Phobias: Not something to laugh at!

lost_girl2000
Phobias: Not something to laugh at!

So, a lot of us, whether we know it or not suffer from certain types of phobias. Me, for example, I suffer from claustrophobia. I'm not sure how this happened, but I guess it's because when I was little I had the misfortune of walking into moving sand and before my father could rescue me I was already quite deep inside the sand.

Anyways, I didn't have panic attacks due to my claustrophobia until I was about 11 years old. During a school trip, the bus's ventialation broke down and because it was summer and was quite hot I felt like suffocating. Like I had something in my chest and I couldn't breathe. It was terrifying. Ever since, when I am in confined spaces or even the mere idea of walking or staying into a small space makes me feel panicky.

Why did I choose to share this fact with you? Well, here is what happened. I recently had an injury on my foot and my doctor said I should have an MRI. See my point? Well, I was lucky enough that the injury was on my foot and I didn't had to enter the tube of the machine entirely. However that didn't stop me from feeling a little stressed cause I had to stay still for about 20 minutes. Well, the technician that was there didn't help me at all. Her tone was very strict and abrupt from the very beginning which made me feel even more stressed. She didn't even give me a bit of time to adjust to the situation. When the process began, I could literally feel my knees shaking. I was not terrified, like I would if I was inside the tube, but I was quite tense.

MRI Machine
MRI Machine

After some time had passed, I hear that woman from the headphones I was wearing asking me if I was ok. And I told her that I could feel my knees shaking. And she started scolding me, like I was doing it on purpose and shouting in the same abrupt tone that I should stay perfectly still, that the image would not be accurate and that I should try harder. Without giving me much time to process and try to calm myself, she restarted the machine and forgot to turn the tranquilizing music back on. As a result, the only thing I could hear was the loud sounds of the machine and her words playing again and again in my mind.

I did try to stay still believe. But still, my legs just couldn't hear me. They did their own thing. Of course, it was not as bad as in the beginning, but I could not stay perfectly still as I should. And at some point, I hear her again through my headphones shouting that she could see me tremble and that I should try harder and I could do much better than this. All I was thinking at that moment was burst into tears. I felt like suffocating, even if I was not inside the machine. And trust me all I wanted to do was run away.

I apologized for moving, saying that it was my first time. She kept shouting that it didn't matter and that I should stay still. On the verge of tears, I asked her if I could have a couple of minutes to calm myself. She did give them to me, but the damage was already done. I tried everything nothing worked. I could not calm down. All I wanted was to run away. Once again I heard her voice asking me if I wanted to try again. I hesitantly agreed wanting nothing more than be done with it. And her.

As the process began again I did everything in my power to stay still. But during the end, I just felt that I could take it anymore. I was ready to push the panic button to stop the process, but I was lucky enough because it ended. She got me out of there and got into the room, asking me how I was feeling. I told her that I was still trembling and she replied that if I had to get inside the machine what would I do. The mere thought getting inside that thing terrified me, so I simply replied that I would get in unless I was given some kind of tranquilizer. All she did was disregard my statement and said that she didn't want to hear that coming from a 21-year-old girl. I was feeling bad before, but that was the final straw. I said goodbye and got out of that room as quickly as I could.

The whole experience for me was not the kind you call plesantly memorable. What upset me the most was that everyone and I literally mean everyone from my mother, to that technician, to my doctor, completely disregarded my phobia. And instead of making me feel comfortable and try to calm me down, they made me feel guilty and stupid for it. Like I was doing it on purpose.

Phobias: Not something to laugh at!

Since that moment, I've been thinking how many people in the world have probably felt the same way. Having friends laugh at their fears, for example. Have people disregard their panic, because simply they can't understand it. People, you don't have to UNDERSTAND someone's phobia. All you need to do is SUPPORT them and SYMPHATHISE with them. Don't make them feel guilty or stupid. They don't derserve it. No one does. Imagine if the same happened to you. There are millions types of phobias. No matter how ridiculous some may seem, they are still a person's worst nightmare. What if you were that person. And someone laughed at you for fearing something they see as ridiculous, a joke. How would you feel?

Please think before you talk. And definitely ask before judging.

You don't know what you may cause.

