Is #MeToo a frantic witch hunt against men?

"#MeToo and #Timesup is another example of female mass histeria, like the Salem witch trials. It is normalizing accusations against men into the female hivemind groupthink. It is dangerous to allow this in an environment of no consequences for false aqusations."

a male columnist wrote. what do you think? has this been derailed as a straight up compulsive lying crusade against men? or all stories are honest?

• totally legit
    Vote A
  • it gets me thinking
    Vote B
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
by the way many cases have been reported where women were proven by the court to be lying or confessed they did, and men being sentenced to many unfair years of imprisonment. from students destroying their teachers' career and life to any kind of environments. thats what makes me a sceptic.

0|3

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not. With any movement or cultural challenge, there are a few people who will use it as an excuse to do evil things. It has been in all kinds of situations: religions, political movements, racial movements, anti war protests etc. It does not reflect on the entire thing. For example, if I go do some terrible thing in the name of Christianity like violence, should it reflect on the entire religion? No, because I'm athiest and the religion doesn't support what I did. So if a few people use the #MeToo campaign to manipulate and hurt others, it's on them alone, nor the entire movement. Hell, I had to post #MeToo myself. So no, it's not a frantic witch hunt.

5|2
    0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• Honestly, I think most stories are probably honest. No one is getting anything from making allegations.

Well, I mean, Kevin Spacey got fired. But it made more sense to have Christopher Plummer in that role anyway.

And in my short career, I can honestly say that I’ve been sexually harassed in basically every job that I’ve had.

So I think that it’s legitimate.

0|1
    0|0
    • Source for your update?

• Show All
    • true, i get what you mean. but those who are wrongfully accused cannot even walk in the park and parents looking at them with suspicion and pulling their kids away. social marginalisation and prejudice is some times worse than legal punishment. there is a nice norwegian movie about that with a teacher and a girl that wrongfully accused him.

• If the conviction is overturned, they do.

If the case is dropped by the prosecutor, the do.

If charges are never laid, they do.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 32

• It doesn't get me thinking because I know that is exactly what it is about these days. No due process, just accuse someone, get your friends to make stories and then suddenly the guy is suspended or loses their job because 15 years ago he and the girl were drunk at a frat party and kissed.

The movement had good intentions at the start and many cases were no doubt true, but it has, as I expected, spiralled out of control and now any female and their dog can make any claim they want if they have a bone to pick and within hours, that guy's life is ruined. They lose their job, their families are torn apart, the public outcasts them... All before any legal actions have been taken and accusations have been proven in a court of law.

This isn't anything new either. There have been spats of these things happening in the 90's and early 2000's but it was from women going through the legal system and using the he said she said battle where courts would sympathize with the women and send the guy to jail. Many cases were true, many cases were false, yet some of those that were later found to be false claims weren't determined that until a while after the guy was tossed in jail.

Now we have a whole new and much easier way of ruining a guy's life and all you need to do is use social media, use a hashtag and bypass the legal system all together.

There is nothing right about these movements.

0|0
    0|0
  • It absolutely is a witch hunt. Its to garner attention, get pity, get money etc. According to one of the only studies done on the subject about 40% of all sexual harassment/rape allegations are provably false. That's PROVABLLY false, so who knows how many are not provable but still false. The fact is you look at Hollywood and these people are friends with those that are being outed and now they act surprised. Look at Oprah she was friends with Wienstein, even admitted to knowing of the rumors yet then acts surprised when he is caught and then plays victim? Then all these other women have come out and claimed to be victims but have also been proven to be lying, some I think are even using it to cover up the fact that they where more then happy to use the casting couch and sex to further their careers. Don't get me wrong, some times it is true, but the problem is when women accuse men of anything really but especially of sexual harassment and rape, people just take their word for it and the man is branded guilty, no matter if their is no evidence for it or not.

0|1
    2|0
    • Not true, also. You say 40% are probably false, so out of that 40% maybe 75% are false. So out of the total that's about 25-30% (math isn't my strong suit). While I don't believe this study without sources, are you saying that because about this many are false, the whole thing is wrong? Why about the ones that aren't false, on top of that, the campaign isn't just about individuals, ts about the ones who see it and for one reason or another can't say #MeToo because it will harm them. Or about awareness of how big of a problem it is. Every cause has people who use it wrong, from religion to race to gender to class. Everything can be twisted, in this case, the message is important and the majority is true.

