Monkeynutts discusses the merits of Acupuncture

So this diagram discusses the idea of qi, which is energy and how it flows threw the body.

Hey guys this short Take is going to be about my experiences with acupuncture.

Today I have a season acupuncture season with a traditional Chinese doctor, I have seen him for several years now, maybe five separate times in ten years. Considering how powerful and affective acupuncture is I'm considering only using western medicine for a once in a blue moon blood test.

For the past month I have been ruff sleeping on Mat's on my floor because I don't have a bed, in conjunction with poor sleep I also have a job that involves a lot of manual handling, bending and picking up heavy or awkward objects, So my back is a disaster area. I wake up and can't turn and sit up for about 15 minutes, I have to use rubbing ointments to increase heat and make the pain subside. My sleep has been broken into 4 hour blocks I'm lethargic and grumpy at work and I have had enough.

I went to the clinic this morning, as you walk in you are hit by a strong odour of exotic medicines, coming from a wall of draws mounted behind the counter. an old Chinese lady politely asks you if i needed assistance, and then tells me to sit and wait for the doctor.

About 15 minutes later the doctor arrives and invites you into his office and I tell him I have been here before, he asks me to write down my name on a scrap peice of paper because he can't pronounce my name, so he finds my medical records that are all hand written, and proceeds to question what's ailing me.

I tell him I want to try acupuncture again this time for lower back pain.

He proceeds to quiz me, about my sleep, do I get tingling in my legs? How's my appetite? Do I have regular bowel movements? Are they soggy? what colour is your urine? How much water do you drink a day? Do you get dizzy? I just tell him I'm depressed, in pain and then he test my heart rate in both hands, and scribbles more information on my records in Chinese.

Then he leads me into a treatment room, with two beds a young Chinese woman is having acupuncture as well she is laying on a bed and there is a fabric partition between us, in the background plays some gentle but not terrible oriental music.

So I loosen my belt and take my shoes off and lay down on a single bed. He asks me about where I feel pain, preps my lower back with antiseptic and strategical places about 10 needles of varing gauges into my lower back and tells me to just relax for thirty minutes, he closes my partition. And leaves the room to attend to another patient.

So I'm laying on a bed in a room, I only really felt one of the needles, the rest are to small, unlike in the past I am struggling to relax, and my breath seems to be affecting the treatment, normally I would fall asleep, not this time, I feel a mild altered state of consciousness, depression and foggyness of the mind dissipates.

Over the next twenty minutes I have several physiological and psychological experiences, of tremors in my arm, and slight euphoria.

When the thirty minutes is up I definetly really wanted to end the treatment, it was what felt like some of the needles were not 100% in the right pressure points.

The doctor comes in and takes the needles out he is slightly surprised that I have lost mobility, my core body temperature had dropped, and laying down for the past month has been difficult for me to move afterwards.

So eventually I rock myself up slowly and and stand in my feet, he asks how I feel, where the pain still is, and I show him in my back, this time he sits me down, and takes two more needles and pushes them about a centimetre into the same pressure point on both hands somewhere where the the bones of the pinky meet with your ring fingers on both hands, he then tells me to stand up, and I automatically get a flush of brain chemicals, much like serotonin, or a mild adrenaline rush, which I get a shock and tell him what's going on, and my back pain dissipates.

I thank the doctor, and tell him I'll be back in a week because I feel that these ailments have been straining muscles in my abdomen and grion region and I would like to have another season this time putting needles into the front of my body.

814

Most Helpful Girls

• 7d

He had trouble pronouncing ‘monkeynuts’... 🤔... interesting! Lol 😂
    Alternative medicine is great. But, I think the long term solution would be a change of job , or tasks within your job so that you weren’t heavy lifting. Thank you for sharing your experience. I hope it makes it less scary for others, so that they might seek out the benefits of alternative medicine for treatment.

• 7d

I've always been curious about Acupuncture, but this Take made me even more curious.
    I would give it a try if I was in pain. It sounds natural and effective.

• 7d

The best way to describe, the pain is if you compare it to tattoo, I would say tattoo is 80 and acupuncture is five, so it can hurt s little, it depends how much pain you are in to begin with, and if you can lay down and be comfortable, I think more western doctors should practice it because they have more money, that way they can design the clinic and treatment rooms with the most up to date comforts, if you were a big woman or man, this clinic would not be good for you, Chinese people are often smaller, so the beds are designed for someone 5.5 and 60kg. If is difficult for me I stretch out, my arm falls off the bed, but the doctor is very good, and he was the first doctor I had.

• 5d

It's good to hear that.

