizations including...

Vikings, celts, irish... so now, who's the ignorant person, the non white person for saying its cultural appropriation or the white person for doing what white people did historically? Just because a person is offended doesn't make them right no matter how obnoxious and stupid they are.

1|1
    0|0
  • I'm totally against cultural appropriation. White people should not wear dreadlocks and non whites should not use any white inventions, from mobile phones, modern medicine, clothing, cars, airplanes...

2|0
    1|0
    • And why is that? Life would be a lot harder without those kinds of things

• That girl is a troublemaker. I can't believe she had the audacity to say "Don't put your hands on me" AFTER she put her hands on him and was trying to keep him from walking away from her.
    It's disgusting that someone like this is employed at a university and harassing students.

1|1
    0|0
    • That's exactly what I was thinking! She's a student actually.. Whoever posted that video had that bit of information wrong.. But yeah it's gross that she tries to play the victim card after harassing that guy initially.

• Oh, that makes more sense, I was wondering who in their right mind would do that as an employee! And yeah, she is a hypocrite!

• Yeah! It's just asking to get fired and being unemployed for a long long time. And that she definitely is!

• i don't wanna touch this with a five foot pole buuuuut, I'm pretty sure dread locks don't belongs to any particular race tbh and to be upset white people wear them is ridiculous

2|2
    0|0
  • Only in America this is a thing. If you travel the world and speak to people, no one gives a fuck. Just go to Jamaica , you will see a lot of white people with dreadlocks and no one gives a shit or harass them like people in the US are now doing.

1|0
    0|0
    • Maybe so.. It's still somewhat of a problem though.. And the U. S. Is never going to run out of problems it seems

• I think people are making up stuff now.

• Yeah definitely.. But then again.. People always have made up stuff πŸ˜… Religion.. Race superiority etc. but that's an argument for another day lol

• You can't tie dreadlocks down to one culture. The vikikngs had dreadlocks and they were white... so?

3|1
    1|0
  • I find it offensive that any hairstyle would be categorized, restricted by, or relegated to a particular skin color.

2|0
    0|0
    • I do too actually.. Like why's there so much emphasis and importance placed on how someone simply wears their hair

• I don't think dreadlocks look good on white people but it's their hair, they can do what they want with it. As for the idea of cultural appropriation, I can see both sides of it but ultimately, as long as someone isn't being disrespectful about it, I don't see it as a problem. Cultures share ideas, styles, foods, etc. all the time, especially in diverse countries like the U. S.

Anyway, assuming this woman truly believes it is "her" culture, that's certainly not an excuse to put your hands on someone else. She has a right to voice her concerns, it's actually a good opportunity for discussion and understanding BUT that doesn't mean she has the right to touch him or stop him from walking away if he's done with the conversation. She was in the wrong there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think that's a stupid idea since it's only an argument that is ever used against white people by a generation that has never truly experienced racism the way our grandparents have. Not only that but thats how civilization expands. No one group has ever created something solely on their own. Look at the history of noodles. Europeans brought it over from China who brought it over from Persia who probably brought it over from somewhere else. German tribes, Greeks and vikings also had dreads. It doesn't belong to anyone since everyone was doing it. And tbh, if people started wearing something i associate with my culture I would be proud and support it. I like sharing. Like hot wings! An Italian mom made that but you don't see Italians screaming at places selling wings because they aren't Italian. Yes, feel free to spread the accurate history but don't hoard a culture.

2|0
    0|0
  • "Culture appropriation" is a complete myth. It doesn't exist at all. People can wear/dress however they want whenever they want.

1|0
    0|0
  • Considering that dreadlocks look stupid on anyone, I question the white people who choose to wear those hideous things for their lack of fashion sense, not anything else. But do you really want to get into "cultural appropriation"? Millions of black people speaking English and wearing polo shirts, and you want to get into cultural appropriation? LOL okay...

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't think cultural appropriation is okay... I don't know about the dreadlocks myself because I really don't give a crap what others do, but when someone from a certain culture is borrowing styles/origins/roots from another culture and claiming it to be their own culture's style/etc. that is NOT okay. or shaming what other cultures do in terms of trends/beauty/style and all that... for example ; people have repeatedly made fun of black women for their lips/shape/body , then suddenly it is trendy and other cultures want that feature, but that culture didn't appreciate it on black women and they shamed them for it in the past. that is not okay either.

2|0
    1|2
    • Thank you, thank you, thank you

• Show All
    • @LiahRain Well maybe nothing alike was a bit harsh, not trying to distance myself from African Americans, I love African Americans, the whole world finds them cool but the only thing is most Africans view African Americans the same way Europeans view Americans. We might have had common ancestors a few hundred years ago but we're two different cultures and that's what makes the world a beautiful place, Multiculturism.

All I want to say is the beauty of culture is that any nation can adapt it, African Americans and Americans are one in my eyes, you shouldn't let simple things like that divide you.

• Sadly, we aren't one. African Americans and Africans. There's too much pain between us to be one. However, that makes us stronger.

• Cultural and Racial Appropriation is fine with me. to say. i am not stealing your culture and your style . i am admiring it. adopting and infusing its beauty and its essence into my consciousness.

it is the world evolving into new syncretisms = the fusing and the mixing of different thoughts, ideas religions, cultures, and ethnicities, as well as art, fashion, and music that often creates entirely new forms and new ones . its been going on for 10s of thousands of years .
    But only in this modern day world is it an issue .

1|0
    0|0
  • Why this thing even exist, im asking. Sounds so ridiculous that I can't think this could even be a subject to discuss. KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
    It's not appropriation, its the fashion look... everyone has it. wtf.

0|0
    0|0
  • There's nothing wrong with doing that except it just looks horrible

1|2
    0|0
  • It's perfectly fine. In my country people do "cultural appropriation" and people find it normal. It's not an issue at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • I honestly don't care how people choose to have their hair...

0|0
    0|0
    • Same here. I definitely don't believe it should be an issue

• I guess people who have dreadlocks just shouldn't claim they look better than black people.

But anyways, I was curious about what dreadlocks came from and apparently some of it originated from religious reasons. I guess it's good to know the meaning behind them, whether you wanna wear it for said religious reasons or for fashion.

Oh and apparently they don't look good on other people because their hair isn't curly or whatever. So it takes longer to create. Or they need other methods which aren't "natural".

0|0
    0|0
    • Yeah nobody should be doing that.. I hope that's not an issue.

Some people have mentioned some things about German tribes and Vikings? I'm not sure on any specifics though.

There's that as well I suppose!

• More from Girls

Recommended myTakes