• Show All
    • @Oceania Nothing more because if half of them are using it as an excuse to get back at people or cover their own actions then you cannot say its primarily for a good cause. Hence its a witch hunt and nothing more because #MeToo didn't come into the picture until AFTER all the people who we can prove did wrong where called out on it.

• @Oceania Further more as I pointed out the men who also where sexually harassed are ignored, the ones who point out that they are being falsely accused or their are men are being falsely accused are attacked by these women for being "selfish" for also pointing out that they have suffered ergo it has nothing to do with equality or justice, again I gave links and evidence to show that this is what is happening. If you don't want to believe that or acknowledge that its up to you but that's what this movement is doing and so no I will not state that its for justice or a good cause when it very much isn't.

• It started off pretty legit, but at this point it's just a way for feminists to push their agenda. For example, many openly feminist men have been accused and proven guilty but their feminist friends defend them with passion, since they can't spread their belief that white, conservative men are the biggest threat to women if liberal Beta males also get convicted.

1|2
    1|1
  • I think these poll options are weighted. You can't post things to make people think and then have the options be "Yes" or "It made me think". That said, I think that with all its flaws, the #MeToo movement has been an eye opening moment that everyone needed to stop and think about. It's a national conversation that needs to happen.

0|0
    0|0
  • I have a few friends whom were falsely accused, one of whom lost his athletic scholarship. I feel that there should be the same sentencing they give to an actual offender to the false accusers.

2|3
    0|0
  • I wonder how many times it would take for people to realise that movements are so easily vulnerable to be hijacked for personal means and gains. While it does empower various people, I won't deny that, it also empowers those unintended for. Doesn't even have to be a witch hunt, could be used as a layer of protection instead.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't feel like watching any of the videos, but based off the description within the thumbnail of the last video. I think Danny should probably be provided financial compensation for the time wrongfully spent in prison.
    'His annual salary * 2 * the amount of years he spent in prison' (or more) should suffice.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think it is both. There are too many guys who treat others like waste. Using the dependence within business, their innocence or lack of experience to harass girls. This makes me sick. But at the same time all those "professional female victims" are also having a great time. "O my god, I could swear he just checked out my ass, I gonna need a therapy for life"

0|1
    0|0
  • MeToo as a movement was hijacked by man-hating feminists early on, and has been solidified as a man-hating witch hunt hashtag with the support of the women like the one accusing Aziz Ansari of rape because she regretted casual sex. This only gives me a greater distaste for feminism as a whole because of the widely accepted perversion of a perfectly good and productive movement.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, it's not the regular man hating shit, it's mainly to do with hollywood and the music industry where a lot of abuse does occur, anyone who's been in it for an extended period of time as seen this AND MEN AS WELL hell my dad used to act not even that much and they tried to bring him up to the hotel room, he was smart though and valued his dignity more than money

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't see the whole #MeToo thing as anything more than something silly people say sometimes.

But I can see where the guy is coming from.
    Society is pretty much teaching girls to overreact without putting any checks on them.

0|1
    1|0
  • Some of the accusers have gotten out of control, I forgot her name but I think she was wild with her accusations.

But overall it seems a corrupt system might be facing a formidable enemy now (AKA I think the movement's good)

0|0
    0|0
  • Neither. I don't see it at all as attacking men. I see it as people standing up to let each other know that they've been there, that it will get better, and that they're not alone. It's not a legal action, it's open and I would even say encouraged for men to join as well. Men are assaulted too, and it's important for those who have been to not feel as though they will be judged for talking about it.

That said, I do have a problem with how our legal system handles rape cases, but particularly with Title IX legislation in schools which I find to be discriminatory to the accused.

2|0
    0|0
  • I think there are enough examples that seem all too convenient. There are accusations against political figures that just get me thinking, due to the fact that there has been nothing in their character, speech, behavior, etc, to lead me to believe they're the kind of person... but then comes along several young women before elections kick off with accusations that ruin the reputation of the politician and lose him the election. If there's no consequence for a false accusation, I think that simply encourages people to make false rape accusations simply out of spite for an ex, or a strict teacher or just someone they don't like.

