1. You are not hiding your emotions.
2. You are being honest and not fake.
3. You are making sure no one takes you for granted even if it is a blood relationship.
4. It makes people reflect on their actions and their words.
It teaches them a lesson.
5. In some cases, people keep grudges for their self-respect.
It shows you value and respect yourself. It shows you have high standards and you refuse to be treated badly.
6. You have the right to be upset.
It is not compulsory to maintain relationships with people who made you upset without any remorse.
7. We are not great like Gandhi and Jesus who said, "if someone slaps you on one cheek, give them your other cheek."
8. It can help settle the score by rejecting someone's invitation, by ignoring someone, and it makes sure the other person is aware of your feelings.
9. It is wrong for someone to hurt your feelings and then just forget about it.
Chances are this will repeat again and again. This happened with me hundreds of times, where someone hurt me, I forgot about it, and then they hurt me again. Those people are my mother, her two sisters and my maternal grandma. I hate those 4 ladies. They treated me like shit and crossed all their limits. They bullied me.
I will never talk to them, I will never go to their house. They didn't help me when I needed them the most. I fell in love with my mom's cousin, who is also my mom's relative because of my aunty, and I asked my aunties to him my feelings, and they refused to help me. In the end, my 10 year old cousin helped me.
If a person treated you badly, he has no right to be surprised if you ignore or if you reject a dinner invitation. That person will call you proud, arrogant and that person will backbite and say you have attitude but don't let him pressurize you, if you don't like him, you don't.
Like one 60 year old man says on this app, we don't deserve anything, it is all about the effort and actions. He also says that some women don't understand actions have consequences. You get what you give.
Even if it is a blood relationship and the other person is older than you, I will say the same thing. Respect has to be two sided.