Do you think it’s rude/insulting to add salt or pepper to your food without tasting it?

Someone plonks a plate of food down and you reach for salt and pepper without even tasting.

Do you think that’s rude? Are you saying “I already lack confidence in your food” or are you saying “my tastebuds only detect lethal levels of salt”

Yesterday, I spent 4 and a half hours cooking for 8 people. I tried so hard, I put on the table roast beef, roast potatoes, beans, cauliflower cheese, carrots in a Sherry and butter sauce, Yorkshire puddings and gravy. I made everything from scratch and I was so upset that without even putting any food on their plate one of the guests said “salt and pepper?”

I will admit, apart from the potatoes I do not season my food. I grew up in a house without it (not even salt in the veg water) and that’s just what I’m used to. By all means TRY the food and then ask but to simply assume? I found that really rude. The particular guest had already pissed me off because despite being asking 2 weeks, then 1 week, then 2 days in advance he gave me 4 hours notice he was coming.

Am I right to feel it’s rude?
  • Yes it’s rude
  • No it’s not
Okay... so to those saying it’s okay. Let’s say you buy a bag of salted crisps. Do you add salt without tasting them?

It’s the same concept. You’ve not tasted so you don’t know if it needs more. You are assuming. The difference here is someone’s already labelled it.

I find it interesting you don’t do it in restaurants but do at peoples homes... to me that says you lack confidence in them.

2353

Most Helpful Guy

• It's stupid. So much sugar and salt people eat, and have horrible palates when they need to always use pepper and salt. Well cooked and seasoned food doesn't need it and one has a shit palate if they need it all the time. It's no wonder americans have such a high rate of heart disease. Salt is bad for you. It's one thing eating when it's in almost everything, but it's another to choose to put salt on top of everthing when it already has salt in it and seasons. It does add up on the kidneys and heart. I think most people take in probably easily 3 or 4 times the daily amount of sodium one should have dailty. which I believe is 2,300mg of sodium.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm the kind of person that reaches for salt before tasting her food as well. I'm really into unhealthy levels of salt as of lately but the way I cook (and the way my mother cooks-i got it from her) I don't season the food too much. I prefer any guests to season their food themselves, so it'll have the exact amount of seasoning they like. After all good food is about more than just the right amount of salt and pepper.
    (but that dude not telling you he was coming soon enough is still rude as fuck)

• What about restaurants where they season it already? How do you know you don’t have a real chef cooking? Many cookbooks tell you to season as you go. I know I don’t but unless I said (which I didn’t go any guests) that I don’t season you wouldn’t know... I find it amazing people just add it without tasting!!!

• Yeah in restaurants I ain't doing that. And I do season my food, I don't leave it completely bland, it's just more on the mild side. I don't know, to some people I sort of adapt. I have a friend who harshly overseasons everything she cooks so whenever I'm at her place I know not to touch the salt. At other people's places I don't add huge amounts, I just know from personal experience that most people don't add enough salt for me to really enjoy the food (again, I eat too much. It's unhealthy, I need to lower my salt consumption), so I add just a tiny bit and then I taste it.