6 d

My 2020 recap - glowup edition

tallandsweet

2020 has been a very busy year for me with many ups and downs.

At the end of 2019 I got in an argument with my best friend, with whom I was very deeply in love at the time. I lost not only a great friendship but also the only guy that had ever loved me back at the time.

This is why I initially created an account on G@G – I wanted to have SOME outlet to talk about what was happening around me.

[Photo by Kat J on Unsplash]
[Photo by Kat J on Unsplash]

I took my finals at the beginning of 2020. After that, I got into more and more non-physical fights at school – I wasn’t in a good place. My skin was horrible, I was miserable and unhappy all the time and didn’t eat right. Breaking up with my best friend had more implications than I had anticipated.

Then, SARS-CoV-2 hit Europe and everything – life as I (we all) knew it – was shut down. I was extremely productive for 2 weeks or so because I had exams coming up, but when they were cancelled, my entire purpose was gone.

I had nothing to do. I lingered around the house, tried to exercise, mostly did nothing or just watched Netflix. I hated my life more and more every day.

[Photo by Christian Lue on Unsplash]
[Photo by Christian Lue on Unsplash]

This was when I got into a huge fight with my parents. That fight led to them kicking me out, which meant I had to find accommodation FAST.

I took care of everything – I applied to one University, went to Germany to look for apartments, decided on one, was accepted to said University (good grades) and felt a lot calmer once this was handled.

I had many loose ends in my home town I had to take care of. I went to my graduation ceremony, managed to go on holiday with my parents, worked as an intern during the summer and then moved away from home.

[Photo by Karly Jones on Unsplash]
[Photo by Karly Jones on Unsplash]

I didn’t know what to make of it during the first couple of weeks. All I did was clean and try not to throw up because it was so dirty. I had always assumed I would become friends with my flat mate, but so far, this hasn’t happened and I don’t think it will. I’m not happy with her being around and will try to move into an apartment for only myself as soon as the pandemic calms down a little.

I finally met my now-boyfriend in person. I was really busy with going on dates with him and handling university, I still texted my family regularly and was almost over the guy who had hurt me so deeply at the beginning of the year.

University sucked and continues to sucks. I enjoy attending classes, but due to government policies I can’t go to a restaurant with my boyfriend, I can’t just visit my family whenever I want to because travelling is so complicated and I can’t escape from the beautiful prison I’ve built myself (my room). I really crave some form of distraction.

[Photo by Florian Glawogger on Unsplash]

A close family member killed themselves recently. I don’t get it and not being able to attend the funeral is horrible for me because that way, I can‘t even express my support to those that would need me right now in person.

I’m tired of the situation and mostly stay inside so that I can pretend Covid-19 isn’t a part of our day to day now as this deeply frustrates me.

[Photo by Amin Moshrefi on Unsplash]
[Photo by Amin Moshrefi on Unsplash]

2020 was the year I needed. It allowed me to take a break from my everyday life when I needed it the most.

I dealt with some of the most intense emotions I’ve ever dealt with in my life and I’ll forever be grateful for making it to 2021.

How was your year?

Did you enjoy 2020? Did anything interesting happen to you?

My 2020 recap - glowup edition
5
1

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

15
  • Jjpayne
    Thanks for sharing your life with us! I think for everyone covid was a struggle including me. I had considerable depression towards the start of covid but thankfully things have gotten better but my favorite video store closed down so thats kind of a bummer for me 😞 but overall things are going steady, thanks for asking!
  • 20yearsolder
    My 2020 was fairly decent even though kovid was running rampant, I was considered an essential employee and never missed a day of work. For the first 4 months, I never wore a mask until I was required to. Like going into a customer's facility otherwise I don't wear them. Had a new roof put on my home, had new windows installed, completely gutted a room that wasn't being used and turned it into just a room to chill. All in all, 20/20's been pretty good to me
  • the_sinner
    2020 was okayish for me.
    I graduated and started with my first job but the long shut down n all made me lonely and lazy.
  • Bubbles45
    Congratulations, hopefully everything will be better in 2021.
  • *big hugs* ❤❤
  • Lostguuy
    2020 was a very odd year for me