The Loss of a New England Cultural Staple

The loss of a New England Cultural staple

I went down to do some shopping today, I got three t-shirts at bobs (Two Jaws shirts, one Force Awakens) I got headphones, and I got 40 bucks to amazon to buy a hat. The last place I went was the Liquor store. I asked if they carried applejack and was told not anymore. I bought my Hard Cider and went home feeling a little sad at what that meant. For those of you who don't know, Up until the 1850s the most popular drink in North America was Hard Cider and in New England the most popular Hard Liquor was a Drink called Applejack. Then beer became more popular due to certain advancements in pasteurization. But in New England Hard Cider still Reigned king.

Hard Cider and Applejack had been New England staples since the 17th century but that all changed with the National Prohibition Act and suddenly cider orchards all over New England were being forced to cease operations. Cider Orchards that had been in operation since the 18th century were either forced to close or in some cases, Temperance Activists burned the orchards and pressing facilities to the ground. Now Recently there has been a revival in interest in Hard Cider, but applejack is still hard to find. Until very recently the only producer of Applejack in the entire country was Laird's in New Jersey, which actually managed to survive prohibition but even with a few other companies now producing it. What was once a staple of New England Cuisine has been reduced to a shadow.

39
Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• My dad has an unopened bottle of laird's applejack. It's been in his bar for years.

• for a very long time till recently, they were the only ones in the country making it, till a couple other makers got into it

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

What Guys Said 8

• You can probably buy some cider apple saplings from the West Country (Dorset down to Cornwall) in England.

We stopped off at a pub on a visit down there and I asked for a pint from the plastic container on the counter, it was still and extremely strong, I was lucky I had someone else to drive the rest of the way. I wish I could remember what it was called!

I love cider.

• Ciders come back, Applejack hasn't sadly

• I've never tried it, does it taste like cider, or a bit like pear schnapps which doesn't taste much of pears, iirc?

I think the bag was Weston's Old Rosie, by the way. Not as strong as I thought, only 7.3% ABV, or 14.6 proof, for the septics.

• That sounds like exactly the kind of thing that's probably on the cusp of a massive revival.

• What gives me hope is the revival of Hard Cider, Hell Angry Orchard is owned by the boston Beer Company which means we already got one New England Tradition back

• I would honestly be shocked if nobody sees the potential.

• Rip western mass has the highest alcoholic rate in the area fuck my life

• Hard cider is just nasty. Drink beer.

• damn , so sad. i hate it when alcohol has to go

• Such a shame

• No doubt Obama's fault somehow.