Moderators help keep the GAG community a helpful and safe environment for everyone. They are volunteer users who make recommendations to the admins regarding content which should be removed from the site. Moderators temporarily hide content that violates the guidelines of the site until an admin can review it.
There are 3 types of moderators:
There are also admin users:
GirlsAskGuys Admin Staff
More information about moderation and moderators can be found here.
How to become a GAG Mod?
There are several factors considered while appointing Mod Status.
1. Xper level 5+: A Mod should know the "GAG culture" and how the site works. By Xper Level 5, a user should be well aware this as well as what the posting guidelines are. This is why only xper level 5+ users are considered when selecting moderators.
2. Report success ratio: This is one of the most important criteria that is looked at when deciding who would make a good moderator. When a user reports posts that they feel violates the guidelines of the site, the reported post is evaluated by the admins who then decides to either remove or reinstate the post. The success rate on reports by each user is calculated by the system automatically. A user with a high percentage success rate on reports is more likely to get a moderator invite.
3. Being a top user: When deciding who should become a moderator, it is also important to look for users who are active on the site and log in frequently, these are considered "top users." They are users who are active and post interesting, informational, or helpful content. Being an active member and contributing to the site is an important aspect of being a moderator. We like to see users who are engaged in the GirlsAskGuys community and interacting in a positive way with other users.
4. Communicating clearly with other members: It is important to show your ability to communicate effectively with other members. Users who strive to help others and conduct themselves clearly on the site are more likely to be noticed for possible moderator status. It's also great to see users who can handle themselves calmly in debates and show good judgement. Objectivity is something that is important for moderators. Everyone has their own opinions, views, and beliefs on certain topics. However, you can still voice those values to someone without making it personal, or being offensive.
5. Providing quality questions and opinions: Posting content that is well thought out and in-depth rather than one or two word answers is what makes a user stand out and be considered for possible moderator status. Elaborate on your posts and make sure it is helpful, insightful and easily understandable. Similarly, when asking questions, make sure it is valuable, interesting, and grammatically correct. These are all factors that are taken into account when choosing moderators.
SuperMod and UberMod Promotions
Other than simply deciding who to extend moderator invitations to, it is also important to look at the current moderators activities to gauge who should be promoted. There is criteria that goes into these decisions as well.
1. Hide success ratio: When a Moderator hides a post on the site, the Admins will review it and make a final decision. Having a high hide success ratio means that a lot of the posts a Moderator has hidden has been removed by the admins. If an admin is constantly having to reinstate posts hidden by a moderator, that moderator is less likely to be considered for promotion to super mod or uber mod and may even lose their mod status.
2. Report success ratio: Although regular mods cannot hide questions or myTakes they should still keep reporting these posts so that they demonstrate their knowledge about which questions/myTakes do not meet the GAG guidelines. A moderator with a high report success ratio for questions is more likely to be promoted to super moderator.
3. Being a helpful mod: Engaging with the site in positive ways, establishing a good relationship with the community, and seeking to help other users with either site-related or personal questions is a great quality for a mod to have. These mods are more likely to be promoted.
As you can see, there are many factors that determine whether or not a user will be invited to be a moderator. Of course, users can also request to become a moderator and the admins then look into their report success ratio as well as their activity around the community before deciding if they should become a moderator or not. If you are interested in becoming a moderator, you can contact us. If you want to see who the current members are on the moderation team, check out the FAQ here.