0|1
    0|0
  • I think #metoo is legit (I voted wrong by mistake though).

1|0
    0|0
  • I don't really pay much attention to it other than whats shoved in my face on the internet and television media.
    It does get me thinking though - definitely seems like it. I have seen some men try and use the MeToo movement to voice their concerns and make known their experience as victims of rape and sexual harassment... but I rarely hear any of their stories being brought to light. I guess it's a woman's exclusive club? I thought thousands of these things existed for women already, we need more?

0|2
    1|0
    • I gave my story and received support from all tje women I know, I got criticism from men. Women aren't usually shaming men, it's other men. So part of the reason in my opinion is that you maje a story of a male brought to light, they will be more criticized then women.

• We seem to be surrounded by different people.

• It was mostly online so people from all over.

• For the most part no, not right now. At the margins, possibly.

0|1
    0|1
  • The basic idea was long overdue. But it was exploited by a number of wrong people. Let us try again, and better this time

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes just more man hating by feminists as per usual. We should really take our lead from the French.

0|1
    1|1
  • It wasn't, at first, be quickly became a witch hunt. Used by neo-feminist to push their idea that mens are all perverts and rapists.

0|0
    0|0
  • it gets me thinking

2|2
    1|0
  • Yes. It's spreads man-hating.

1|2
    1|1
  • They are only hurting themselves

1|1
    2|1
  • It’s a bull crap propaganda..

0|2
    0|0
  • Yeah

0|2
    1|1
  • Yup.

0|0
    1|0
    • I am a feminist by the way.

• Show All
    • So many rape victims get their lives destroyed or commit suicide... I believe #metoo saves more lives than it damages. I agree that it's not the way the judiciary system should work, but #metoo isn't the judiciary system and so it doesn't have the same effect.

I don't wish that every people accused by a hashtag get thrown in jail, but I think that it is doing more good than bad.

It also makes us realise how much the law hasn't been doing its job (otherwise #metoo wouldn't have happened) and that we need to make it better, fast.

• I agree unigel, no social movement is perfect, every single one has been used to manipulate or sadly has innocents hurt. No, it's not good but it's part of change. As someone who has been abused I can say it needs to be done. As someone who was wrongly accused (because it wasn't as fun for her as she wanted), it still needs to happen. Its about awareness to those who cannot speak up as well and helps them too.

• Does the title end with a question mark?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yep it is! Fuck Feminism!!!

0|0
    0|0
  • yes i think so. thats my biggest fear is being accused of rape or sexual harrasment because i would never do that and i would never be able to repair my reputation anything i wouldve had going for me would be gone and im black so id be going to jail no matter if they say im guilty or not. this happened to one of my friends how the day after he had consensual sex she said he raped her even tho she was the one who came on to him and neither of them were drunk.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, guys are done.

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 12

• Maybe they aren't all true but the ones who lie jeopardize the entire movement and make it harder for actual victims. But for the few lies said there are a thousand unheard voices so it's not "normalizing accusations against men", it's changing the normalization of objectifying women leading to harassment and assault.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its not a witch hunt UNLESS the "perpetrators" name has been stated. More than 90% of the #MeToo posts don't even mention a name and all they really want is to not bottle up what they have experienced and just try to find some kind of closure by getting support from others who have experienced the same thing because thats the only thing that they have going for them, because evidence is so hard to get and court isn't often an option.

It has also given a voice to men who have experienced sexual abuse and rape and allows them to see and feel that they're not alone and get support. Their voices and other real victims shouldn't be shut or disbelieved just because of a few bad apples that are taking advantage of this (and destroying it for everyone else).
    I would say that the MeToo thing is not a bad thing at all and shouldn't necessarily need to be questioned UNLESS they have stated a name, thats when you bring someone other than yourself into the picture.

2|2
    0|1
    • That's the disgusting part of it, one person can make accusations anonymously.

Everyone knows who Liam Allan is, nobody knows who accused him.

• It started off as an honest movement. But of course it ended up being something that women took advantage of to berate and put men down. Every allegation needs to have evidence of actual assault and not just “He touched my butt when we were at a bar, drunk. Therefore he’s a sex offender.”

