I am Not an Animal Person, But I am No Monster!

Before you all charge towards me with arguments, nuclear bombs, disgusting looks and quotes like "oh-I-dont-trust-people-who-dont-like-animals". Hear me out. Let me make few things clear first.

1. I don't hate them. I would just not prefer them in my house

2. I like cats, but doesn't mean I would be keen on getting one 24x7

Now why I am not into pets

Pets, especially cats and puppies are cute but I wouldn't want them in my home all the time.

1. Hygiene Concerns

I am a clean freak. Whenever I hear the word 'pet' these things come to my mind- pet hair, peculiar pet smell, scratches on furniture, their slime dripping everywhere.....ugh... I would want my home free of these things and I would have to work real hard to keep my house clean than it would take if it were without pets.

2. Priorities

To me, humans always come first. Pets can be a part of family but in my eyes, they will never be equal to humans. Ever. (I'm waiting for people to hate on me uhh)

3. I would rather have a baby

I really love babies. Somehow, in today's society its okay to 'not be a baby person' but is a blasphemy to 'not be an animal person'. Alas! :(

I would invest my time and energy in caring for my own baby than caring for a pet. I think this is natural as it is normal to have affinity towards our own kind.

Stop shaming anyone who doesn't want pets!

SO much generalization, so wow. Proves point number 3. When you search internet for "I don't like pets" many such pics come up. However, when you search for "I don't like babies" many images like this come up.

And I thought it was normal to have affinity toward our own. Smh. Just because I don't want a pet doesn't mean I am an untrustworthy, heartless bitch. It is just my preference to not have any. And that my priorities differ than yours.

It doesn't make you cool to generalize people who aren't pet fans. But hey, if you have cute cat or a puppy, I don't mind playing with it little 😇

Live and let live!

1934

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 34

• 4d

I would never date a woman who doesn't like animals, it's essential lol. I just can't trust someone who doesn't love animals. It doesn't matter what they say to justify it, it's just never gonna happen! Sorry!

• 4d

Just because someone doesn't love animals, doesn't mean that they are less of a person. That's the point of this take.

• 3d

... says a cat!!! 😂

1. Hygiene Concerns
    You do realise that babies are gross too? At least pets don't pee/poop on your bed or on your own body. I have barely had any kind of problem related to their hair. And my maid keeps it in check. You get used to their smell after a few days and cats don't pee/poop just anywhere, they can be taught. And you can take the dogs out for a walk (which is good for your own health) and the dog will understandably defecate outdoors.

2. Priorities
    Ego?

3. I would rather have a baby
    Why on earth are you even comparing pets with your babies?

• 5d

"I am a clean freak. Whenever I hear the word 'pet' these things come to my mind- pet hair, peculiar pet smell, scratches on furniture, their slime dripping everywhere... ugh... I would want my home free of these things and I would have to work real hard to keep my house clean than it would take if it were without pets."

you have obviously never had kids then... kids will shit and piss everywhere and anywhere while they are infants with no regards to anyone or anything.

human infants are absolutely disgusting compared to puppies or kittens.

• 4d

I have been around my niece a lot and even cleaned her pee, poop and changed her diaper few times. As I said in my take, I always place higher value on humans than on pets.

Note that,
      - infants don't shed hair
      - them peeing and pooping everywhere is a thing of few years. After that, there's absolutely no problem of it. Not to mention the fact that there are diapers

I don't think human infants are disgusting than puppies or kittens

• 4d

Back when I was on POF, any gal that would start her second paragraph by shaming men who didn't want pets was automatically dismissed. Some of us have allergies.

Also, I'm content that I can keep a single house plant alive, a real one that isn't made of vinyl. Why would I want some warm-blooded animal that makes messes, that can be a liability if I don't feed it at a specific time of day? If I wait till the evening to water my plant, it's usually quite forgiving.