Phobias: Not something to laugh at!
Phobias: Not something to laugh at!
4
4

Most Helpful Girl

• MORPHEUS_12
    Okay I am going to be real honest with you and explain my experiences with MRIs and CT scans. Between 2017-2018, I had 12 T-W-E-L-E-V-E CT scans on my brain. I also had 5 MRIs on my brain and neck or C-SPINE as the call it. When in the MRIs I had the bird cage over my head which it required for really good quality pictures. I have been in there when the claustrophobic patients come in and here's the truth. Medical personnel don't like dealing with the claustrophobic patients. It is annoying and having a fraidy cat is just a pain in the ass. Those machines are running 24 hours a day. There are patients who need that MRI more than you. Unfortunately they have to work in an often times crude assembly line manner. They don't like patients who have to be sedated. Several reasons is because they have to give you the sedative and then they have to wait to let it take affect. Depending of the person can take upwards of a hour and a half. That means all the other patients that could handle an MRI are going ahead of you. Their long gone by the time you are numbed out with drugs. So you just turned a 20 minute MRI, (your lucky because most of my MRIs have been upwards of 45 minutes) into a minimally a 4 to 5 hours you have to be at a hospital of facility. Then because you have been sedated they have to take extra precautions because you could fall. They have to watch you like a hawk. Also you will not be allowed to drive yourself. They don't allow Uber to take you home. So then you have to inconvenience a friend or a family member to come with you and to babysit you afterwards. They hate it when patients come in and can't sit still because that means that you are in the machine longer and they have to redo parts if not all of the scan because your movement blurs the image they are looking at. Then you go to your appointment to see the orthopedic on your foot and he tells you there is nothing wrong and your MRI was normal when in actuality there was an abnormal finding.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Firstly, I hope it's all well with your health. Secondly, I didn't go to a hospital to do an MRI. I don't know in which country you live, but in my country you can't just walk into a public hospital, especially if you live in the countryside like myself and do an MRI scan (because there is no personnel and the machines are ancient, if they even exist at all). You have to go to a private diagnostic centre and pay for it. That particular centre I went to was open until 7 p. m., so the machine does not run 24 hours a day. My appointment was at 6.30 p. m. I was the last patient. So I didn't delay any patients who needed the scan more than me. My mother accompanied me, so I wasn't alone. My mother had an MRI the week before me and she was given some kind of tranquilizer on the spot. It didn't take hours for the drug to kick in and it helped her relax. I understand your irritation with claustrophobic patients, it's obvious that you had to suffer from their phobia as a patient yourseld. What I'm trying to say is that at that moment I would have appreciated a little support, which could have made me feel better rather than been yelled at and feel accused of something I cannot control. We don't chose to be claustrophobics to irritate other people with far worse problems than us. We are as irritated by this situation as all the others maybe even more. Because being unable to control your own body and its reactions, sucks. But, if you are not a claustrophobic you cannot understand that and people like me continue to be just an annoyance.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Most Helpful Guy

• midnight_1443
    That's terrible! It's not easy. I've been made fun of for my fear of needles and butterflies/moths. I have been working on overcoming both, and an pretty good with butterflies and moths, but they still have to drug me to draw blood. People think n it's stupid, but it's terrifying. Why would I agree to let someone stab me? My blood is supposed to stay in my body... Anyway, clostrophobia is a common phobia, and should not be disregarded. I hope you get a better doctor, if you ever have to do something like this, again.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

33
  • WhiteMageDende
    I feel you. Phobias suck. I love the beach but im terrified of the ocean. Like i will literally fight anybody who tries to throw me in a large body of water. I can't even have the water touch me. I almost fought my pastor when he baptized me simply bc i couldnt see and felt water all around me. Its a horrible thing to have and its hard asf to get rid of
  • gumbydafish
    Wtf kind of radiologist treats a patient like that? I'm a kidney transplant patient and never in my life have I ever been disrespected like that! That woman should be fired...
  • nerms123
    I think your phobia is actually mild and normal but the way those people treated you is totally crazy!
  • namelessyoungold
    I have social phobia (afraid of judgement, people), jokes on me. All of them. All the fucking jokes.
  • leahzrc
    Im germaphobe
  • ChefCurry
    Not true. Its possible to laugh at anything