As for victims who can’t give evidence, this is also a problem that I wish i had answers to. But what saddens me is that true victims of the #MeToo movement will soon start to be ignored because of the exaggerated accusations of other dishonest people.

1|1
    0|0
  • No, it is not. Maybe... If that many women are saying it... your favorite dude sucks...

Also I actually study the Salem witch trials and that's a real bad comparison lol

0|0
    0|1
    • It's the saying that goes with it. What comparison would you choose? Inquisition?

• I am pretty sure if I got raped I would not wait 30 years to complain about it and get the person jailed. I would do it right away when I was still angry.

0|2
    0|0
    • And before you have to suffer with it for 30 years while the asshole wanders around having a good time.

• Yes, there are sometimes false accusations. They appear to be about 2-8% of all accusations brought to police.

Most women I know who participated in #metoo chose not to name anyone, especially since most of them had been harassed or abused by so many different people in different ways that they wouldn't know where to begin.

The point of this movement has been to show people how prevalent the problem is without anyone needing to take it to the police, or name the aggressor or any of that - just to say, yeah, this happened to me too.

Some people have also chosen this as the time to name and shame. I chose not to. They have their reasons. But it's not like Police are out there drumming up women to make complaints. This is an individual choice on the part of those women. No one is putting them up to it.

Why do you assume any of them have been lying?

0|0
    0|0
  • I think #MeToo is a great movement, ESPECIALLY since it has shed light on men who are victims of harassment or assault. AND that women can be perpetrators as well. It's illustrating how widespread the problem is and showing the extent to which it permeates. Of course, there's always a too far--hurling accusations and hoping they stick is obviously too far. But I do not think that the movements are meant to demonize men. It outlines what is constituted as harassment, what is constituted as assault, and shows that it does happen and that's the reality of the situation. The legal system IS flawed with handling so many cases--sometimes by refusing to investigate the accused's side and sometimes by blaming the victim. There's good and bad inside every movement, this one is no exception.

0|0
    0|0
  • Given how common sexual harassment is, I’m inclined to believe most allegations are valid.

1|2
    0|4
  • Isn't there any law in the US for wrongful accusations?

0|0
    0|0
  • i think people are just overwhelmed by it and thus don't believe its real. its just that women, young girls, are finally able to come out now against powerful men and they are giving each other courage and support which is letting so many other women speak up. women are speaking up against sexual abuse and rape and people are saying they are just "man-hating"? like if someone shot or stabbed you would u say the victim is "human-hating" i think it really makes u think about what really has been going on underneath in our culture. like sexual abuse is that common and we are feeling that now and i feel like that's just making people uncomfortable which is good and they need to deal with it instead of just pushing it aside

0|0
    0|0
  • I think there are faults withing these types of movements but they'll always be a fault in everything. But to label the WHOLE movement as something created by women to just attack males is a bit exaggerated, because if we are to look at the things that were true and how many times those occured compared to the false accusations, you can see there is a problem. Also the fact that this male columnist lables this actual problem as hysteria feeds into the thinking that women just do things because they're overly emotional.
    Feminism in itself is sometimes regarded as women just being excessive but it really is just fighting for a right and equality. However, sometimes it's forgotten that men also go through similar experiences, but because it's in a smaller margin, it's not as widely paid attention to. And those that are falsely accused should gain compensation and the women should receive the requiered consequences. But you cannot tell someone who is in an actual problem that they just do it for pity because they are joining a movement that is bigger than them to try and find a voice.

2|0
    0|1
  • I think it’s almost entirely legit BUT it’s leaving out crucial stories of sexual abuse and assault that happened TO men.

Those cunts that leave men out of the story need to wake up. Sexual assault and abuse is very common and very destructive - for both sexes, particularly children. 🙁

0|1
    0|0
    • Terry Crews is a part of Me Too. Calm down.

• Show All
    • I am passionate about sexual abuse because of experience from childhood as well. It’s hard to speak up, but it’s backwards that the people harmed are the ones shamed into silence. Kudos to you for coming forward!

• Definitely, I've actually been on both sides. Falsely accused and actually a victim when I was younger. I still fully support #MeToo, it needs to happen. Not just for celebrities, even though they are focused on. Everyone who has been a victim of it. The celebrities get attention which I'm glad because it means more to the population, but all of them are necessary

Recommended myTakes