• 4d

I like pets,, but don't have one myself because I don't have the time to take care of them,, If someone can't take of a pet, then their pets are neglected and usually the house is dirty and yards are filled with pet droppings.

• 5d

Waiting for the haters to come.

• 4d

Why lash out at people that don't want babies to justify you not wanting pets?

Maybe they feel the same way about you.

• 1d

I am totally with you! I am not an animal lover either. I don't believe in torturing animal or being cruel to them. But at the same time, I don't think humans and animals are equivalent. I don't understand people who treat animals like humans or better than humans.

It is just weird to me. But I don't have to like it. And those folks don't have to like me.

• 14h

I think it's silly to start measuring the value of lives. What are we basing it on?

• 3h

@Kkaos Uhm, when it comes to saving lives. Humans first. Maybe that's just me. I don't base it on anything other than humanity.

As for you, I don't know where you draw the line. You don't think that this all life thing is problematic? Even when you are eating a good steak?

• 5d

One doesn't need to think or feel like to understand you.

• 3d

definetly i would rather take that money and select a few orphan candidate below age of 8, and fund then in orphanage and keep funding their education and other resource to have them a better successful life and career

• 4d

I agree with you. People are unnaturally obsessed with pets, especially dogs. It's also hypocritical that most of them are totally fine with eating animals.

• 4d

And yeah, I don't dislike animals, but I just don't want to keep them in my house. It's a lot of work to clean up after them and they need a lot of attention to be happy. I'm too much of an introvert to keep up with that.

• 4d

Hopefully. Unless u fucked up.

• 4d

My dog > Your life.

• 5d

Thats not what your username hints at. You want that cat dead when you look inside! 😱

• 1d

Before I start insulting you, do you at least like Koalas?
    If not, you are a horrible person indeed!

• 5d

One of the symptoms of being a sociopath is not being an animal person.

• 5d

You shouldn't have to defend yourself for not being an animal person.

I was allergic to dogs, cats and anything that shed fur/hair as a kid.

• 2d

people have their state of opinion in what they want or don't want. If people are near freaks would like keep their home free of pet hair then so be it just don't do the talk and do the walk. Pets are in my opinion may not be humans but they do have feelings like all human beings do. I love pets especially dogs.

• 4d

You don't like any pets? I thought we had something special going on here 😔

• 4d

Babies are gross. Puppies are a lot better

• 4d

I agree with you and you should live how you want to live. Pets are big responsibilities so I can understand your concern, plus they are dirty, but so kids.

• 5d

For real

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 19

• 5d

Me too honey me too. I'm also not an animal person and annoying cats and dogs really annoy me. But I am all for caring about animals. I hate animal abuse and once watching this video of a man brutally beating a dog with stick to death has really made me soul tremble... I wanted to jump through the screen to save that dog. I screamed and cried. Only because I personally don't like dogs and avoid them doesn't mean that I enjoy killing animals.

Same for cats. I once saw little kittens in mud crying. They were so spoiled up I wanted to take them home and clean them and feed them then leave them again until they're better. But I knew that I wouldn't get permission to do so but that day also I returned home and cried. in fact, I AM tearing up now when I remember those poor kittens! :'(

Let's face it: Only because I love animals, doesn't mean that I love them in such a personal way that I want a pet or I give then affection wherever I see them. I agree with all of these.

• 4d

Exactly!
      I can admire a cat or dog from afar and pet them a little. But doesn't mean I'd take them home..

• 4d

You are just like my mom! She doesn't like pets but still doesn't support animal abuse or anything of that nature. I'm quite the opposite, or at least recently became an animal lover. I'm phobic of certain animals, the idea of touching a living piece of fur used to scare me, that's why I didn't label myself as an animal lover before. The moment when we babysat a black Labrador, I fell in love with him, my feelings towards pets changed, and I looked forward to having one.

• 7h

You seem indian so you're probably raised in a household that was indian. Most "foreigners" from that region (middle east, asia) don't like animals. They think they're dirty. It's just the way you've been raised.