Thanks for the MHO. :)

Most Helpful Guys

• I'm only responding to this because I was invited to the question. Actually I have no experience whatsoever with acupuncture. However, I wouldn't assume that us westerners have all the answers. There could be some truth to it, and I would be open minded enough to try it if I had a serious ailment and all the western treatments failed.

• Its difficult because western doctors don't generally advise it, they sometimes think its like heathen witch craft, the Chinese been doing it for thousands of years.

• Its one of the best things I have ever done in my life, your body is one complete system, treat the disease not throw a drug at a symptom, the effect on the mind can be powerful, but you have to trust the guys that puts those needles in.

• My back is slightly bad, but not nearly as bad as what you described, and I no longer work. So I won't check into it. But if I was in your shoes and it was available, I would.

• That sounds amazing. Does it work like that for everybody?

• I think it can be different for everyone, many people have a serious needle phobia, so watching someone stick a needle 1 cm into your hand, some people would pass out, I'm tattooed and I have piercings all over my body, so I always thank the doctor, I like torture, but true fully I don't feel it, they are very sharp and very thin. The treatment costs me $43 I also got some medicine to help me sleep, and I feel 100% better, that post last night about Chris Columba's, my anger was showing because I was suffering. I'll be happyier for the next six months.

• 5d

Thanks for MHO

Join the discussion

612
  • That's quite a quick response, good to hear. I do believe it works, my own experience to prove and the more I hear and read about energy in the body, it makes sense this is one way of addressing the problem.

There may be other factors in play here you can address. I had a bout of this... not able to sleep, terrible back pain lower. How old are you Mr. Nut? your's sounds a little different... mine as you are physical labor, mine came out of sitting down for years. But the real culpret is stress.

Did you go through a breakup or emotional trauma... that would be implicated. Lack of sleep is a causation of not healing. Stress goes to your lower back fast/first, sex organs and cardio system pay the price next if all that stuff is jacked up. Seems black people get hypertension faster than white sometimes... that's anectodal.

Paint a better picture, I'll suggest other things. The #1 thing I would do is meditate! Another thing is strengthen that lower back by doing the opposite of whatever it is you are doing. but may have to hold off til the sleep/recovery is in place.

I rose out of my ashes and I'm better than ever. Body will heal... even a reported bulging disc which was BS. Tight muscles, weak body, stressed mind. Fix all that, body just fine for another 50 yrs!

• 7d

Yeah I'm thinking of sleeping upside down in a tree on my block with a bunch of grey headed flying foxes.

• 7d

lol... nothing will work til the stress is resolved and muscle tension is back in place correctly.

• 7d

Yeah I got some medicine and I have a few days of rest.

• I have never considered acupuncture treatment for myself but I am not opposed to non-traditional treatment approaches. I'm glad this works for you!

You need to get a mattress. Sleeping on a hard floor is horrible for you.

• 3d

Acupuncture seemed to work on Neo.

• Never experienced it. Sticking needles in sore muscles does release tension. Don't understand the various nerve connections enough to really say anything else.

• 7d

I hate myself for this considering am not hiding my dislike for you atm but whatever, however go and see someone who practices tantra *no it isn't all about sex i use it and it is very helpful for pain relief) my mate has a bad leg and i used the messaging techniques on her and she said my hands were softer and more genital than someone who does this professionally or better yet find someone around you and get them to place their thumb and index finger on the area that hurts and use an upward motion and apply little pressure, the key is make the muscle stiffen, then use a slow rubbing motion on the area. Do this for 1 and a half and your back should be feeling lighter if not then do it again.

• 7d

Yeah I really need deep needles. Even the doctor told me acupressure or massage won't get in deep enough to have a lasting affect. Thanks for contributing anyway.

• My dad has had it done a few times and it did help.
    I hope you sort out your bed situation soon.

• 7d

I have used acupuncture for various problems since 1984 because it works for me.

• 7d

That's awesome I think if any off those reasons have to do with depression its definitely worth telling others about. Acupuncture could save lives.

• 7d

Nice take. I've always had interest in accupuncture and such, if it is able to make a good difference with pain its better than being drugged up lol

• 7d

hmm never had it done but would be open to it. Glad it help!

• 6d

interesting, was reading about this with reflexology

• 5d

Nice take

• 7d

Accupuncture saved my life.

• 1d

Love acupuncture

• 1d

Yeah I'm a human pin cushion. This month I will get it once a week, then I will use it for qi development every month, probably till I die.

• 4d

I've always wanted to learn from monkeynuts

• 1d

whats the question dillweed? lame

• 7d

I never had an acupuncture session.

• thank you

• 1d

How long does it relieve the pain for?