But if I can't visit you with my dog, we canmt be friends.

• 4d

I Don't like pets or animals, because I don't want extra work in my life. I Have kids though, that's enough for me

• 4d

And people who don't like kids just have a preference too. What's your point? Don't get an animal then. Not like anyone forces you or expects you to have a pet. Where as society expects you to have kids. Which is bullshit. Humans are a cancer to the planet.

• 4d

@Blonde401 Whilst I agree with you 100%, I'm feeling a feistiness off the scale! You all good?

• 3d

Since I believe in humanity, I'd just assume that you are just messing with me for lulz

• 3d

Yeah cause everything's about the lulz isn't it? Because someone who doesn't agree with you must be trolling right? Because you're so arrogant and narcissistic that nobody could possibly have a different world view from you.

• 4d

If you think humans are above animals then you're wrong. You see animals as beneath you. I don't trust people who don't like animals, yes that's true. My opinion doesn't change either.

• 4d

I see humans above animals in the sense that
      - No animal can take place of other human.
      - If there's a situation where I can save either my pet or some other human being only, then I'd save fellow human being.

If you don't trust people who aren't fans of animals, it just tells a lot about your attitude: which is extremely judgmental and unfair. I don't have to love animals to be a better human being. I care more about my fellow humans, that's all.

• 4d

Actually yes you do, compassion for animals is a quality of a good human being. Which you lack.

• 4d

compassion
      kəmˈpaʃ (ə) n/Submit
      noun
      sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others.
      "the victims should be treated with compassion"
      synonyms: pity, sympathy, feeling, fellow feeling, empathy, understanding, care, concern, solicitude, solicitousness, sensitivity, tender-heartedness, soft-heartedness, warm-heartedness, warmth, love, brotherly love, tenderness, gentleness, mercy, mercifulness, leniency, lenience, tolerance, consideration, kindness, humanity, humaneness, kind-heartedness, charity, benevolence
      "she gazed with compassion at the two dejected figures"
      I do care about them. I am all for conservation of biodiversity and whatnot. That doesn't mean that I would bring one in my home to take place of other human being.

• 4d

That's cool. You do you :)

• 4d

I 1000% agree with you. I am the same way and people think because I don't like animals that I am some monster that shouldn't exist or at least not be trusted. It's stupid actually. I am very glad to see that I am not alone on this haha.

• 4d

Some people just aren't comfortable around animals. I am, but I can understand people who aren't.

• 4d

omg u rock! Dogs are so cute, but I really really really don't like having one in the house with me/touching me. My boyfriends mom hates me because she thinks I hate her dog lol

• 2d

Lol you are so self conceited. People like you can never value humans because you don't have respect or care for the voiceless and such a person can never be a good human. Its people like you who "put humans first" mentality who are responsible for the deaths for billions of poor creatures because of your fake and stupid narcissism of humans coming first. Because you will supporting animal testing, animal slaughter for your own greed and agenda.

Anyone who dislikes animals IS NOT A GOOD PERSON. And if my partner doesn't love animals, he will be kicked.

• 4d

I am actually exactly the same. When I say it though, I'm always labeled a legit sociopath...

• 3d

You are a monster.

• 23h

I love animals of all kinds-spiders, fish, oysters, and crocodiles- but it doesn't make me a good person to like animals, so why woukd it make you bad?
    I've been judged for not liking babies though, and it's also not very socially acceptable either-but it helps me relate to the article.

• 3d

I really like animals. Just not dogs. They annoy me. I like cats.

• 23h

I like dogs but no others

• 2d

The same here

• 5d

See, I'm someone who isn't a huge fan of kids but loves pets. I think that if someone doesn't want any pets or babies there isn't anything wrong with them. That's just their personal preference. But I will let you know that babies and kids can be just as messy if not more messy than pets.

• 5d

Interesting take